1.2k$ in inventory for 498$ Buying is the easy part?

Figured I would add some info here.  Started my store in 2015 and it has grown and hovers around 260k parts.  Last year I had 35k in sales between BL and BO.  I had a little over 1500 orders and have a $5 minimum buy with a fairly low shipping rate and no fees.  I sell mostly new parts but also have used minifigures and minifig parts/accessories/weapons etc.  Personally I try not to buy in a store that has fees, but sometimes still  do if they have exactly what I need.

I spend anywhere from 15-40 hours a week working in my store depending on how busy times are or if I have a lot of sets to part out.

The store is fun and allows me to buy the Sets I want and also pays for my truck lease, but at times it can get to you when you get home from work and realize you have a few hours of orders ahead of you.

Hope some of this information is helpful!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 4/23/2020 at 2:57 PM, Lobot said:

In all honesty, I've enjoyed it most of the time but unless you've got access to a lot of high-demand stock, there's easier and greater profits from selling sealed sets.  Some stores seem to do incredibly well, but from what I've seen you'd need a large inventory (250,000 parts+) for a viable return, and also make a lot of good decisions.

This last part seems key. It appeared to me that there was very little money in sealed sets but perhaps I was looking at the wrong information. I'm glad I've gotten the amount of feedback I have so far. Appreciate your input!

This last part seems key. It appeared to me that there was very little money in sealed sets but perhaps I was looking at the wrong information. I'm glad I've gotten the amount of feedback I have so far. Appreciate your input!
I would say the far majority of people on this forum only sell sealed sets. There is money to be made, but you have to be smart about it. You can't just walk into Walmart and spend $1k on random 20% off sets and expect to make money.