Using the postal system for buying and selling lego during this crisis?

nolan808

I just have a question regarding the current situation we are all in. I have recently lost all my main business earnings for the time being due to the lockdown we currently have in the uk, however I still have the lego side of my business which I'm able to continue with if I choose.

However I am very unsure on if I should be continuing it or not through the post offices. In the uk the post offices are allowed to be open and people at this given time are still allowed to post pretty much whatever item them want. I want to make clear that since the lockdown has been in place I HAVEN'T posted anything and have removed all my listings on ebay. I still however see so many people listing items etc showing they are still doing it, money is obviously very tight for me and a lot of others at the moment and still operating my lego business would of course help over the next few months or however long we are on lockdown.

What is stopping me is that it seems wrong to still do it, I do believe it should be more of essential items being delivered at the moment but that of course is very hard to judge what is essential for one person to another, is it essential for me to earn a little bit of money to tide me offer until the government help kicks in? Just to note our online stores in our country still operate as normal selling what they choose.

I read something earlier from the post office saying that they do need to remain open to all businesses and they say its important to deliver all goods to fund the whole operation.

Like I said I haven't been to the post office since our lockdown began as my MAIN WORRY is about the post office workers in this crisis, they do a great job and have amazing measures already in place to protect the public but it seems wrong to add to the burden of carrying out these tasks when clearly some people are already uncomfortable in there positions.

I would really like some opinions on this matter, I'm guessing a lot of you would of already thought about this.  

Stay safe to everybody. This has impacted so many of our lives, we all need to stay strong together as one.

Edited by raulaco

• nolan808 changed the title to Using the postal system for buying and selling lego during this crisis?

If there would be any Problems with the postal Service you would be told by the media. If something really important is getting shipped it wont be shipped by regular Post anyways. So no worries, they are happy they still have work. You might show your appreciation by a "thank you" or else...

3 hours ago, raulaco said:

I just have a question regarding the current situation we are all in. I have recently lost all my main business earnings for the time being due to the lockdown we currently have in the uk, however I still have the lego side of my business which I'm able to continue with if I choose.

However I am very unsure on if I should be continuing it or not through the post offices. In the uk the post offices are allowed to be open and people at this given time are still allowed to post pretty much whatever item them want. I want to make clear that since the lockdown has been in place I HAVEN'T posted anything and have removed all my listings on ebay. I still however see so many people listing items etc showing they are still doing it, money is obviously very tight for me and a lot of others at the moment and still operating my lego business would of course help over the next few months or however long we are on lockdown.

What is stopping me is that it seems wrong to still do it, I do believe it should be more of essential items being delivered at the moment but that of course is very hard to judge what is essential for one person to another, is it essential for me to earn a little bit of money to tide me offer until the government help kicks in? Just to note our online stores in our country still operate as normal selling what they choose.

I read something earlier from the post office saying that they do need to remain open to all businesses and they say its important to deliver all goods to fund the whole operation.

Like I said I haven't been to the post office since our lockdown began as my MAIN WORRY is about the post office workers in this crisis, they do a great job and have amazing measures already in place to protect the public but it seems wrong to add to the burden of carrying out these tasks when clearly some people are already uncomfortable in there positions.

I would really like some opinions on this matter, I'm guessing a lot of you would of already thought about this.  

Stay safe to everybody. This has impacted so many of our lives, we all need to stay strong together as one.

Same boat here, My construction business is mostly on hold.  part of me thinks don't needlessly clog the mail system, other part thinks it IS a need. two really ,money for my household and, lego sanity for cooped up folks. I'll probably reopen my BL store sometime today and reevaluate daily as things go on. 

16 minutes ago, Belac said:

Same boat here, My construction business is mostly on hold.  part of me thinks don't needlessly clog the mail system, other part thinks it IS a need. two really ,money for my household and, lego sanity for cooped up folks. I'll probably reopen my BL store sometime today and reevaluate daily as things go on. 

Construction was deemed essential in my area was that not the case where you're at?

I wonder how the volume of packages being shipped compares to Christmas.  I've chatted up my delivery guys, but haven't haven't asked them about volume, they haven't mentioned being as busy as the holidays.

2 minutes ago, fuzzy_bricks said:

Construction was deemed essential in my area was that not the case where you're at?

I wonder how the volume of packages being shipped compares to Christmas.  I've chatted up my delivery guys, but haven't haven't asked them about volume, they haven't mentioned being as busy as the holidays.

My UPS guy said the volume is approaching Christmas levels.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, fuzzy_bricks said:

In WA state. It's really job to job.   Ive a couple roof repairs(deemed essential) to get on right away. Also most of my clients would prefer to wait on main projects in living spaces now that there stuck at home. Good people,  Many will line up some "essential" little jobs if things get dire.  

18 minutes ago, fuzzy_bricks said:

I wonder how the volume of packages being shipped compares to Christmas. 

I see a lot less deliveries than even a typical normal march 31 myself and in surrounding neighborhood.

• Like 1

On 3/31/2020 at 10:05 AM, exciter1 said:

My UPS guy said the volume is approaching Christmas levels.

When UPS delivered to my business today, he said they are 85-90% Christmas levels.  He even said they called back a bunch of seasonal workers.

Just observing out my window, I see so many UPS, FedEX and Amazon delivery trucks.  

Edited by Goofball814

For ebay UK sellers, you can have parcels picked up from your house if you post via the ebay posting platform. Hermes and UPS offer this service,it is more expensive than just dropping parcels off at your local collection point, however as we are in lockdown, the extra 15/20% per parcel is not much in the grand scheme of things.