Ideas #031: 21323 - Grand Piano

Alpinemaps

20 minutes ago, Mathew said:

The app is central to the functions. No app then no music. That’s a big negative for those long term holds.  Not sure how else LEGO could’ve done it but the set has very limited appeal for me due to this. 

my opinion but most of the folks building this...like the ones building the high end Lambo and Chiron...buy it for the wow factors, build it...be amazed...show off to friends...then its a display piece for the next 5 to 10 years.  Never touched again.  That black screams of needing dust protection.

It's "elegant"...few...very few LEGO sets can say that so that puts the price point into perspective. It's a mantle piece or on a piano top...its shelf space comp are not other LEGO sets but vases and art pieces.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, beatpoppa said:

My hope: they expand this into a full orchestra theme over the next 10 years. That would validate perpetuating a usable app.

would love to see more instruments...doesn't have to be just orchestra...I'm a sax guy personally

or a completely different series... properly sized brick built musicians to sit at the piano... Rocketman...or Billy Joel. 

I don't know if there are enough colors of cheese wedges to do Elton John justice, tho   

At first I thought I could press a key on the keyboard of the Lego and that tone would play on my phone but I don't think so.  It does appear it would be able to sense individual notes.  Also, when playing music back like a player piano I noticed the repetition in the keys played, which makes sense I guess since it's probably all driven by a redundant pattern via a cam shaft.  As much as I love the NES I know it'll be the same thing.  Once I see the pattern of the same scene flowing on the TV that's all I'll be able to focus on.  Both have long-term 'display value' for me.  One each and that's probably it.  Beautiful design on the piano, it's very appealing to the eye.

I'm getting tired of people complaining about the increasing amount of (too) expensive LEGO sets they "HAVE TO" buy. If it's too expensive, you just shouldn't buy it. If you don't have the money, you just shouldn't buy it. But in the end I'm not really getting tired of those people because this "HAVING TO HAVE IT" is the foundation of the whole LEGO investing business.

For the Powered Up components I count a sensor, a motor, and a hub, and I can find a match to the hub at $50 and the motor at $13.  What is the estimated value of the WeDo sensor?  $10-15?  If so, then the Powered Up Package is about $75.  The piano itself, then, is about $274.99, or 7.5¢ per piece, which isn't bad at all, really.  Maybe I can sell off the included hub and recover some cost, I already have two.

15 hours ago, $20 on joe vs dan said:

would love to see more instruments...doesn't have to be just orchestra...I'm a sax guy personally

or a completely different series... properly sized brick built musicians to sit at the piano... Rocketman...or Billy Joel. 

I don't know if there are enough colors of cheese wedges to do Elton John justice, tho   

LEGO: Lets bring back Constraction figures.

On 7/23/2020 at 9:34 AM, Darth_Raichu said:

This thing actually plays music for $350

https://www.lego.com/en-us/product/grand-piano-21323

Sweet divinity of the musical Muses, this is absolutely astounding. Some changes over the submission but they stayed true to the original including the masterful mechanics. Also that seat looks mighty comfy. Haha.

2 hours ago, exracer327 said:

lol, Beethoven and Bach constraction figures.

A classic Beethoven bust would fit very well with this. I could easily see LEGO offering a free mini-build of such to go with every order of this.

4 hours ago, BricksBrotha said:

Dogs Corgis GIF by Cheezburger - Find & Share on GIPHY

This reminds me. I really need to exercise more.

• Haha 1

Of those here interested in the piano is it for quick flip or personal interest?  Seems similar margins could be made on cheaper sets.  I've backed away from selling big sets.  This is also a standalone set (Ideas) that doesn't fit into a long term city scale like the creator expert modular.  I'm not sure how this will do end of life.  My prediction is those that want it will buy it now and that's it.  Maybe $450-500 end of life (a guess) just out of reach for me to hold and make money on (after shipping).

12 hours ago, MusiKyle said:

Of those here interested in the piano is it for quick flip or personal interest?

isn't it always both nowadays?

I saw Lambo, liked Lambo, bought Lambo, QFLL Lambo, and profits offsets cost of Lambo for personal collection. This approach for sets I like has no downside as if I can't QFLL I'm "stuck" with a set I was going to buy anyway. I have also done this w/ the Haunted House and currently waiting for buy limit to expire.

rinse, repeat...will have all the cool new sets at 30-50% off....earning VIP points and GWPs along the way 

2 hours ago, $20 on joe vs dan said:

isn't it always both nowadays?

I saw Lambo, liked Lambo, bought Lambo, QFLL Lambo, and profits offsets cost of Lambo for personal collection. This approach for sets I like has no downside as if I can't QFLL I'm "stuck" with a set I was going to buy anyway. I have also done this w/ the Haunted House and currently waiting for buy limit to expire.

rinse, repeat...will have all the cool new sets at 30-50% off....earning VIP points and GWPs along the way 

You mean this isn't what everyone does?  I had just assumed we were all flipping to support our own habit.

14 minutes ago, Hardwired said:

You mean this isn't what everyone does?  I had just assumed we were all flipping to support our own habit.

I honestly can't imagine not flipping something like this. I don't want the piano at all, but I'd still flip it to pay for another set that I do want. Sets like this help fund the rest of my collection.

21 minutes ago, Serejai said:

I honestly can't imagine not flipping something like this. I don't want the piano at all, but I'd still flip it to pay for another set that I do want. Sets like this help fund the rest of my collection.

111 current ebay sales for the piano.  Apparently everyone else had the same idea too.

• 2 months later...

I was able to grab one from my LBR store yesterday.  They only got a couple in, but if you are interested I suggest calling your local store this morning.

Interestingly the seal was 32S0 so this came from Kladno in August.  That's a little longer than usual supply chain time for LEGO.  Must have been stuck on a boat somewhere.

• 2 weeks later...
54 minutes ago, HandyHand said:

Here's been offered on Amazon a few times, at a pretty steep discount. Sold out in minutes or maybe even seconds. Still hoping to be in time at some time to get one for my own collection.

I would buy at a discount but this is definitely out of my range at $350USD.  Don't want/need the electronics, would rather save $75.