Part out minifigs

Looking to find sets like the battle packs that you can sell the minifigs individually for or near the cost of the set. I have done this a few times with the battle packs where I bought it at full retail and sold the mini figures individually, after all the fees I made like 25 cents but I still have the loose pieces that came with it. There has to be larger sets that you can do this. I am helping start a lego club at the library and looking for ways to get loose pieces for low to no cost. Any ideas on sets where this works?

When you start to think about larger sets, they start to become more of a display than a play set, which means that they come with 3 or 4 minifigures for a $60 set. I think that for battle packs, only selling the minifigs will get you an ok profit, but if you try sets in the $30-$40 range, you probably will have to selll the ship/vehicle also. To get loose pieces for a low cost, the easiest way is going to thrift stores, mainly because they have no idea what they have and what it is worth. A lot of times, the pieces are in decent condition, so it sounds like this would be a good move for you. The only problem is that thrift stores are almost always hit-or-miss stores. Most do not advertise their inventory online, so you have to be willing to come back home empty handed. :(

When you start to think about larger sets, they start to become more of a display than a play set, which means that they come with 3 or 4 minifigures for a $60 set. I think that for battle packs, only selling the minifigs will get you an ok profit, but if you try sets in the $30-$40 range, you probably will have to selll the ship/vehicle also. To get loose pieces for a low cost, the easiest way is going to thrift stores, mainly because they have no idea what they have and what it is worth. A lot of times, the pieces are in decent condition, so it sounds like this would be a good move for you. The only problem is that thrift stores are almost always hit-or-miss stores. Most do not advertise their inventory online, so you have to be willing to come back home empty handed. :(

I have been looking for Legos at thrift stores for 10 years and have only found them two or three times. One time when I was little, I found all of the original Toa Mata, Nuva, Bohrok and Rahkshi! I bought two Rahkshi for $2 apiece. When I came back awhile latter, they still had the rest and i was going to buy more, but they were throwing everything away because of a lead poisoning or broken pieces scare, and they wouldn't let me have, or buy any! How stupid are they! Maybe if you live in a rich community you will have better luck at finding used or even new Legos.