Star Wars 2022 Movie Trilogy

Val-E

17 minutes ago, Val-E said:

This broke yesterday afternoon in the States. Honestly, it's a great that these two aren't having any part in the SW trilogy.  Some reports indicate that it's because they were serving two masters: Disney and Netflix.  They had to choose.

Others surmise that it was reaction to a recent talk they were giving in Austin which showed how out of their depth they were.

And of course, others believe that it was the fallout from Season 8 of Game of Thrones.

SPECULATION!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, TANV said:

This broke yesterday afternoon in the States. Honestly, it's a great that these two aren't having any part in the SW trilogy.  Some reports indicate that it's because they were serving two masters: Disney and Netflix.  They had to choose.

Others surmise that it was reaction to a recent talk they were giving in Austin which showed how out of their depth they were.

And of course, others believe that it was the fallout from Season 8 of Game of Thrones.

SPECULATION!

Word is they wanted to add dragons, have a ton of incest, and end every episode on a huge downer. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, fuzzy_bricks said:

I didn't watch any GoT, except for some clips on youtube, but what did these guys do to destroy all the goodwill they had built up in the previous seasons where everyone said this was the greatest show ever?

Some people didn´t like how the last season ended.

6 minutes ago, fuzzy_bricks said:

I didn't watch any GoT, except for some clips on youtube, but what did these guys do to destroy all the goodwill they had built up in the previous seasons where everyone said this was the greatest show ever?

It's not that bad, it just wrapped up really really fast.

• Haha 1

28 minutes ago, fuzzy_bricks said:

A couple of people who did well translating the books to TV series.  However, once the source materials dried up (books were late), so did the quality of the TV series

9 minutes ago, fuzzy_bricks said:

I can understand that.  Most shows I've seen lately seem to rushed at the end of the season/series, they try to wrap everything up in an episode or two.

They had twice the time to prep for last season and they knew this was going to be the last season.  No excuses for sh*t writing and plotting :devil:

As far as them quitting Star Wars, it could be a good or bad news.  If Disney were going to use them to make series out of EU books, then their exit would have been bad news.  If Disney wanted them to come up with new storylines etc, Disney just dodged the bullet on this one :D

7 hours ago, Val-E said:

More news as Disney admit to too many SW films.

https://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-50263749

Iger says. "I have not said that they [Star Wars movies] were disappointing in any way. I've not said that I'm disappointed in their performance. I just think that there's something so special about a Star Wars film, and less is more."

Really?!  Still not disappointed?  (Below) is a screen shot of a theater near me for opening night @ 6PM.  The 8PM showing has 15 seats available and the 10 PM showing has twice as many available as the 6 PM.  Star Wars has been on sale for a week and there are lots of seats available opening night.  Could it be that SW IX does even worse than Solo?  The 3D theater during the same times has more seats available than purchased.

By comparison the same theater was booked solid for 1.5 weeks within the first three days of ticket sales for Avengers: End Game.  AND, lest anyone think, "Well, that's Marvel," Solo was sold out well in advance of opening night in the same theater.  Granted, there is lots of time for those seats to get bought, but this isn't looking good for Disney or Star Wars.  There is no way Iger is excited for what is going on with this once powerful franchise.

image.thumb.png.a69137496f9e2c5cce7b61facb93d20a.png

For IMax, the only 6:30pm opening night that sold out is in 1 location at the richest part of town.  Still some spaces in the 10:30pm showing.  To be fair, they have 5 regular screens sold out for 7pm, but you can buy 8:15 pm just fine :P

Anywhere else in town though, I can easily buy tickets for any showing I want :D

In comparison, for Last Jedi, I could not even find a spot on opening night anywhere just 1 week after the tickets went on sale.

I am gonna bet Frozen 2 in its 5th week will give ep9 opening week some good competition on the box office ranking.

My experience is a bit different.

I tried to get seats for a 6pm show at my favorite theater and it was sold out within 5 minutes of tickets going on sale.

I switched to my backup theater and a 6:15 show and was able to get in.

I just went back and checked and all shows at my backup theater are sold out for opening night.

BUT

Those are standard shows. There are still tickets available for 3D and IMAX shows.

I think it’s a combination of every theater showing it, 20 shows in one evening at every theater, plus a lack of internet in 3D / IMAX. I’m content with a standard screen. Over saturation definitely.

42 minutes ago, Darth_Raichu said:

For IMax, the only 6:30pm opening night that sold out is in 1 location at the richest part of town.  Still some spaces in the 10:30pm showing.  To be fair, they have 5 regular screens sold out for 7pm, but you can buy 8:15 pm just fine :P

Anywhere else in town though, I can easily buy tickets for any showing I want :D

In comparison, for Last Jedi, I could not even find a spot on opening night anywhere just 1 week after the tickets went on sale.

I am gonna bet Frozen 2 in its 5th week will give ep9 opening week some good competition on the box office ranking.

true dat.  we have the countdown clock going around here.  

Edited by cladner
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Belac said:

Curmudgeon Alert:  Internet in the theater? Why is that important?(or even an option) There shouldn't even be phone service needed in theater outside of 911 service. ??

Cannot share the selfies of me watching the movie to Instagram/Facebook/Twitter/Youtube without internet.  Definitely not cool !!!

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Belac said:

Curmudgeon Alert:  Internet in the theater? Why is that important?(or even an option) There shouldn't even be phone service needed in theater outside of 911 service. ??

I thought Americans went to the cinema as an excuse  to have dinner out and use their WIFI - the movie being third priority.

4 hours ago, Darth_Raichu said:

Yeah, I only used one theater as an example, but the same is true here too - tickets at almost any location at any time.  Same for Last Jedi with us as well, was sold out within the first week for opening weekend and possibly into the following week.  I'm willing to bet money Skywalker will sell out... eventually.  But Disney has  to be looking at pre-ticket sales and thinking "uh, oh."

Re: Frozen, that would be something, especially against an opening weekend.  It would be hard to think of an opening weekend for a SW movie not hitting the top spot, but is there anything else coming out the same weekend to challenge it?

"Jumanji: The Next Level" comes out 12/13.  The last one was great, possibly even better than the original.  Never know with sequels though.  

"Crown Vic" - cop vs killer story 12/18 - Description doesn't impress me, but who knows.

"Cats, The Movie" is 12/20 (same weekend).  I don't see that as being competition, but it'll take up theater space and it is the longest running broadway play in history.  So it will have a strong following but I doubt it'll be competing for the same audience.

I think Jumanji 3 might be the strongest competition.  I know Jumanji 3 is the one our family would vote for.

What if SW IX loses money just like Solo did?  How long would Disney need to wait before they could release another SW movie?

Watch with your own grain of salt: https://www.findclip.net/video/bNCuSHbOYrQ/six-endi.html

If Disney really has "six endings" and has done major revisions (as the OP and subsequent MAJOR revisions suggests) I can't imagine how much this movie is going to end up costing.  We're a long ways past, "I've got a bad feeling about this."

That said, I also can't imagine Disney ever releasing the franchise even if it did lose money.  Who else has billions of dollars to buy it from them?  Disney already bought 20th Century Fox itself, so...    Netflix?  Maybe Apple TV? lol   Disney paid $4 bil for the franchise and so far they've only made around $2 bil with their last movie losing money.  This could get very interesting.