Is this a new era?

1 minute ago, MahoneyOne said:

I think I just entered into a new era of Legodom.

Loved Lego as a kid, emerged from the dark ages as an adult for the Star Wars initial release, then returned to a second dark age with work-and-life-stuff. 

Arrival of The Next Generation gave me reason to step back into it, along with a mandate that I get some sort of hobby that doesn't involve a kitchen remodel when my partner is out of town for a long weekend. 

Thus Era 3 began, and for the last few years I've been overdoing it, following your antics, sales and deal hunting. I got into the sales game. All progressing.

Then, I bought a few yard sale lots. Then a few more. Then a few more. Then a few more.

I think I've gone down the rabbit hole. I've sorted and washed more parts in the last few weeks than I had in total before now. I've discovered corners of Legovilization that I never knew existed. I've learned to curse the false-bricks, and begun to identify them by feel alone. I've found and listed a few diamonds from the rough.

For those of you who have earned and accumulated the wisdom of the Lego ages, is this an entirely new level I've discovered? Is there a way back? Is there hope of seeing my desktop absent a little yellow head ever again? Why didn't Nancy Reagan warn us about this? 

Nope, you definitely sound like a goner too.

If it means anything, the club does have jackets.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

As long as you enjoy the game, and make a profit you're happy with, there is no way back.

Once it becomes a drain mentally or time wise, you'll step back to reality. Catch your breath, then dive back in.

If you happen to be losing significant amounts of money... well the buying problem eventually solves itself that way.

• Like 3

(Kidding... )

Luckily for me, I set aside the hourly calculation long, long ago. In my "business case", this is a hobby, a thing to share with my kid, and a palate cleanser from the work stuff. Those of you who do this as a business are hard core, and far better than I am.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, MahoneyOne said:

I think I just entered into a new era of Legodom.

Loved Lego as a kid, emerged from the dark ages as an adult for the Star Wars initial release, then returned to a second dark age with work-and-life-stuff. 

Arrival of The Next Generation gave me reason to step back into it, along with a mandate that I get some sort of hobby that doesn't involve a kitchen remodel when my partner is out of town for a long weekend. 

Thus Era 3 began, and for the last few years I've been overdoing it, following your antics, sales and deal hunting. I got into the sales game. All progressing.

Then, I bought a few yard sale lots. Then a few more. Then a few more. Then a few more.

I think I've gone down the rabbit hole. I've sorted and washed more parts in the last few weeks than I had in total before now. I've discovered corners of Legovilization that I never knew existed. I've learned to curse the false-bricks, and begun to identify them by feel alone. I've found and listed a few diamonds from the rough.

For those of you who have earned and accumulated the wisdom of the Lego ages, is this an entirely new level I've discovered? Is there a way back? Is there hope of seeing my desktop absent a little yellow head ever again? Why didn't Nancy Reagan warn us about this? 

Make sure you’re keeping track of everything you spend. Gas, bags, food, sets, parts, storage, tape, boxes, paper.  Everytime you make a purchase, take a picture of the receipt. It all adds up. You’ll be alright. 

18 minutes ago, Foreman Porgy said:

Make sure you’re keeping track of everything you spend. Gas, bags, food, sets, parts, storage, tape, boxes, paper.  Everytime you make a purchase, take a picture of the receipt. It all adds up. You’ll be alright. 

I hate to admit this, but the spreadsheets and calculation are part of the fun. It's a dataset that I can play with. 

This "hobby" , or "obsession", has prompted me to break out skills that I haven't used in ages. One of these days I will get a nice big dataset to run all sorts of cool analysis. Just the the cool kids here do. 

5 hours ago, MahoneyOne said:

I've sorted and washed more parts in the last few weeks than I had in total before now.

sounds exactly like my journey out of the dark ages/into secondary market. 

I found I couldn’t source enough to generate the income I would need for a full-time endeavor. that was before the recent walmart clearance lol which even then I was limited. 

for me, it is a passion 1st ? earning money from it is a plus. the future possibilities is where I get really excited ? 

welcome to the club ??  

p.s. I totally vote for jackets ?

47 minutes ago, isawred said:

sounds exactly like my journey out of the dark ages/into secondary market. 

I found I couldn’t source enough to generate the income I would need for a full-time endeavor. that was before the recent walmart clearance lol which even then I was limited. 

for me, it is a passion 1st ? earning money from it is a plus. the future possibilities is where I get really excited ? 

welcome to the club ??  

p.s. I totally vote for jackets ?

Yes, the struggle is real. That's why a number of folks are on this support group I mean Investing forum? I also vote for jackets. I would totally rock that?!

• Like 2

6 hours ago, MahoneyOne said:

I hate to admit this, but the spreadsheets and calculation are part of the fun. It's a dataset that I can play with. 

This "hobby" , or "obsession", has prompted me to break out skills that I haven't used in ages. One of these days I will get a nice big dataset to run all sorts of cool analysis. Just the the cool kids here do. 

If you like that part of it, you'll do OK. I hate that stuff, and as a result have struggled off and on with feeling overwhelmed with my supply - what am I going to do with all of this stuff. You will probably find that it ebbs and flows. The one piece I would give as advice, is to just be aware of the "doing it for my kid" vs. just doing it in general. My son turned 11 this year, and he still loves Lego but is getting less and less interested in it....so I do look at a lot of the "saved" sets in my office and wonder just how many more we're going to open. 

• Like 3

50 minutes ago, nolanfan34 said:

If you like that part of it, you'll do OK. I hate that stuff, and as a result have struggled off and on with feeling overwhelmed with my supply - what am I going to do with all of this stuff. You will probably find that it ebbs and flows. The one piece I would give as advice, is to just be aware of the "doing it for my kid" vs. just doing it in general. My son turned 11 this year, and he still loves Lego but is getting less and less interested in it....so I do look at a lot of the "saved" sets in my office and wonder just how many more we're going to open. 

On the plus side, it's those sets you intended to keep that were held long enough to be worth a lot more. :D

• Like 1

3 hours ago, KShine said:

Most days, I feel smothered, buried under so much LEGO - Unable to move, unable to breath.

Interesting. I'm curious about this. Do you have pieces you part out always staring at you or full sets? If full sets, are you unwilling to sell? I actually like looking at all of my full sets. 

17 hours ago, lodibricks said:

On the plus side, it's those sets you intended to keep that were held long enough to be worth a lot more. :D

That is partly true for sure. I have never stocked up on the big sets, but more of a "one of each" mentality. I'm looking at like 6 modulars asking myself, are we really going to open and build these? They are worth something at least. :-)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, nolanfan34 said:

That is partly true for sure. I have never stocked up on the big sets, but more of a "one of each" mentality. I'm looking at like 6 modulars asking myself, are we really going to open and build these? They are worth something at least. ?

Not sure if you have had the pleasure of building any modular sets yet, most are really great builds.  And obviously worth a bit used too:)

I've embraced that this hobby is for me. I get to share with my son, but I own my own enjoyment. 

Out of curiosity, how many folks use a "make me move" style listing of particular figs/sets? I've listed a few things at a price where I'd be willing to part with it, even if I don't really want to.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, MahoneyOne said:

I've embraced that this hobby is for me. I get to share with my son, but I own my own enjoyment. 

Out of curiosity, how many folks use a "make me move" style listing of particular figs/sets? I've listed a few things at a price where I'd be willing to part with it, even if I don't really want to.

Not sure what you mean? Ebay? Are you listing something super rare at a high price? Or are you listing your NASA rocket for $300?