Ideas #028: 21320 - Dinosaur Fossils

MusiKyle

32 minutes ago, $20 on joe vs dan said:

I think it's pretty cool.  Obvious wanted the piano...but that decision has been deferred.

I really hope LEGO explores the biological world more...this set is another nice forray into that realm while still leveraging global interest in dinos...but why no T-rex?

Have any previous projects been deferred? Would it make it more of a chance to be successful if so? I think its pretty cool, but Im not a huge piano fan, but would buy because of the novelty/playability.

I think the Skeletons are a good choice, probably along the lines of the Birds trio in terms of target audience. I must say that I hope they keep the scale of these. There is a good chance Lego might only include 3 skeletons of the four and overall or update the build in a bad way (like the Flintstones set). 

Don't forget, they did make a similarly styled T-Rex in the Research Institute, even though it was much smaller.

1 hour ago, CosmicSpeed said:

Have any previous projects been deferred? Would it make it more of a chance to be successful if so? I think its pretty cool, but Im not a huge piano fan, but would buy because of the novelty/playability.

I think the Skeletons are a good choice, probably along the lines of the Birds trio in terms of target audience. I must say that I hope they keep the scale of these. There is a good chance Lego might only include 3 skeletons of the four and overall or update the build in a bad way (like the Flintstones set). 

Don't forget, they did make a similarly styled T-Rex in the Research Institute, even though it was much smaller.

no offense to the ornithology enthusiasts, but I expect the audience that loves dinos are waaay more savvy...and much more inclusive of kids...this set is apples and oranges to the Birds set; but still a bit niche-y. I think LEgo is doing great by broadening their "real science" offerings...bringing in nonLEGO fan enthusiasts.

22 minutes ago, $20 on joe vs dan said:

no offense to the ornithology enthusiasts, but I expect the audience that loves dinos are waaay more savvy...and much more inclusive of kids...this set is apples and oranges to the Birds set; but still a bit niche-y. I think LEgo is doing great by broadening their "real science" offerings...bringing in nonLEGO fan enthusiasts.

But, I thought Birds ARE Dinosaurs?!?!? ?

Maybe they're saving the T-Rex for the Proposed Jurassic Park set...

• Like 1

2 hours ago, CosmicSpeed said:

If memory serves, Voltron was initially deferred.  Obviously, it was eventually approved.  I want to say there was also maybe a jet/plane of some sort that got extended to another review, but ultimately went nowhere.  Not sure about that...it's been some years.

23 hours ago, CosmicSpeed said:

21 hours ago, Dr Jedi said:

If memory serves, Voltron was initially deferred.  Obviously, it was eventually approved.  I want to say there was also maybe a jet/plane of some sort that got extended to another review, but ultimately went nowhere.  Not sure about that...it's been some years.

@Dr Jedi is correct.  There was a plane a couple years ago that went to an extended review, but was ultimately turned down.  Voltron was deferred after it's first review; most likely due to hammering out the licensing rights (since they are a little more complicated).

• 4 months later...

$60 is very attractive for the set and certainly fits the desire to MOC the final scene in the original JP with a velociraptor fight followed by the Rex. Scale might be a issue.

I think I would have liked to have seen more colored texture than the bone white, more greys, tans, and browns, like a true fossil.

Sent from my iPhone using Brickpicker Forum

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, thedingman5 said:

Massive letdown... ...Also, four of the five models from the original submission are gone...

Valid criticism. 

IDEAS sets like this get a criticism-free pass from me because they are so catalytic in wedging science jumping-off points into a free-time landscape dominated by Minecraft & Fortnite. This is a rare commodity in a parent's arsenal.

• Like 5

Massive letdown.  No longer look like skeletons and are shock-white in color.  Also, four of the five models from the original submission are gone. 
Terrible conversion from the original submission.
Just a 31058 remake wolf in sheep's clothing.  Very disappointing.

I have to agree. When I first saw the release I thought it was pretty cool, but then your post made me go back. I didn’t like all 5 of the original models, but the color and size and style were great. Too bad. I’d be pissed if I were the OC.

I appreciate the effort and have been talking about a similar type of set for years, but LEGO dropped the ball.  This could have been an entire theme, with more complex, individually packaged dinosaur models, with little UCS plaques for each.  It could have been a truly collectible theme.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Ed Mack said:

I appreciate the effort and have been talking about a similar type of set for years, but LEGO dropped the ball.  This could have been an entire theme, with more complex, individually packaged dinosaur models, with little UCS plaques for each.  It could have been a truly collectible theme.

if these are gobbled up like TVFriends sets...then maybe a series will be born.

I loved it at first glance and still like it a lot 2nd day and after watching the linked VID above...but why does T-Rex have a penis?