LEGO Regional Exclusives to Be Available Worldwide

Dear AFOL Community,

It has become apparent to us at the LEGO Group that you are dissatisfied with the recent launches of regional exclusive products. We’ve received a lot of feedback on the LEGO festival products to mark the Chinese New Year (sets 80101 and 80102), the LEGO The Movie 2 Brickheadz (41634, 41635,41636 & 41637) in the US as well as the LEGO Star Wars 20th Anniversary Darth Vader Bust (75227).

Because of this feedback and concerns from you, our dedicated and most loyal fans, we have decided that regional exclusives launched after May 1, 2019 will become widely available via LEGO Brand Retail stores and LEGO Shop at Home after a limited period of time (3-6 months) of the initial launch.

In the following areas we will still be launching products, which will have a certain limitation to availability and production runs:

• Pilot projects, such as Forma, to check out markets and opportunities without being able to make them widely available.
  • Gift With Purchase campaigns through LEGO Shop at Home and LEGO Brand Retail.
  • Products only sold in certain experiences (for example LEGOLAND, LEGO House & LEGO Brand Retail stores).
  • Special Event Sets (Comic Cons, LEGO Inside Tour).
  • Like 1

It says plain as day that regional exclusives launched after May 1st... I don't get what is so confusing about that... CNY exclusives, TLM2 Brickheadz and Vader Bust were all launched before May 1st, therefore they will not be re-released... if Tabby wants a Vader Bust so badly he can buy one from me on Ebay in a month when prices rise...

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using Brickpicker Forum mobile app

• Like 4

2 hours ago, $20 on joe vs dan said:

IDK..a comma would change teh message completely:

"Because of this feedback and concerns from you, our dedicated and most loyal fans, we have decided that regional exclusives launched, after May 1, 2019 will become widely available via LEGO Brand Retail stores and LEGO Shop at Home after a limited period of time (3-6 months) of the initial launch.

devil's advocate...I know; but the door is open for exclusives to be re-released (IMO) 

But the comma wasn't there! THis is how bad rumor starts! 

6 minutes ago, thegraverobber said:

Well, that’s not what it says. I’m not saying that 100% won’t be the case, but if that’s how you’re reading that I have no idea where you’re getting it from.

well if everything could be taken at face value...then sites like this would not exist or be nearly as popular...the experience (paranoia) of the HORDE is what allows for speculative prediction that may potentially be meaningful. it's like the stock market and press releases...what the message says and doesn't say and what it all means for market dynamics...that's where folks make their hay or completely lose it.

I know...we're beating a dead horse here...but if it was a Tom Tom there would be a skywalker inside

I read it, after May 1 you can buy the regional exclusives (already released), not just future ones
It says that regional exclusives LAUNCHED after May 1st...

Again, I don't get what is so confusing about this statement... There are no imaginary comma's anywhere... this isn't a down quarterly report... This is simply saying that people such as Tabby finally complained enough that future launches will eventually be available worldwide... everything else is just people trying to make it say something it doesn't.

I am going to start calling Lego and telling them that I don't think it is fair that I never got a chance to buy the Comicon Brickheadz and they need to make those available at SaH so I can complete my collection haha

• Like 3

Guest TabbyBoy
4 hours ago, Shortbus311 said:

It says that regional exclusives LAUNCHED after May 1st...

Again, I don't get what is so confusing about this statement... There are no imaginary comma's anywhere... this isn't a down quarterly report... This is simply saying that people such as Tabby finally complained enough that future launches will eventually be available worldwide... everything else is just people trying to make it say something it doesn't.

I am going to start calling Lego and telling them that I don't think it is fair that I never got a chance to buy the Comicon Brickheadz and they need to make those available at SaH so I can complete my collection haha

The Darth Vader Bust is a potential huge cash cow and LEGO would be mad to not milk it. They have the design, the box, the bricks, the fans - easy money!

With me, this stems from the Architecture Studio that was originally US only and then only came to the UK after it retired in the US. None of us know what LEGO is up to and I just can't help thinking that they'll shaft us any which way they can, whether intentional or not.

By all means call LEGO, perhaps we all should and then see if they REALLY listen to their unofficial resellers fans. We all read things differently and only the author of such a potentially misleading statement knows the true meaning.

55 minutes ago, Jimking23 said:

I interested in seeing how this will affect the future SDCC sets.

They specifically mention that these are excluded

In the following areas we will still be launching products, which will have a certain limitation to availability and production runs:

• Pilot projects, such as Forma, to check out markets and opportunities without being able to make them widely available.
  • Products only sold in certain experiences (for example LEGOLAND, LEGO House & LEGO Brand Retail stores).

10 hours ago, $20 on joe vs dan said:

well if everything could be taken at face value...then sites like this would not exist or be nearly as popular...the experience (paranoia) of the HORDE is what allows for speculative prediction that may potentially be meaningful. it's like the stock market and press releases...what the message says and doesn't say and what it all means for market dynamics...that's where folks make their hay or completely lose it.

I know...we're beating a dead horse here...but if it was a Tom Tom there would be a skywalker inside

Tom Tom, lol.

I think you're missing the point. Nobody is saying it's completely 100% out of the realm for past exclusives to be made more widely available. We're just saying that there's nothing in THAT statement that suggests it.

Speculation is fine. Adding punctuation and misinterpreting basic English is when this gets far-fetched. 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Legojona said:

They specifically mention that these are excluded

Mark me down as one of the members with reading comprehension issues.?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Much ado about nothing.  Looks like LEGO experimented with some regional exclusives as a marketing ploy (post TRU) and feedback was bad, so they stopped it.  There will still be Comic Con and convention exclusives.  There will still be limited edition sets, but they will be sold across the globe.  These few sets released prior to May 1st will be a nice investment for some, but I don't think they were major enough sets for re-release.  If anything, people will now know what to expect and it will be just like before...pick the right sets and you will make money. 

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Ed Mack said:

Much ado about nothing.  Looks like LEGO experimented with some regional exclusives as a marketing ploy (post TRU) and feedback was bad, so they stopped it.  There will still be Comic Con and convention exclusives.  There will still be limited edition sets, but they will be sold across the globe.  These few sets released prior to May 1st will be a nice investment for some, but I don't think they were major enough sets for re-release.  If anything, people will now know what to expect and it will be just like before...pick the right sets and you will make money. 

I'm sure the hordes have complained in the past to deaf ears at Legos; so can we speculate on why this is any different?

I'm guessing it's the type of complaint because Lego has indirectly showed favoritism towards China region...so i would guess other regions made a fuss and Lego Execs saw the political mess; also maybe Lego was trying to undermine the Lego KNock-offs base and instead found their attempts to have fueled it more. 

41 minutes ago, $20 on joe vs dan said:

I'm sure the hordes have complained in the past to deaf ears at Legos; so can we speculate on why this is any different?

Sometimes Im not sure if your posts are legit or are purposely trolling people.  Either way, dont underestimate the 'need' from Star Wars fans or Brickheadz collectors. The Asian exclusives were popular but my guess is the Vader bust was enough to tip the scale.  Lego has known complainers, these events just brought them out in overwhelming amounts.  Hence the reaction from TLG

1 hour ago, $20 on joe vs dan said:

I'm guessing it's the type of complaint because Lego has indirectly showed favoritism towards China region...so i would guess other regions made a fuss and Lego Execs saw the political mess; also maybe Lego was trying to undermine the Lego KNock-offs base and instead found their attempts to have fueled it more. 

I really think you are going too deep here.  This is about advertising and exclusivity.  LEGO has dabbled with this for years.  Since TRU closed, it seems that they have tried different things with various retailers.  Even the release of the UCS Falcon was exclusive with the "Black VIP" card.  I took advantage of some of these deals, but I think they were handled incorrectly.  More people should have had a chance to own these sets.  You were correct when you said this only fueled up resellers.  I guess they learned that lesson.

it actually fired up some of the secondary market for a bit though.  Which was good.  General conversation about the product whether positive or negative is still conversation and will get people to buy other stuff.   The 2 biggest threads in a long time have been the TLM2 Bhz and Vader Bust.  Not much has drawn excitement like that the past few years.   

They did get bombarded with people calling stores and complaining that they couldn't buy them but that is what the point of the sets were in the first place.  Wasn't like they were doing a ton.  It gave the retailers something to chose that was a true exclusive for them as well which was good for them.

So now it can just go back to normal overproduced LEGO with no hoopla.  Yay

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, ravenb99 said:

it actually fired up some of the secondary market for a bit though.  Which was good.  General conversation about the product whether positive or negative is still conversation and will get people to buy other stuff.   The 2 biggest threads in a long time have been the TLM2 Bhz and Vader Bust.  Not much has drawn excitement like that the past few years.   

They did get bombarded with people calling stores and complaining that they couldn't buy them but that is what the point of the sets were in the first place.  Wasn't like they were doing a ton.  It gave the retailers something to chose that was a true exclusive for them as well which was good for them.

So now it can just go back to normal overproduced LEGO with no hoopla.  Yay

Exactly.  I think LEGO tried and caved to a handful of fans.  Seriously, how many people wasted their time to call or write?

• Like 2

I really think it was the CNY sets that did it. Personally know multiple folks celebrating CNY, Tet, lunar new year that were very upset these were only available in a few places in Asia proper. Marginally based on per capita spending on LEGO these sets were a huge fail and loss. These sets were some of the most original, creative and just plain cool sets to come out in the last few years and they weren’t even available in most markets. I would bet more money is spent on LEGO by people who’s families emigrated from Asia than is bought by folks living in that region.

Sent from my iPhone using Brickpicker Forum

• Like 1