Ideas #025: 21317 - Steamboat Willie

LEGO-Ideas-21317-Steamboat-Willie-1-1.thumb.jpg.5ce17118dd3fd76d77138a0e26808e0f.jpg

LEGO-Ideas-21317-Steamboat-Willie-5-1.thumb.jpg.82d4c7d830b6630af1d284a60d3129a6.jpgLEGO-Ideas-21317-Steamboat-Willie-10.thumb.jpg.1dbcdf6c899e9a8e5c43ffbc82ef2418.jpgLEGO-Ideas-21317-Steamboat-Willie-7.thumb.jpg.f9b01d0d0315ab8ac3bbd71df7150139.jpg

Disney Mickey Mouse fans will love this LEGO® Ideas 21317 Steamboat Willie building toy marking the 90th anniversary of the most famous cartoon character ever. Mickey Mouse made his screen debut in a 1928 black-and-white animated short film called ‘Steamboat Willie’, which was also the first Disney film to have synchronized sound. This LEGO brick version of the S.S. Willie features steam pipes that move up and down and paddle wheels that rotate when the boat is pushed along. The boat’s bridge has room for a minifigure and play-inspiring nautical details such as the ship’s wheel, life buoy and buildable bell. On deck there is a working crane to lift the ‘potato bin’ cargo aboard and this unique toy building set comes with new-for-April-2019 Mickey Mouse and Minnie Mouse minifigures, each with special silver-colored decoration, plus a parrot figure. An ideal LEGO set for kids and adults to recreate scenes from the original Mickey Mouse cartoon or simply build and display this striking monochrome model.

• Build and display this collectible LEGO® set or recreate your favorite scenes from the classic Disney Mickey Mouse cartoon, ‘Steamboat Willie’.
  • This unique toy building set includes 2 new-for-April-2019 minifigures: Mickey Mouse and Minnie Mouse, each with silver-colored decoration, plus Mickey Mouse’s parrot figure.
  • The iconic Steamboat Willie boat features a black-and-white color scheme, hidden wheels, moving steam pipes, rotating paddle wheels, adjustable crane and assorted elements including the ‘S.S. Willie’ boat name sign, ‘1928’ year sign and a ‘potato bin’.
  • The boat’s bridge has space for a minifigure, a brick-built bell and assorted elements including the ship’s wheel and life buoy.
  • The 2 steam pipes move up and down and the 2 paddle wheels rotate when the boat is pushed along.
  • Accessory elements include Minnie Mouse’s guitar and music sheet.
  • This LEGO® Ideas creative toy building set comes with a booklet with building instructions, fun facts about the historic 1928 animated Disney short film ‘Steamboat Willie’, and information about this awesome retro set’s fan creator and LEGO designers.
  • Steamboat Willie toy boat measures over 5” (15cm) high, 10” (26cm) long and 5” (14cm) wide.

Price is going to be €89,99 (Germany, Netherlands, Ireland, Spain...)

Edited by HandyHand
  • Like 6

On 3/20/2019 at 9:28 AM, MusiKyle said:

Mickey's hat appears different.  

image.thumb.png.f322e86fa8da22554876dfbd2ae0e24c.png

On 3/20/2019 at 9:47 AM, Clintonjoseph said:

i thought one of the rules for ideas sets is no new pieces can be made. having the hat in this series makes it so it is an already existing element.

I think this really sums up the why it(minifigs) was done.  If in fact can have no new pieces in ideas sets then had to put them somewhere else. This set IS one of the most talked about since its release.   Should do fine.  Maybe a few buyers( meaning us sellers) are out but that will only help the rest.

Edited by Belac

OK, yes, from an investment standpoint, the value of the set is lessened somewhat by similar CMFs being released (they aren't the same - there are differences). But saying VPs will be fired, sales will plummet, and it will be "a disaster" is a bit of hyperbole. I wonder what people would have said if the CMFs had been revealed first, then the set, with these exclusive versions of the minifigures. I doubt there would have been as much complaining.

Yes. It is hyperbole. Thus the opening line “April fools joke” and closing “something shiny”. It was meant to be funny. I laughed.

Collectors will buy the set regardless. Eventually...
But a large portion of these sets, in particular Ideas sets, are not bought by collectors.

Investors will wait for lower buy-ins on this because the potential roi has declined with the mass release and easy access to the once perceived exclusive minifigs. Thus, lego will lose some income. It is the retailers who will lose the most money as they will not be able to move the set at RRP.

Your Rex analogy could work... if tlm2 sets had high investment potential. But ... yeah...who knows.

But if you want another example.
Look at Dengar from Eclipse fighter 75145. There was a time when he alone was worth $9 on BrickLink. But then the same minifig became available in the bounty hunter bp 75167. And now you can buy him for less than $2.

75145 is doing alright, but it’d be doing better if they didn’t make a massive amount of one of the unique minifigs.

6 hours ago, donbee said:

Yes. It is hyperbole. Thus the opening line “April fools joke” and closing “something shiny”. It was meant to be funny. I laughed.

Collectors will buy the set regardless. Eventually...
But a large portion of these sets, in particular Ideas sets, are not bought by collectors.

Investors will wait for lower buy-ins on this because the potential roi has declined with the mass release and easy access to the once perceived exclusive minifigs. Thus, lego will lose some income. It is the retailers who will lose the most money as they will not be able to move the set at RRP.

Your Rex analogy could work... if tlm2 sets had high investment potential. But ... yeah...who knows.

But if you want another example.
Look at Dengar from Eclipse fighter 75145. There was a time when he alone was worth $9 on BrickLink. But then the same minifig became available in the bounty hunter bp 75167. And now you can buy him for less than $2.

75145 is doing alright, but it’d be doing better if they didn’t make a massive amount of one of the unique minifigs.

I have a gut feeling that if you wait around on this set for a lower buy in, you will be sorry.  LEGO seems to be mixing it up and dabbling more and more into exclusive sets since TRU went bye bye.  They are also imitating Funko in ways.  This is the perfect set to tease people with and mess with their heads.  Just sayin' .  As for the Mickey minifigure, it's different than the CMF.  That's enough for most and the slight difference has worked for Funko for years.  

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Ed Mack said:

I have a gut feeling that if you wait around on this set for a lower buy in, you will be sorry.  LEGO seems to be mixing it up and dabbling more and more into exclusive sets since TRU went bye bye.  They are also imitating Funko in ways.  This is the perfect set to tease people with and mess with their heads.  Just sayin' .  As for the Mickey minifigure, it's different than the CMF.  That's enough for most and the slight difference has worked for Funko for years.  

"gut feeling" or "cryptic hints 2.0"?

• Thanks 1

20 hours ago, Ed Mack said:

That might be true from a collectors Standpoint, but at that RRP I would be unwise to stock up in the hope of a short Run, there are far better oppurtunities out there.

• Like 2

Guest TabbyBoy

If a high RRP puts off most buyers, discounts won't be far off. I'm in at <£50 for "n" amount or will buy only one closer to EOL with promo. It happened with Delorean and WALL•E.

On 3/23/2019 at 5:08 AM, Ed Mack said:

yeah, maybe the BHz mice and recent exclusives are Lego's way of testing waters on managing collectible-themed sets supply/demand.

• Like 1

Mickey & Minnie sigs...based on how many adult japanese tourist push kids aside to get autographs...it's a thing
Not just adult Japanese tourists. Spending spring break in Disneyland and my wife is going crazy trying to get sigs. She thinks she'll need to get a second autograph book and we're only on day one...

Sent from my SM-G960U using Brickpicker Forum mobile app

On 3/24/2019 at 4:44 AM, Frank Brickowski said:

"gut feeling" or "cryptic hints 2.0"?

Just a gut feeling...But also based on recent activity by The LEGO Group.  I have felt this way about other sets in the past and it worked out.  LEGO likes to play mind games with its fans and especially resellers.  They mix it up  and surprise us time to time with remakes and quick retirements.  What I can tell you is that they are quite aware of this community and we know what they read.  

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, $20 on joe vs dan said:

Mickey & Minnie sigs...based on how many adult japanese tourist push kids aside to get autographs...it's a thing

Day 3: I've been waiting in line for nearly 36 hours now. I can still see my entry point mere feet behind me. Mickey and Minnie have come and gone now 16 times, children are passed out on the ground, apparently suffering from heat stroke. My mind and thoughts begin to wander...am I plastic? Is it really this hot? Is my sharpie capable of working? Do sausages have feelings? I reach for my 3 Lego boxes as I inch closer to my goal.

My hands damp, moisture high, the box creases, and I die a bit inside. Worth it? Yes. People have sold their unborn children for a chance to score the coveted autograph of the pair.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

7 minutes ago, Ed Mack said:

Just a gut feeling...But also based on recent activity by The LEGO Group.  I have felt this way about other sets in the past and it worked out.  LEGO likes to play mind games with its fans and especially resellers.  They mix it up  and surprise us time to time with remakes and quick retirements.  What I can tell you is that they are quite aware of this community and we know what they read.  

They did a good job shorting Bhz Mickey & Minnie.  I am not even going to speculate on Steamboat set

6 minutes ago, CosmicSpeed said:

Day 3: I've been waiting in line for nearly 36 hours now. I can still see my entry point mere feet behind me. Mickey and Minnie have come and gone now 16 times, children are passed out on the ground, apparently suffering from heat stroke. My mind and thoughts begin to wander...am I plastic? Is it really this hot? Is my sharpie capable of working? Do sausages have feelings? I reach for my 3 Lego boxes as I inch closer to my goal.

My hands damp, moisture high, the box creases, and I die a bit inside. Worth it? Yes. People have sold their unborn children for a chance to score the coveted autograph of the pair.

Not sure how they do things in Disneyland, but at Disney World Mickey's room is air conditioned :P  :P  :P :P 

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Darth_Raichu said:

They did a good job shorting Bhz Mickey & Minnie.  I am not even going to speculate on Steamboat set

Not sure how they do things in Disneyland, but at Disney World Mickey's room is air conditioned :P  :P  :P :P 

definitely worth a fastpass to get the autographs..."catching" the characters outside and lining up is a newb move...also the character breakfasts/lunch, albeit pricey and needs 3 months reservation time...kills a few of the birds w/ one stone 

1 hour ago, keith1833 said:

Not just adult Japanese tourists. Spending spring break in Disneyland and my wife is going crazy trying to get sigs. She thinks she'll need to get a second autograph book and we're only on day one...

Sent from my SM-G960U using Brickpicker Forum mobile app

I don't get this...what's the play?

these are regular people dressed up as characters imitating a signature they had to study to immitate??? 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, $20 on joe vs dan said:

definitely worth a fastpass to get the autographs..."catching" the characters outside and lining up is a newb move...also the character breakfasts/lunch, albeit pricey and needs 3 months reservation time...kills a few of the birds w/ one stone 

Fastpass are for the plebs.  I heard if you pay for the VIP tour you get personal 1on1 time with Mickey :D

20 minutes ago, Darth_Raichu said:

Fastpass are for the plebs.  I heard if you pay for the VIP tour you get personal 1on1 time with Mickey :D

reminds me...last trip to Orlando we lined up to meet Buzz and Woody...anyway my boy walked right past Woody and went to shake Buzzes hand...and Woody did a great job of animating the snubbed 3rd wheel...hilarious...these characters are well trained...must be a big deal to move up the character food chain and actually be a Mickey Mouse

• Haha 2

7 minutes ago, ravenb99 said:

surprising no chatter on this thread last night or this morning.  LEGO cooling off??

I might not be on as much as I'm sure this means imminent riches leading to retirement...

IMG_8102.JPG

It's a nice set and the misprint #24 will add some $ prob.  the Hoard is surely and wisely waiting on discounts.