10188 or 10225

Guest idunno101

Guest idunno101

I am very torn here as I am going to New York next week for cheaper lego prices and im not sure what to buy. I have my mind set on two sets that I really want which is the Death Star 10188 and the new R2-D2 10225. If i do decide to go with the R2-D2 I'll buy the Sopwith Camel with it but if I buy the Death Star that will probably be it. So I'm asking for your guys opinions which would be the better buy the Death Star or R2-D2 with the Sopwith Camel. By the way I'm not going on which costs less.

From a personal standpoint, I favor the R2-D2 and Sopwith Camel. I think they are awesome display sets, which I am a big fan of. The Death Star is a fantastic set, but it is kinda of kiddish to me. Great for minifigures and playabilty though. You can't go wrong with either choice.

Get the Death Star while you can. This set could be discontinued any time now. Sure, there might be a small window after it is gone to still grab it, by why chance it? R2 and the Sopwith will be around for quite some time since one just came out and the other isn't even available in stores until Friday. Pick these two up later.

Get the Death Star while you can. This set could be discontinued any time now. Sure, there might be a small window after it is gone to still grab it, by why chance it? R2 and the Sopwith will be around for quite some time since one just came out and the other isn't even available in stores until Friday. Pick these two up later.

Excellent point. The Death Star might be discontinued soon...maybe( ;-) ). Why take a chance?

I purchased the death star last year just to get my hands on it. It still sits in the box in my closet waiting for the day to be built. I picked up the R2-D2 on May 4th and built it the day I received it. It's an AWESOME display piece! It was definitely a fun build and would recommend for anyone. I agree with the statements above in that it would probably be best to pickup the death star since the other two models just came out. Part of me wants to build the death star but then I think where would I put it LOL

Hard to argue with the potential EOL for the Death Star...but I have R2D2 and it is a fantastic display piece--every one who sees it is impressed. I will be picking up the Sopwith Camel this weekend and plan to display that one too. You can't go wrong with either choice. Good luck!

I actually see the popularity of 10188 working to its advantage after it goes EOL. The fact that it has lasted this long indicates that the desire for it will continue long after it is not widely available. This is one of those big sets that crosses all degrees of LEGO interest. Yes collectors like it, AFOL's like it, but this is one of those sets where many non LEGO fans, who may not even have a single set, would seek it out as a one-off purchase, especially if children are involved.

Guest idunno101

Good point there. So yeah I'm going to get the Death Star. Thanks for everyone's input here to help me make the decision. Like most people here said I'll just get the other two sometime later in the year. So thanks again to everyone here at Brickpicker.

Guest idunno101

I purchased the death star last year just to get my hands on it. It still sits in the box in my closet waiting for the day to be built. I picked up the R2-D2 on May 4th and built it the day I received it. It's an AWESOME display piece! It was definitely a fun build and would recommend for anyone. I agree with the statements above in that it would probably be best to pickup the death star since the other two models just came out. Part of me wants to build the death star but then I think where would I put it LOL

Yeah R2 does look pretty nice and the Death Star is huge but I'll probably find some palce to put that thing.