under the radar sets

I think there are some under the radar sets like the Dino HQ and Forest Police Station that are unique enough to do well and there is no direct replacement as of yet. Both of these sets have great playability, but, I don't expect them to be huge money makers as a doubling in value might be the limit. My TRU still has some Dino HQ in stock but they are asking $129 for it, which is what it is going for on ebay now. Maybe also the Sith Interceptor which looks better in real life than it does on the box and my boys love playing with it. This might be a sleeper where it becomes much more popular after EOL. The 40 reviews on Amazon are much better than the reviews of most recent Lego Star Wars sets with 33 of 40 giving it 5 stars!

a couple of recent examples in my mind are the museum break in and the helicopter arrest from the city theme that were just released. they both have never been done before (at least to my knowledge), and are quite unique. every city police force needs a few bad guys to keep them busy. the museum is a tad pricey, but if you can get it at a discount it is worth it. both seem to be performing quite well thus far, and the helicopter arrest is only available from the lego store or lego.com. when i was at the MOA lego store last week they were sold out of helicopter arrests, so they orderd some for me and gave me free shipping.

I was just looking the the museum break in yesterday and noticed it had a light up brick for the spotlight on the police chopper.........kinda cool. Needs batteries though. This might add to the investment potential!

exactly! i have five of each and plan on getting a few more. my museums i was able to obtain at $55 each due to some gift cards i had laying around, but the helicopter arrest i paid retail ($50), which i feel comfortable with since it is a hard to find set. i think both of these have very good potential.

The Zombies(9465), from the Monster Fighters theme. Nobody paid attention to this set. It went EOL and doubled in value in months.

Heck, that set was valuable the second it came out! That went like a brand new console!

Well if we're gonna do that logic, then I have one word: NINJAGO

Specifically every set from 2011 (1st series).

Lol.....I meant that the zombies set want even on the radar when it was available.

That's true man, you rarely ever see Lego do that with sets........it was literally 3-4 months and gone. Makes me wonder if they will do a re-release of it for the Halloween season (follow the same trend that the winter village sets do for the holidays).

The Zombies(9465), from the Monster Fighters theme. Nobody paid attention to this set. It went EOL and doubled in value in months.

I paid attention to it because it was so hard to find I purchased nine when Lego had their 10% off sale. Of course, if I had known it would soon be EOL I would have purchased more! lol

While The Zombies might be a good example of a set where supply and demand were totally out of whack I think it is more interesting/difficult to come up with a current retail set that is 'under the radar'. In addition to the three I already mentioned I think the Lego Super Heroes Superman vs Power Armor Lex (6862) is also a great 'under the radar' set. With Lex Luthor in a mech, Superman and Wonder Woman how can this not do well!?!

Maybe we need a contest, like a stock picking contest with a time limit for the highest CAGR (6 months, a year?). If a set gets too many votes/picks would it no longer be 'under the radar'?

Doesn't apply to places outside the US where this set WASN'T an exclusive.

In countries like Singapore and Australia, you can find these sets on 'clearance'. Mind you, I say clearance but with the high RRP mark ups here compared to the US, the Zombie set is about US$45.

Doesn't apply to places outside the US where this set WASN'T an exclusive.

In countries like Singapore and Australia, you can find these sets on 'clearance'. Mind you, I say clearance but with the high RRP mark ups here compared to the US, the Zombie set is about US$45.

Exactly. I can still get them retail, but not as widely as a month ago. Still see them on sale now and then. Got 6 myself at 25% off or better and that still works out to $55 US each!