Jump to content

Hi, I'm Your Target Audience (Consumer)


Recommended Posts

Just joined a few weeks back after a friend sent me a link

I am a gainfully employed father of a 7 yr old boy who loves Legos (both me and my son)...and I recently got into my childhood toy about 3 months ago and have probably spent over $3K on Legos since between Amazon, Ebay, Walmart, and Target...and Lego Shop at home.

The spark that got me into it was Voltron..that was too much nostalgia plus Lego, plus coolness to resist.

Its been an education to say the least.

The Site is great...love the Lego news and deals sections...the acronyms are annoying and moving about the site is also clunky.

Since this site often focuses on re-sale...I posted the header because I am willing to provide some insights (perceived bargains, rip-offs, learning moments, and other recent experiences as I got "Into it") on a demographic (like me) and answer some questions...

 

Anyway...Howdy!

 

Edited by $20 on joe vs dan
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

So Voltron was the trigger set that got you going? And you've spent over $3K since that release? You most definitely were bitten by the bug! Welcome to the site!

I have a couple of questions for you. What themes is your 7yo son most interested in? And what size sets does he like (avg piece count)? 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I have been absolutely floored by what Lego has become...

my mind was blown when I saw the inner working of the Porches G3...I have a Suby (same brotherhood of boxer engines) and it's just nuts that the gearing and drivetrain actually works like the real thing ...the working paddle shifters...Man I can't even work the ones on my car.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, oneknightr said:

So Voltron was the trigger set that got you going? And you've spent over $3K since that release? You most definitely were bitten by the bug! Welcome to the site!

I have a couple of questions for you. What themes is your 7yo son most interested in? And what size sets does he like (avg piece count)? 

Stars Wars by a large margin...kinda got into both at the same time...two of my best Dad things to do with him is to watch the movies together and do a family build (wife, and 77 yr old grandpa...3 generations built the Saturn V...literally...figuratively...and probably also literally for teh real thing).

most of my purchases were approx 700-1000 piece counts (original retails of $80-130 ish)...but the boy loves everything...he can typically do a microbuild himself and needs help on anything larger.

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, oneknightr said:

So Voltron was the trigger set that got you going? And you've spent over $3K since that release? You most definitely were bitten by the bug! Welcome to the site!

I have a couple of questions for you. What themes is your 7yo son most interested in? And what size sets does he like (avg piece count)? 

My 7 year old wants Nexo-Knights. He loves that theme with the fortresses and even plays the online portion of the game from time to time.    

I had him go through the most recent Lego catalog and write down all the set numbers he likes.  He filled a whole page that ranges from pretty much every theme except the Friends/Elves stuff.  Anything Large usually does the trick though (over 1,000 pieces)

EDIT: Also have a 4 yr girl whom wants the Frozen Castles or other Disney castles.

Both love Star Wars too (Episode 4/5/6 sets more than the recent stuff) but we already have most of them in the house because of me. I have a Lego Problem.  Sorry though, I'll let $20 Joe take it from here, it is his thread.

Edited by LegoMan1212
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 hours ago, LegoMan1212 said:

Both love Star Wars too (Episode 4/5/6 sets more than the recent stuff) but we already have most of them in the house because of me. I have a Lego Problem.  Sorry though, I'll let $20 Joe take it from here, it is his thread.

Hey Thanks for sharing.  Nice to know that there are some families here as well...and not just pure resellers.

Is it just me or is there a "new normal"...everything I read implies that the "Golden Days" of resell are over.  The lesson I continue to learn is that it's never as rare as I think and pretty much every recent/current set is likely over-produced...and pretty much everything recent will hit 20% off...and probably 30-40% off at some point. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, $20 on joe vs dan said:

Hey Thanks for sharing.  Nice to know that there are some families here as well...and not just pure resellers.

Is it just me or is there a "new normal"...everything I read implies that the "Golden Days" of resell are over.  The lesson I continue to learn is that it's never as rare as I think and pretty much every recent/current set is likely over-produced...and pretty much everything recent will hit 20% off...and probably 30-40% off at some point. 

you are quick to learn, typically Walmart or Amazon will put a set down to 20% fairly quickly.  When I am looking to buy for my kids for Christmas and stuff, I never buy it unless its at least at that number.  I'm currently waiting on a few of the HP sets to hit there. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Oh yeah...I tend to be obsessive so I think I went through the whole gambit of milestones for the "typical Lego enthusiast" within a couple of months..already went thru the "Lamenting EBay Phase",  "hide from Wife problem",  "Storage of Lego boxes problem"..."realization that I have backlog of sets (for the Boy to build) for the next 3 years"...not even touching on the economics of Legos which is a lesson I  continue to learn 

  

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.


×
×
  • Create New...