New Investment, a question

dainbramage

Question

Hello,

i'm figuring out about investing in Brickheadz.

I can't figure out if some of the value i see is real, like for the set 41491, i mean is possible that in 1 year is x10, and if it is, how can i know if there is people buying it at that price and where?

thanks for your help, that one just an example, but i want to have some instrument to quantify investemnet and target.

16 minutes ago, LegoMan1212 said:

Your question is about as basic as it comes.  I understand that you are on day 1 of looking into Lego investing, but do yourself a favor and do some research and learn how bricklink, Ebay,  google, etc... work and how their platforms can help answers questions like this. 

Hei man, thanks for the reply, i certanly will look to faq and the sites i knew.

If i write here is just to have more information in less time (cause atm i really don't have the time to look deep into). So if you can answer and help it would be much appreciate.

I understand for such an expert as you it can be annoying, if is just move on, please.

Hello and welcome. Brickheadz are strange. Some, like myself, really like them. Others hate them, deeply, and with MUCH passion.

Investment wise, I think Lego overestimated the first few runs with over production leaving many of the series 1 on shelves at deep discounts. With some of the retailer exclusives, the ROI has been a little better, but you can still find Wu on shop.lego along with some others. The next few seem to have been better, but places like Target keep the BH at retail for much too long with only a few sales (Currently $12 for the HP/Hedwig set for a limited time). Walmart might not even be investing them on their retail shelves, I haven't seen any of them on shelves there since the JW dual pack.

Buy in at RRP is $10, $15 or $20 USD typically, which means you will need to find them at deep discount and hope for a larger return. You would need to sit on these for a long while, but the space needed for the set is minimal and you could store them easily.

Again, this is coming from a fan of the theme and not investment in them. However, I have lurked here to learn a fair amount but I am not a reseller, just someone looking for good deals when they become available.

Stick around and read the threads in the forum. There is a lot of good information but you need to pick and choose who you listen to because every market is different.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, CosmicSpeed said:

cut

many thanks for your answer.

my question was specific on BH because i want to estimate if it can be a good investment to buy them on lego store price and store it for some years, but cause the market is new, and i'm new on this places i can't figure out if there is "movement" arount them. I made some researches on ebay (purchased items, etc) and it seems that some set after just 1year has been sold 10x, so i'm very excited to know it better.

thanks for sharing ideas

4 minutes ago, dainbramage said:

my question was specific on BH because i want to estimate if it can be a good investment to buy them on lego store price and store it for some years, but cause the market is new, and i'm new on this places i can't figure out if there is "movement" arount them. I made some researches on ebay (purchased items, etc) and it seems that some set after just 1year has been sold 10x, so i'm very excited to know it better.

thanks for sharing ideas

well, you are researching the wrong BH on ebay to be honest. the 10x return was only limited to some of the SDCC BH which you won't be able to buy from sah anyway. that's why I was asking where do you live in the first place. If you are not living close to SD, you have to factor in your flight ticket, accommodation etc and they will all eat up your profit.

as for the regular BH, @CosmicSpeedhas said enough. just remember, for whatever theme you are going to invest, all it matters is your buy-in, that's it.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, dainbramage said:

Hello,

i'm figuring out about investing in Brickheadz.

I can't figure out if some of the value i see is real, like for the set 41491, i mean is possible that in 1 year is x10, and if it is, how can i know if there is people buying it at that price and where?

thanks for your help, that one just an example, but i want to have some instrument to quantify investemnet and target.

/S

I purchased the 2016 Comic Con exclusive 41491-1: Batman & The Joker when they were clearanced at Wal-Mart for $3 a piece. I purchased over 500 of them. I'm currently selling them for $300 a piece. My profits from this set alone exceed $100,000 from all the Wal-Mart's that clearanced this comic con exclusive set. Many others here missed out.

Brickheadz are an excellent purchase even at RRP and should be invested in heavily   /S

..... now back to reality

10 minutes ago, superlegolover said:

well, you are researching the wrong BH on ebay to be honest. the 10x return was only limited to some of the SDCC BH which you won't be able to buy from sah anyway. that's why I was asking where do you live in the first place. If you are not living close to SD, you have to factor in your flight ticket, accommodation etc and they will all eat up your profit.

as for the regular BH, @CosmicSpeedhas said enough. just remember, for whatever theme you are going to invest, all it matters is your buy-in, that's it.

That's an answer i wanted to hear.

I mean this specific set of LEGO is different from the most of the "classic" set that missed CC influence or so.

I have to study this part too, thanks

9 minutes ago, dainbramage said:

thanks for sharing ideas

10x's anything in this business is a rarity and should not be used as a template for other sets in a theme.  Many times, those who invested early in a new theme will benefit, but there are also situations where a theme was a poor investment...early...late...all the time.

• Like 2

Repeating what others have said, any Brickheadz worth anything remotely close to 10x were Comic Con exclusives. I haven't been paying close attention, but the best I've seen for any retail-available BHz are 2x (~$20) so far. We've seen them on clearance in waves from $7 down to maybe even $1-2 for the lucky few. So, it's pretty hard to bite the bullet on sets at retail price unless you want one for yourself (or there's a promo like gift or 2x VIP points).

In my opinion, this theme is still too new to have much data or history in sales and value. However, it sounds from rumors it may not last long anyway. I lean on the more pessimistic side, so I'm not having high expectations. You won't lose money, but you may not make enough to be worthwhile. I'd be happy buying at $5-7 and selling for $20-30. Others aim higher.

*Edit: Ha, sorry, more repetition from multiple response at the same time.*

Edited by lodibricks
  • Like 1

ye brickheadz is more like buying between 5-7 and selling 2 years later for 25-30. I only buy them when they are delivered in bigger quantities, I dont go hunting in store because than brickheadz are not worth the time imho.

For you: research the market and be patient, which I guess you are not. and your research just isnt good.

Sorry to all of you,

I needed to write a prequel..

Anyway i know this is a new market not easy to read, but im a gambler, i just needed some more info that i didnt research or if i not so well. I wrote here just for that, and it was helpful.

Edited by dainbramage

Guest TabbyBoy

Welcome aboard! It's not as easy these days to invest in LEGO as it once was. In the UK at least... very few sets are truly exclusive to LEGO only and there are many times more people involved in reselling than before, most of which are happy with a small profit (I'm not!). Just do your research first and check sold (not selling) prices and you'll have an idea of what your buy-in price should be. I've learned over the years that a really exclusive set which is often out-of-stock could be worth a punt with say, a 25% discount. Anything run--of-the-mill and available in quantity everywhere needs a >60% discount. Remember, if you can buy a set on public sale dirt cheap, then so can your competitors.

I'm one of the many that really HATE the Brickheadz theme, but I still took a punt and bought all 12 of the first wave at a 50% discount. A shrewd move at the time, but the theme could've really bombed for all I knew at the time and I'd have been stuck with sets I hated. Like all themes, it's a risk and none of us have a crystal ball to predict popularity, production figures and retirement dates.

To be taken with a pinch of salt.... Would I get into LEGO investing knowing what I know now? Hell, no!

Anyway, I wish you luck ?

Many thanks,

I m not new in LEGO investment but i never followed the trends.

My story began for a lucky case, then i bought some sets that i holding from 6/7/10 years. I know the value is bigger now. For some sets 200% for others just the 20%.

Now i just wanted to bet on some set and BH smell like a nice one to hold for others 10 years, i just needed some feeling from you

Other sets you would advise to look closely?

Many thanks,
My story began for a lucky case, then i bought some sets that i holding from 6/7/10 years. I know the value is bigger now. For some sets 200% for others just the 20%.
Now i just wanted to bet on some set and BH smell like a nice one to hold for others 10 years, i just needed some feeling from you
Looks like The Builder has opened a second BP account....
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Phil B said:
55 minutes ago, dainbramage said:
Many thanks,

Looks like The Builder has opened a second BP account....

Dunno who The Builder is but i got it was a not good figure on the forum. I dont want to be the same as my nick is so much better.

Lol

• Like 1

5 hours ago, lodibricks said:

Repeating what others have said, any Brickheadz worth anything remotely close to 10x were Comic Con exclusives. I haven't been paying close attention, but the best I've seen for any retail-available BHz are 2x (~$20) so far. We've seen them on clearance in waves from $7 down to maybe even $1-2 for the lucky few. So, it's pretty hard to bite the bullet on sets at retail price unless you want one for yourself (or there's a promo like gift or 2x VIP points).

In my opinion, this theme is still too new to have much data or history in sales and value. However, it sounds from rumors it may not last long anyway. I lean on the more pessimistic side, so I'm not having high expectations. You won't lose money, but you may not make enough to be worthwhile. I'd be happy buying at $5-7 and selling for $20-30. Others aim higher.

*Edit: Ha, sorry, more repetition from multiple response at the same time.*

I respectfully disagree.. Ninjago movie BHs Lloyd and Master Wu are selling on ebay for at least 3x RRP.. and since nobody knows what the sellers got them for, they could easily make 5x profit on them compared to buy-in.

Edited by crayxlp

12 minutes ago, crayxlp said:

I respectfully disagree.. Ninjago movie BHs Lloyd and Master Wu are selling on ebay for at least 3x RRP.. and since nobody knows what the sellers got them for, they could easily make 5x profit on them compared to buy-in.

Sorry, I should've clarified I was only looking at Amazon, but I usually expect people to pay less on eBay (the smart ones anyway):

image.png.68ccdd94d0498079544c4bafa0dcfaee.png
Definitely agree the buy-in makes all the difference.

• Like 1