It's very quiet in 2018 north of the 49th parallel...

Stragus

I have bought a lot less in 2018 as well. Mainly due to lack of substantial sales and interesting sets. As well as the current reselling environment forced me to be more prudent on what to buy. My current goal is to offload as much inventory as possible and wait for the right time, right place to re-invest the cash (not necessarily back into LEGO). 

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, flord said:

What are Amazon fees like? What percentage? After my last invoice from Ebay, I am reconsidering how much I am going to use it. I am sick of being gouged.

Fees are higher than ebay I believe but I migrated from ebay 3 years ago because buyers are willing to pay a premium to buy from Amazon and that has worked out for me. As an example, I have an item listed for $100. Amazon will take $18 of that in fees, and credit me $7 for handling shipping. So I keep $89, but still have to cover the shipping cost which will likely be between $20-$25. So I price accordingly.

The key issue here though is that Amazon gated toys the other year for US sellers so that you can only sell if you were already selling them or meet their strict and expensive criteria if you were not already selling them. I'm not sure if they did that for Canadian ones too but I was already doing it. Limiting the amount of sellers is obviously a huge plus for those allowed to sell.

On 9/14/2018 at 11:20 AM, jeff_14 said:

Just crossed my Amazon threshold for holiday selling. Had 3 sales in the past 2 hours alone, 2 of them for SW advent calendars appropriately enough. Ho, ho.....I mean yub yub

Advent calender's?? any $$ in those this year? I probably wont get into them unless i get them 40-50% off which wont happen till after christmas

10 minutes ago, Substored said:

Advent calender's?? any $$ in those this year? I probably wont get into them unless i get them 40-50% off which wont happen till after christmas

No $ in them. I found them on "clearance" at WM last year before xmas. And that was a Star Wars one too! It was no where near 40-50% off though.

Edited by tacsniper

7 hours ago, Substored said:

There’s always money in these it seems. I sold each of the last 2 years’ advents (which were the worst 2 ever based on the figures) for a 50% profit after buying them on clearance. Not bad for 2 craptacular sets

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...

How are things out there? The one year mark of COVID selling has been fairly good for me... in the beginning. Not many sales since the fall with barely an X-mas bump to be had. My buying has been very flat for the last 2 years until the last few months because I have been able to do a lot promo stacking with purchases.

2 minutes ago, lobo1969 said:

How are things out there? The one year mark of COVID selling has been fairly good for me... in the beginning. Not many sales since the fall with barely an X-mas bump to be had. My buying has been very flat for the last 2 years until the last few months because I have been able to do a lot promo stacking with purchases.

I had a bumper sales year right up until last month and it’s been quiet since. Buying the same as usual 

6 hours ago, lobo1969 said:

Had good local sales up until about June, then just dropped off.   Not really much activity since then unfortunately.  Not many purchases as not a whole lot of decent sales.  I did cave and buy 75192 at Costco with the free passenger train.

My sales are up over 200% over most platforms. eBay has slowed down significantly. Bricklink is still going strong. I mostly sell parts and figs instead of sets though. 

Walmart instore clearance is the only significant spending I’ve done this year.

• Like 1

Anyone here in Canada tried ordering from Zavvi?   Just curious how it worked with import taxes and what condition your set(s) showed up in?  Thanks!

Bump.
I read on the Canadian Custom page it’s GST and HST. I wonder how much it cost for handling charges by B the courier. Recently bought some stuff, not Lego, from US, and got slapped with brokerage charges by UPS which is 3x more than import tax.

1 hour ago, Ogelwoc said:

Bump.
I read on the Canadian Custom page it’s GST and HST. I wonder how much it cost for handling charges by B the courier. Recently bought some stuff, not Lego, from US, and got slapped with brokerage charges by UPS which is 3x more than import tax.

Thanks for the info. That brokerage part is not clear on what you might get dinged on.

I decided not to order anything from Zavvi, just too many bad reviews and not getting items.

On 3/30/2021 at 9:44 AM, Ogelwoc said:

Bump.

Never use UPS to import items into Canada. Their brokerage fess have been horrendous for many years. I just prefer to use Canada post/USPS and take my chances with Canada Customs the old fashion way.

• Like 1

Never use UPS to import items into Canada. Their brokerage fess have been horrendous for many years. I just prefer to use Canada post/USPS and take my chances with Canada Customs the old fashion way.

We will subject to whoever the retailer choose to ship. I was buying from a online retailer. Ended up paying CAD100 for a CAD400 purchase.

Another instance bought from the UK, CAD400. Canada Post was doing the shipping. Was dinged close to CAD80.

Indeed as you mentioned take the chance and see where the coin lands.

For Zavvi, unless it’s 40% and above all and for high priced item, my conclusion is just not worth it. May end up paying close to RRP or 20% off if buy locally.