60198 - Freight Train

exciter1

Yes, I just searched that, the provided transmitters and receivers are powered by Bluetooth and there are plans for the system to be app-enabled so you don't have to be line-of-sight like IR to make the system work.  There were also comments about backwards-compatibility with the old systems and that they are NOT backwards compatible.  However, the article did suggest there were plans to release an adapter/conversion kit.  I see the opportunity for more advanced train setups to have Bluetooth capabilities and maybe even Boost integration (set timing and automation of several different trains/functions).  I won't make use of those features so for me I'm not willing to pay the extra cost, but I think it's a smart long-term move for Lego.

I love the playability of the Freight Trains over the passenger trains. There's so much for little minds to do with sets like these. I can listen to my son play for HOURS with stuff like this. Very happy I managed to get the Blue Freight Train before it disappeared. (just finally got it in April).

Also, will Lego not have the extra 3rd train that TRU usually gets as an exclusive this time around considering them being bankrupt?

Or do we already know that a 3rd one is coming?

44 minutes ago, mudcatsfan said:

I love the playability of the Freight Trains over the passenger trains. There's so much for little minds to do with sets like these. I can listen to my son play for HOURS with stuff like this. Very happy I managed to get the Blue Freight Train before it disappeared. (just finally got it in April).

Also, will Lego not have the extra 3rd train that TRU usually gets as an exclusive this time around considering them being bankrupt?

Or do we already know that a 3rd one is coming?

Well... there's the Harry Potter train coming out, if that counts?