60197 - Passenger Train

exciter1

31 minutes ago, Val-E said:

After watching these reviews, I am seriously considering stocking up on old PF as people will prefer them for less batteries, more power and the polarity switch. Plus you can connect more than 2 devices.

Did this last night at midnight with book promotion going live... mainly for personal use but might make another haul for investment purposes... new system seems like a step backwards...

• 9 months later...

Hi guys,

This set usually runs for 199.99 CAD at lego .. managed to pick one up on Amazon 154.99 CAD. Good deal?

How is this set overall? It caught my attention because it carries the new Bluetooth power function.

Let me know if it was worth my money, appreciate the feedback.

I got one in the UK for £60 which worked out at 50% off, I wanted the power functions for the Winter train. I sold the rest of the train (without the PF) and made a very small profit.

The train will be around forever and it's not the best looking train either so might take a while for you to get your money back.

• Thanks 1

Guest TabbyBoy

It needs to be discounted a lot more as it's only half a train with no arse end - LOL.

These are a good buy at 50% off, but don't expect to get much more than RRP if it's a run-of-the-mill CITY train. I think the cargo trains do much better. If you can be bothered, there's more profit when parting out and, or course, no need to worry about box lickers ?

To be honest, 22.5% opp as per OP is not what I would call a discount as these often get to 50% off in some areas. I'd have waited if that was me.

2 hours ago, dimicoco said:

Hi guys,

This set usually runs for 199.99 CAD at lego .. managed to pick one up on Amazon 154.99 CAD. Good deal?

How is this set overall? It caught my attention because it carries the new Bluetooth power function.

Let me know if it was worth my money, appreciate the feedback.

if you think you did OK, then its a deal.

I haven't seen this more than 20% and that was only for about 1 day.

Edited by Goofball814

No matter how ugly the train is. Trains are always a safe bet.

If you're looking for a quick flip, nope. Not enough of a deal to offset costs.

If for personal build, go for it.

If for long term hold...debatable. There's always a better deal, especially better than this time of year.

Edited by dx0520

1 hour ago, dx0520 said:

No matter how ugly the train is. Trains are always a safe bet.

If you're looking for a quick flip, nope. Not enough of a deal to offset costs.

If for personal build, go for it.

If for long term hold...debatable. There's always a better deal, especially better than this time of year.

Thanks for the feedback .. i only care about the bluetooth power up motor to be honest .. from what i've seen, purchasing that alone is nearly the same price aprox 100$ CAD.

Another question for you .. this is a value question - i've been keeping an eye on the SATURN V .. i love the set and i think it represents great value at retail price. Found it on sale for 31% off. This looks like a no brainer for me .. what do you think about this set on a long term hold .. should retire soon too.

21 minutes ago, dimicoco said:

Thanks for the feedback .. i only care about the bluetooth power up motor to be honest .. from what i've seen, purchasing that alone is nearly the same price aprox 100$ CAD.

Another question for you .. this is a value question - i've been keeping an eye on the SATURN V .. i love the set and i think it represents great value at retail price. Found it on sale for 31% off. This looks like a no brainer for me .. what do you think about this set on a long term hold .. should retire soon too.

I've seen the Saturn V discounted 30% and more offerred widely (I think I saw $89 on Amazon).

I didn't experience it, but there may have been an initial shortage shortly after its release (so got on everyone's radar real quick), so when it was re-stocked the hoard did their thing and then many probably double-downed on their position during the holiday sales .

there's a lot of Afol appeal for this set so I think it will stay popular, but there are a lot of folks hoarding these...and the box is big and heavy which makes shipping down the road a hassle. I could see these jump a bit post retirement, but then Amazon sellers may unload a few pallets at RRP keeping prices down for awhile. 

but for personal build...it's possibly a top 10 set worth building...I used the familybuild day to teach my son about real space travel...and he'll never forget the year 1969

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, $20 on joe vs dan said:

I've seen the Saturn V discounted 30% and more offerred widely (I think I saw $89 on Amazon).

I didn't experience it, but there may have been an initial shortage shortly after its release (so got on everyone's radar real quick), so when it was re-stocked the hoard did their thing and then many probably double-downed on their position during the holiday sales .

there's a lot of Afol appeal for this set so I think it will stay popular, but there are a lot of folks hoarding these...and the box is big and heavy which makes shipping down the road a hassle. I could see these jump a bit post retirement, but then Amazon sellers may unload a few pallets at RRP keeping prices down for awhile. 

but for personal build...it's possibly a top 10 set worth building...I used the familybuild day to teach my son about real space travel...and he'll never forget the year 1969

love to hear stories like that, thanks for sharing and the insight.