Lego Appraisal

Legolassy

Question

5 answers to this question

23 minutes ago, Legolassy said:

In need of a LEGO appraisal.  Military move and some boxes got trashed.  They want an appraisal for the replacement of trashed box costs.  Anyone who can do LEGO appraisal remotely?  Please?!

I do believe the set values here were just updated with the most recent eBay data .. what you'll want to do is first create a list of sets that got trashed. Now, how to evaluate the lost value is subjective but frankly, if the boxes were trashed then you now have "open box, but sealed bags" sets. For insurance purposes, I'd go one step further and consider them now used.

I'd run them through the lot calculator as NEW and then USED and subtract the difference. If they don't accept that, you'll have to search for recent sales of open box, sealed bag sales yourself and subtract the difference. But the lot calculator will be your fastest option and you can provide them the link, your details and reasoning behind the NEW to USED price difference.

https://www.brickpicker.com/bpms/lego_lot_price_calculator.cfm

• Like 1

3 hours ago, gregpj said:

I do believe the set values here were just updated with the most recent eBay data .. what you'll want to do is first create a list of sets that got trashed. Now, how to evaluate the lost value is subjective but frankly, if the boxes were trashed then you now have "open box, but sealed bags" sets. For insurance purposes, I'd go one step further and consider them now used.

I'd run them through the lot calculator as NEW and then USED and subtract the difference. If they don't accept that, you'll have to search for recent sales of open box, sealed bag sales yourself and subtract the difference. But the lot calculator will be your fastest option and you can provide them the link, your details and reasoning behind the NEW to USED price difference.

https://www.brickpicker.com/bpms/lego_lot_price_calculator.cfm

Thank you so much!  This works for the sealed ones, I have a few that were open box, but had been fully built and they taped all over them.  The boxes are useless and ripped and covered in packing tape with our move number and name on them.  How would you go about the value for those?  They specifically said I need the "damaged boxes" appraised....government logic at its finest!  Thanks again for your suggestion on the sealed sets.

10 minutes ago, Legolassy said:

Thank you so much!  This works for the sealed ones, I have a few that were open box, but had been fully built and they taped all over them.  The boxes are useless and ripped and covered in packing tape with our move number and name on them.  How would you go about the value for those?  They specifically said I need the "damaged boxes" appraised....government logic at its finest!  Thanks again for your suggestion on the sealed sets.

If you need something official or licensed, see if there's a local auction company that will appraise the sets for a fee.

If a DIY option would work, either search for box-only listings that have sold recently. Or compare the difference in price between used, complete listings that have sold without a box and used, complete listings that sold with a box. 

20 hours ago, Legolassy said:

Unfortunately, used sets rarely command a premium by including the box.... unless 1) the set is older and the box is rare or 2) it's just an awesome set and people want the box.

You can find the value of the 'just the box' for many sets on Bricklink (https://www.bricklink.com/catalogTree.asp?itemType=O). A damaged box with tape on your info on them is now worth $0 because nobody will want to pay to ship something in bad condition like that (you may not want to be giving your move # and name to other people either). So for the boxes, the value on BLis the only real resource... I wouldn't rely on eBay.

I don't know what boxes they are, but you could get lucky. Check out what these folks want for R2-D2 Boxes ... And that becomes the cost to replace yours and the value to the insurance company.

• Like 1