GAME OF THRONES CREATORS TO WRITE AND PRODUCE A NEW SERIES OF STAR WARS FILMS

KShine

http://www.starwars.com/news/game-of-thrones-creators-david-benioff-and-d-b-weiss-to-write-and-produce-a-new-series-of-star-wars-films

David Benioff and D.B. Weiss are going from Winterfell to a galaxy far, far away.

It was announced today that Benioff and Weiss, creators of the smash-hit, Emmy Award-winning television series Game of Thrones, will write and produce a new series of Star Wars films.

These new films will be separate from both the episodic Skywalker saga and the recently-announced trilogy being developed by Rian Johnson, writer-director of Star Wars: The Last Jedi.

1 minute ago, CrabslayerT said:

Kathleen Kennedys announcement that they understand complex characters and mythology might suggest that they are going pre-prequel with something about the origins of the Jedi or possible older sith lord legends??  

Lucas was successful because he tapped into universal archetypes of mythology. There are various books and short films on the topic.

http://www.starwars.com/news/mythic-discovery-within-the-inner-reaches-of-outer-space-joseph-campbell-meets-george-lucas-part-I

I'm guessing Kennedy is saying B&B have demonstrated they can do that too, not that the new films will focus on mythology in the sense of old stories from Star Wars. Just my opin.

Also, I would say that George Martin was the one who demonstrated he understands the power of Mythology, and B&B have merely shown that they can take insanely good source material and make it visually compelling.

B&B without GRRM, who knows what the results might be?

• Like 2

9 hours ago, CrabslayerT said:

Kathleen Kennedys announcement that they understand complex characters and mythology might suggest that they are going pre-prequel with something about the origins of the Jedi or possible older sith lord legends??  

If she really values someone with complete understanding of SW mythology, she should have asked Dave Filoni (co-creator of CW & Rebels) instead ;)

9 hours ago, mudcatsfan said:

I'm guessing Kennedy is saying B&B have demonstrated they can do that too, not that the new films will focus on mythology in the sense of old stories from Star Wars. Just my opin.

Also, I would say that George Martin was the one who demonstrated he understands the power of Mythology, and B&B have merely shown that they can take insanely good source material and make it visually compelling.

I can't agree with this more.  D&D are good at extracting major components of EXISTING story, reorganizing and translating them to a different medium (TV).  Once the source materials are depleted (in terms of quantity and quality, sorry GRRM), (huge) gaps appear in their final product (GoT).
Whereas someone like Filoni took elements of the original mythology (SW) and weaved those into his original ideas (Rebels).  This made the series feel and look like part of this grand universe while presenting his own fresh ideas and storylines.

• Like 4

22 hours ago, Darth_Raichu said:

If she really values someone with complete understanding of SW mythology, she should have asked Dave Filoni (co-creator of CW & Rebels) instead ;)

I can't agree with this more.  D&D are good at extracting major components of EXISTING story, reorganizing and translating them to a different medium (TV).  Once the source materials are depleted (in terms of quantity and quality, sorry GRRM), (huge) gaps appear in their final product (GoT).
Whereas someone like Filoni took elements of the original mythology (SW) and weaved those into his original ideas (Rebels).  This made the series feel and look like part of this grand universe while presenting his own fresh ideas and storylines.

Since the older stuff has remained untouched in the new canon, and there's tons of old stuff in Legends...maybe that's what they're going to do?  I think you might be on to something.  Maybe the plan is to do the really old Jedi stuff, and adapt all that to the big screen?

I do agree with you about Filoni. Guy knows his Star Wars stuff, and the guy has great storytelling skills.  It's a shame they won't trust him with more.

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, Alpinemaps said:

Since the older stuff has remained untouched in the new canon, and there's tons of old stuff in Legends...maybe that's what they're going to do?  I think you might be on to something.  Maybe the plan is to do the really old Jedi stuff, and adapt all that to the big screen?

I do agree with you about Filoni. Guy knows his Star Wars stuff, and the guy has great storytelling skills.  It's a shame they won't trust him with more.

Technically they did trusted Filoni with more as he was promoted to head of animation development or something of that sort.  His weakness is he does not have experience directing outside animation.  But they could/should have given him chance to produce and write a live action movie or two.

As far as D&D, you are right.  There is a big catalog of legacy stuffs for them to translate to big screen.  They would be great at making a movie trilogy based on the old KotOR 1&2 PC games + comic, for example

• Like 2