$100 to burn at Lego store, 8 years old - what would you buy?

trstnkn

Question

My son has $100 to spend at the Lego store tomorrow.  He asked me to research what he should buy.  My recommendation was going to be one of the Creator cars - Ferrari F40, VW Beetle, or Mini Cooper.

He likes to build more than anything which is why I thought a higher piece count, challenging build would be better than anything else.

Is there anything else you would recommend?  And of the three Creator sets, which do you like the best?

14 answers to this question

I haven't built the F40, but I've built the other two and the T1 and I'd probably recommend the Beetle if you're going that route, but I've enjoyed them all.

If you're looking for high piece count and he may want to play, 70617 The Temple of the Ultimate Ultimate Weapon has 1403 pieces and seven minfigures and can be had for $80 at other stores.  I haven't built this, but I did just pick one up for my boys.

If he really likes building, I would maybe try to get a couple of the bigger 3-in-1 sets like 31070, which would be three challenging builds. Another option would be the Caterham which I have seen on sale in Lego stores, so he could get something else substantial as well. The Creator cars are a good option as well. Nice problem to have all that money to burn!

Thank you for the great suggestions!  

@Phil B - Great minds...  SaturnV was already purchased and will be under the Christmas tree for him.  

I've already spotted him an extra $20 to add onto his birthday money.  I'll resell the holiday giveaway is the arrangement if price hits $99.

I'll have him check out the 31070 3-in1, Ninjago Temple and 42065 RC Racer.

Might also throw the 75883 Mercedes Speed Champions or larger Porsche sets into the mix.

Thank you again for the help.  If we don't go in with a plan, we will be there for hours deliberating.  Plus, I don't want him to strong arm me for the 21310 Fishing Store which oddly he is dying to build.  I might cave...

Edited by trstnkn
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, trstnkn said:

Thank you again for the help.  If we don't go in with a plan, we will be there for hours deliberating.  Plus, I don't want him to strong arm me for the 21310 Fishing Store which oddly he is dying to build.  I might cave...

We only get to the Lego store once a year tops, but we deliberate forever, so I totally understand what you're saying. 

I was going to suggest the Fishing Store, but since it was a whole $50 out of the budget I declined.  I also really anticipated this model, I'm through the #1 bags and need to quit working and get back to it.

35 minutes ago, TabbyBoy said:

Since an 8yr old probably won’t be investing, an F40? Retirement won’t matter unless Daddy needs more beer!

Many 8 year olds are probably savvier at it than us! I meant that those sets would be good buys now as they offer nice builds and will be harder to find/ more expensive in a few months.

After much research & deliberation this morning, we went into the store thinking we would purchase the Ferrari.

However, once he saw the Fishing Store he started thinking about how he could get that instead.  It didn't take too much arm twisting, but he now owes me $25 and walked out with the Fishing Store in hand.

2.5 hours later he's still building, and I imagine will finish it before bedtime.  He loves it.

Again, many thanks.  Looks like Ferrari will be on his Christmas list.

And as FYI -- Our store no longer had the Caterham.  They did have a few of the Women of NASA on the shelf.  Saturn V is still only sold upon request.

• Like 4