what is the best current lego to invest in?

henrybill22

Question

13 answers to this question

Guest TabbyBoy

Simple... Something that isn't talked about much on here as we're all competitors a the end of the day. Do what I do and speak to as many kids' parents as you can to see what they like, this will give you a good idea of what to buy when it's cheap (eg. 3-for-2 sales) and then flip at Xmas. Timing is now much more important than holding long term. I went in very big on 21304 Doctor Who, 21006 White House and 21020 Trevi Fountain before they were discussed widely on here and I also got them all at an average of 50% off ;-)

IMPORTANT... Don't get carried away when buying as you can build up too much stock very quickly which can be hard to shift, I made that mistake and it was VERY expensive!

What sets currently appeal to you?

1 hour ago, henrybill22 said:

i want to invest in some new lego as a financial investment. what do you think the best current sets are to buy and keep boxed as an investment?

Investing in Lego, is no longer investing in Lego, it’s a straight up retail arbitrage game.  If you want to get into the business of buying and selling, fine.  If not find somewhere else to hold your funds.

In all seriousness I wouldn’t get into the game this year (in the UK at least), poor choice in retiring sets, Lego falling out of favour and the heavy discounts we saw last year don’t look to be repeated, add in the possibility of moving into a recession in 2018/2019 and other resellers liquidating.  Risk V return does not look favourable. 

But if you’re absolutely determined, look for short run popular themes that are just about to retire, sets that no one is talking about and buy with at least a 30% discount (50% is better).  
Jurassic world and Scooby Doo did well after retiring last year. Check which sets did particularly well in those themes.  Those are the types of sets you are looking for.   

2 hours ago, TabbyBoy said:

Simple... Something that isn't talked about much on here as we're all competitors a the end of the day. Do what I do and speak to as many kids' parents as you can to see what they like, this will give you a good idea of what to buy when it's cheap (eg. 3-for-2 sales) and then flip at Xmas. Timing is now much more important than holding long term. I went in very big on 21304 Doctor Who, 21006 White House and 21020 Trevi Fountain before they were discussed widely on here and I also got them all at an average of 50% off ;-)

IMPORTANT... Don't get carried away when buying as you can build up too much stock very quickly which can be hard to shift, I made that mistake and it was VERY expensive!

What sets currently appeal to you?

True enough. Last year the Ideas set everyone ignored and even slated was TBBT,  I bought plenty at deep discount without much competition, they're keeping pace with Wall-E price wise and it sells fast. 

Lego boost in the argos 3 for 2 would have been good for flipping at Xmas unfortunately most stores have been cleared out.

I'd say this year is going to be a really bad year for picking winners. With no retiring IP theme except Simpson's. Slave 1 and yellow submarine will be hoarded to death.  Too many star wars sets around for any retiring to have real growth. S2 Speed champions prob won't have anywhere near success of S1. Because of Dragon Sanctuary everyone will pile in on Elves sets hoping to find the gem in the next wave, same way everyone kept buying sw rebels sets(me included) after success of the Phantom & Ghost only to be disappointed. Ninjago did ok for.me last year but with the movie out that sector will be oversaturated with sets. I'm being much more cautious this year in UK and only looking at specific sets I like at 50% or more off. It's certainly not an investors market this year.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Fenix_2k1 said:

True enough. Last year the Ideas set everyone ignored and even slated was TBBT,  I bought plenty at deep discount without much competition, they're keeping pace with Wall-E price wise and it sells fast. 

Not over here.  They were both $59.99 sets.  TBBT's sales rank is around 25,000 at $79.  Wall-E's sales rank is 22,000 at $129.  Not to de-rail the thread or anything...

4 hours ago, Loghamel said:

Not over here.  They were both $59.99 sets.  TBBT's sales rank is around 25,000 at $79.  Wall-E's sales rank is 22,000 at $129.  Not to de-rail the thread or anything...

This is another important lesson for OP. Be aware that most posts on here are from the US and what works over there doesn't necessarily work in UK, Europe. Especially true when it comes to Superheroes & Friends sets.

Guest TabbyBoy

I would mention speculating on digital currencies, but I won't. Huge rewards with huge risk.

If I was still LEGO investing, I'd buy all the 21309 Saturn V rockets that I could. I only bought 3 to sell 2 which should pay for the one I keep.

It's also wise to find an alternative to eBay as it's no longer the safe place it once was and they care more about their fees than their customers. Try selling on here, Facebook and try to build up a local community. Remember eBay/PayPal will often make more profit than you on your set with no risk to them.

If you must do it - wait until you find a great deal on something.

Find a great set? it's covered, a great theme? covered, a hidden gem? yes, even that is covered. There are no more hidden treasures to find (you might get lucky, and try to convince yourself that you are brilliant - but you really just got lucky).

Find a great deal - something you could sell immediately at a profit (if you wanted to), and wait patiently (but be ready to sell if you get a quick rise in value).