Identifying sets from bulk

Hi everyone I'm new to all this so would appreciate some assistance please. 

I am am getting into Lego through buying bulk and separating out any sets based on instructions included in the sale. I am no doubt going to have some left over to create an inventory with. My question is how can I identify if I have any sets, or at least partial sets, from the bricks in my inventory?

Along the same lines I've seen what seems to be quite a cheap bulk lot based on the per kilo price but there are no instructions included. Part of the description says there are Harry Potter, Indiana jones and a few other themes in there but how can I find out what sets there are included? 

Apologies if if this has been covered before I've had a brief look through the forum but can't seem to find anything 

Maybe through the minifigures or the minifigure torsos (since you'll see them jumbled a lot of times).  If no minifigures are pictured that should send up a big red flag.  Then see if you can see hints of those sets in the pictures.  Vice versa if you see some recognizable pieces like the sand green towers of Harry Potter sets or the stickered panel pieces, then look for some of the corresponding minifigures. Don't assume that anything will be 100% complete.  I find that almost always I have to Bricklink at least a few pieces.  If you're just starting to get into it, check the sales prices of the sets you identify on ebay and see if you can earn your money back after fees and taxes and what you budget for extra parts.  You don't want to start out with buying parts lots.

City vehicles often have a licence plate sticker including the set number. So if you see a tile with 2 letters followed by 4 or 5 numbers you know you have the set number. A 4 or 5 digit number on a sticker anywhere is nearly always the set number the part came from.
Also look out for large unusual parts and parts in unusual colours

• 1 year later...
260a899f3ce3a31b269207acd1e352d4.jpg77b76b3f3c138178e4d11303ecffac73.jpgReally stumped this time...:: I know it’s Harry Potter but.....???

Off the top of my head, but I believe the car is the flying car from the previous iteration of Hogwarts Express 

Those two snow-covered trees are from the Belleville theme (1 set and the 2007 advent calendar): https://www.bricklink.com/catalogItemIn.asp?P=3471pb01&in=S

Actually, the car is from Escape from Privet Drive: https://www.bricklink.com/v2/catalog/catalogitem.page?S=4728-1#T=S&O={"iconly":0}

• Like 1

1 hour ago, labfreak7 said:

Here is another question mark. It is obviously a train station, but I don’t know which one. As always, thanks in advance.9cdba149f9623e135109874d8289f6ab.jpg

And check the selling prices on those metal 9V tracks - straights are going for significant money. You might want to sell those off :)

EDIT: You have a mix of old Dark Gray as well as Dark Bluish Gray tracks - the old Dark Gray track are not worth much compared to the DBG ones.

Edited by Phil B
  • Like 1