70618 - Destiny's Bounty

HandyHand

It's a great looking set, however, I must resist the urge to buy to build, otherwise, with all of the other sets (which look great), that would mean trying to persuade the wife to have another room to accommodate more sets.  Already have a room for my UCS Star Wars collection and another for my modular town.  A third room would be overstepping the mark! 

For investment purposes, a lot depends on whether the film is a commercial success and there is a sequel with potential spin offs.  However, I have doubts, given the limited success of the current line and past performance of previous sets.  But you can't take deny that the current line up, looks great, especially the city modular.

Edited by LahH001

On 3.08.2017 at 11:18 AM, Captain_chaos said:

The UK RRP is surprisingly low (£119.99), and plenty of places already seem to have it cheaper.

Guys forget about the pictures and video reviews. This set is absolutely stellar in real life, pictures ddnt do the justice how amazing how complex and how detailed this ship is.
Today during shopping when I spotted this ship in the display I was sold immediately, I have had absolutely no anticipetion to buy this thing but It's just absolutely mesmerising when you see it in flesh!
Forget about the pictures video reviews etc. just go and see it or buy it. Price for what you get is a steal!
This set was sold out in first 2 days in Leicester Square Flagship Store! Another after Apollo streak! Waiting for Hat-Trick with Ninjago City because I'm more than certain the Ninjago City will be absoltutely amazing!

On 8/4/2017 at 11:26 AM, Padolski said:

This set might be comparable to the Lego movie Metalbeard Sea Cow (70810). That set is doing pretty good right? RRP $250 and selling for $330 now 

It's doing terrible. After it retired it shot up to $450. Now it's 300-330. Investors late to buy caused the spike. 

I don't think that means anything for 70618. It's much cheaper than Sea Cow and a more traditional ship. Plus it should be easy to pick up at a discount. Sea Cow was rarely if ever discounted. 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Picked up here in Oz for $180.00. A beautiful build so far (only up to bag 5).

Personally, there is no investment potential unless purchased for sub AUD$100. The hassle of storage , keeping the box minty mint and finally the ridiculous Australia Post postage charges - just not worth it for me.

I will be moderately interested to watch how the Ninjago movie sets preform post retirement in comparison to the Batman movie sets.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

RE: investment.

I'd probably take it outside the context of the popularity of any movie based sets.  This is just a great standalone build that would fit in well with pirate ship's. A detailed design rather than crazy ott design of seacow.

I guess it really depends on how long its around for but I'm optimistic.  Put it this way, I'm no ninjago fan but this was a day one purchase for me.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Fenix_2k1 said:

RE: investment.

I'd probably take it outside the context of the popularity of any movie based sets.  This is just a great standalone build that would fit in well with pirate ship's. A detailed design rather than crazy ott design of seacow.

I guess it really depends on how long its around for but I'm optimistic.  Put it this way, I'm no ninjago fan but this was a day one purchase for me.

Yeah, same for me. Not a Ninjago fan, but the big Ninjago sets that have a more general oriental look without being too specific Ninjago focused are still great additions to my Lego collection. And here I mean the Temple of Airjitzu and also Destiny's Bounty. :) 

I was already happy when I could order it from Amazon UK recently at £99,99 which is still a good offer compared to the Dutch RRP of €170. But £75 really beats that by a large margin! 

I'd say, enjoy it for yourself, @Ciaraf76 !

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Val-E said:

That´s half the RRP here after only 2 months out!

It was 3for2 at argos the day it was released.  Give it time and it’ll be an easy 50% uk discount.  18/24 months before EOL and another year for RRP on the secondary market though.

Still one of the best sets this year.   

10 minutes ago, Captain_chaos said:

If the EU RRP is equivalent to almost £160, might demand from the EU push value past the UK RRP more quickly once it retires?

Doubt it. Germany is the motor of the standard Ninjago economy in terms of demand and Germans don´t tend to buy outside their own country, unless the price is really low or they can´t find the item.

I would wait to see how reception of the movie and xmas demand is before sinking any investment coin into these sets. For personal build and parting out, 75 quid is a very decent price.

13 minutes ago, Captain_chaos said:

If the EU RRP is equivalent to almost £160, might demand from the EU push value past the UK RRP more quickly once it retires?

Be surprised.  It’s available everywhere, recognised as being a decent set and will experience big discounts. 
There’s going to be a lot of stock around, so unless there is a real demand pull, there will be people just going for turnover.

Also the Forex rates may not look so appealing in 2 years, if the ECB decide to devalue during the recession to help exports.  

16 minutes ago, The Leveller said:

You were spot on. The first 50 percent discount on Amazon.co.uk is a fact. Just ordered one for a personal build.

Disclaimer: That´s 50% off for those of us who live un TLG taxed eurozone countries - pre shipping and taking into account current exchange rate. It´s only a third off RRP for Brits and is a Smyths price match. I expect to see it even cheaper in Tesco 3 4 2.

Edited by Val-E

• 4 weeks later...
Guest TabbyBoy
42 minutes ago, marcandre said:

Apparently included with this set is a free cat lounger. I'll remember to put away my box next time.:mda:

IMG_3926.JPG

Cute cat, my Tabby does the same also. I normally scan my boxes into a PDF and throw the originals away. I wonder if this is where Argos/TRU/UPS staff get their ideas from when delivering crushed boxes?

The 70618 looks fantastic (better than that disgusting half-arsed Silent Mary monstrosity) and is bigger than you think. At £109.99 RRP (not £119.99) RRP in the UK which is great value, I just could't resist today's 2xVIP and promo set. I can't wait to build it and I may even get another once the first one "ships".

Even though this set is available everywhere, there's no reason why it can't do well, especially if big discounts are common. AFOLs may initially dismiss it as it's NINJAGO, but then realise that it's a good representation of a Chinese Junk. I remember seeing the Black Pearl everywhere, but I wasn't playing the game back then - oh, the benefit of hindsight!