Inventory / selling dilemma with a huge set

So I recently purchased a large set (42055 - Bucket Wheel Excavator) from Target clearance section.

Came home and clearly the box had been opened so I needed to inventory.

Double checked the quantities of numbered bags and accounted for everything, all numbered bags, instructions, motorized parts.

Everything was sealed except for the motor / switch board piece and ONE numbered bag.

The numbered bag that was opened has a slight cut up at the top so there were a few loose pieces in the box that had fallen out of the bag. I highly doubt I had found them all...and I'm sure there is ONE missing or something.

So question is, how do I sell this... will all the bags sealed and make it very clear one of the 32 bags was open and possibly not complete?

Or is there a way to inventory these individual numbered bags? (Doubt that info exists).

Or to built the entire thing and then make sure it's complete or not, then sell as used.

Any feedback / opinions would be appreciated. I really have no dying urge to build this, but if I am going to have to sell it "used / possibly not complete" anyways, I could.

4 minutes ago, scatttcat said:

So I recently purchased a large set (42055 - Bucket Wheel Excavator) from Target clearance section.

Came home and clearly the box had been opened so I needed to inventory.

Double checked the quantities of numbered bags and accounted for everything, all numbered bags, instructions, motorized parts.

Everything was sealed except for the motor / switch board piece and ONE numbered bag.

The numbered bag that was opened has a slight cut up at the top so there were a few loose pieces in the box that had fallen out of the bag. I highly doubt I had found them all...and I'm sure there is ONE missing or something.

So question is, how do I sell this... will all the bags sealed and make it very clear one of the 32 bags was open and possibly not complete?

Or is there a way to inventory these individual numbered bags? (Doubt that info exists).

Or to built the entire thing and then make sure it's complete or not, then sell as used.

Any feedback / opinions would be appreciated. I really have no dying urge to build this, but if I am going to have to sell it "used / possibly not complete" anyways, I could.

Maybe help you?

https://brickset.com/article/22846/review-42055-bucket-wheel-excavator

You could maybe contact Lego themselves? The whole story is legitimate enough, just omit the resell part and it shouldn't raise any red flags on your account or anything. You're the end consumer, and you plan to give this as a gift (and therefore can't build it yourself to check), but want to make sure it's 100%. Surely someone at Lego has the means of finding out the specific contents on each bag. A machine is packing it identically out there somewhere, so the information certainly exists. You might have to dig a bit with them, but worth a shot??

Edited by Zelgazra
  • Like 1

I have had bags missing from a set before and you can tell Lego what bag number you are missing, and they will replace all of the missing pieces, but you won't receive a sealed, numbered bag. You will have to sell it as new, open box or exchange it at Target.

ETA: you may end up being short or overshipped by LEGO if you don't precisely know what pieces are missing.

36 minutes ago, redghostx said:

I have had bags missing from a set before and you can tell Lego what bag number you are missing, and they will replace all of the missing pieces, but you won't receive a sealed, numbered bag. You will have to sell it as new, open box or exchange it at Target.

ETA: you may end up being short or overshipped by LEGO if you don't precisely know what pieces are missing.

This. Unless you got it for 50% off or more I would just return or exchange it (don't think they will have another in store as it probably was an online return) not worth the headache, time or money IMO. 

You can build it then sell or if you really want to sell it go with Used no box open bags incomplete. 

• Like 2