Dark Gray vs others

LegoMan1212

Question

Picture below.  I'm pretty certain that I have Dark Bluish Gray on the bottom and Dark Gray above those, but the two in the middle that are off-centered, what are these?  They seem lighter than the Dark Gray around them unless I have my colors wrong??  These are my 1st Dark Gray and later on I'm sure I'll have a question about LIght Gray.  Thanks for the help.

20170506_122338.jpg

11 answers to this question

1 minute ago, MarleyMoose said:

The  more I look at it I'm not sure now...

New picture because it is driving me nuts as they are so close.  

Ok on these ones you have Dark Bley on the far right.  Light Bley on the Far left.  These I have matched to pieces from 75105 so I know I'm good there.

1.  The 2nd to the left piece looks like Light Gray to me and possibly faded too or maybe it was always like that?

2.  The 2x6 in the middle, the top ones are lighter than the bottom ones.  This is where I'm having the hardest time and maybe they are simply Faded a little??  

20170506_124502.jpg

20170506_124515.jpg

Also, I am certain the bottom 2x6's are Dark Gray as they match Spino01 tail pieces.

1 minute ago, c_rpg said:

Just looks like UV damage to me.

Perfect, this is what I sort of suspected but these colors are so damn close I didn't know if my eyes were playing tricks or not.  What about the Old Light Gray, is that normal or is that damaged?

3 hours ago, LegoMan1212 said:

Also, I am certain the bottom 2x6's are Dark Gray as they match Spino01 tail pieces.

Perfect, this is what I sort of suspected but these colors are so damn close I didn't know if my eyes were playing tricks or not.  What about the Old Light Gray, is that normal or is that damaged?

Hard to say. Do the hydrogen peroxide trick and see if they get less yellow\brown.

Maybe you gray-ologists can help me.  I'm looking to match some parts in some recent sets - Brickset calls out the colors as "Dark Stone Grey"  or "Medium Stone Grey"... yet when I search on Bricklink, all I find are Dark Gray, Dark Bluish Gray, Light Gray, and Light Bluish Gray... what gives?

Brickset is using Lego's name for the colors. Many of BrickLink's color guide names are different than what Lego actually calls colors. This is not obvious since sets never talk about color names. Greens are like this too. If you go to Lego's online pick-a-brick you will find modern greys as this "stone" color. I believe Dark Stone is dark bley and Medium Stone is light bley. Remember there is actually a "very light bley" that presumably is Light Stone, though I haven't looked that up.

42 minutes ago, Kenxxx said:

Maybe you gray-ologists can help me.  I'm looking to match some parts in some recent sets - Brickset calls out the colors as "Dark Stone Grey"  or "Medium Stone Grey"... yet when I search on Bricklink, all I find are Dark Gray, Dark Bluish Gray, Light Gray, and Light Bluish Gray... what gives?

3 minutes ago, Cozei said:

Brickset is using Lego's name for the colors. Many of BrickLink's color guide names are different than what Lego actually calls colors. This is not obvious since sets never talk about color names. Greens are like this too. If you go to Lego's online pick-a-brick you will find modern greys as this "stone" color. I believe Dark Stone is dark bley and Medium Stone is light bley. Remember there is actually a "very light bley" that presumably is Light Stone, though I haven't looked that up.

That's why I always have a printout of this handy: http://www.brickowl.com/colors

590efc07857c2_Screenshotfrom2017-05-0706-50-35.thumb.png.2520575ec34aa7c2cd18af10050000f6.png

• Like 1

17 hours ago, LegoMan1212 said:

There is another shade of gray (very old) that was rarely used (which this one might be). UV damage is certainly possible, but I would check the color on the underside of the bricks (to see if they match).

Edited by KShine