What Exclusive Set will take the longest post EOL to reach 1.5 x RRP

Just looking at the other side of the coin from the 5xRRP thread and just wondering what exclusive sets people think will struggle to make any solid gains after retirement.

My two cents worth is the Batman Classic Series Batcave. Price has already been permanently reduced by nearly 25% here and looking at the online stock levels of our biggest retailer, nearly every store has twice the number of these of any other big ticket set they stock.

I went with 1.5 times RRP because the way some exclusives are going, double RRP might be a bit too optimistic.

Guest TabbyBoy

I would say none as there are no current exclusive sets on sale in the UK. Everything is sold nearly everywhere and is very easy to find ;-)

The Batman Movie Maker may be the only exception, but this will probably fall into the abyss once the movie is forgotten. The Batcave is far from exclusive in the UK, sorry.

13 minutes ago, TabbyBoy said:

I would say none as there are no current exclusive sets on sale in the UK. Everything is sold nearly everywhere and is very easy to find ;-)

The Batman Movie Maker may be the only exception, but this will probably fall into the abyss once the movie is forgotten. The Batcave is far from exclusive in the UK, sorry.

You know well what I mean by exclusive, sets which Lego themselves, on their wonderfully knowledgeable and efficient website class as exclusive.

Guest TabbyBoy
2 minutes ago, Sprocket77 said:

You know well what I mean by exclusive, sets which Lego themselves, on their wonderfully knowledgeable and efficient website class as exclusive.

OK... I was being pedantic, my vote is 10214 Tower Bridge.

I´ll take Ass on Hoth - you know what I mean....

Current exclusive sets I doubt will reach 1.5 RRP in current market conditions: Batcave, Death Star, AoH, ToA, The Village, TB, KWEM, SHIELD and GBHQ.

The one I think has the best chance is probably Slave 1.

Edited by Val-E

Guest TabbyBoy

1.5x RRP does seem a little optimistic for short term gains in the current era of retail arbitrage. I would like to see true limited exclusives like the 21104 Mars Rover, 21110 Research Institute and 41999 Crawler return to the "game" and rekindle the interest that some of us have lost.

4 minutes ago, TabbyBoy said:

1.5x RRP does seem a little optimistic for short term gains in the current era of retail arbitrage. I would like to see true limited exclusives like the 21104 Mars Rover, 21110 Research Institute and 41999 Crawler return to the "game" and rekindle the interest that some of us have lost.

Not gonna happen. TLG need all the sales they can get to maintain momentum and past LE sets have been nothing but negative publicity with angry customers not able to get them before the horde. Your best bets are the exclusives to one store and Lego Shop as some of those have been great investments - RE, Arctic Plane etc.

The next UCS Falcon will also be pretty exclusive, I can´t see many shops stocking it at that RRP.

Edited by Val-E

1 hour ago, Sprocket77 said:

Just looking at the other side of the coin from the 5xRRP thread and just wondering what exclusive sets people think will struggle to make any solid gains after retirement.

My two cents worth is the Batman Classic Series Batcave. Price has already been permanently reduced by nearly 25% here and looking at the online stock levels of our biggest retailer, nearly every store has twice the number of these of any other big ticket set they stock.

I went with 1.5 times RRP because the way some exclusives are going, double RRP might be a bit too optimistic.

Have to second the batcave. After building it I have commented that it is a set that just doesn't fit anywhere. It's a playset based on an adult theme that has zero displayability.

GB firehouse could fall into a similar category but it is actually a great display piece that fits nicely in a Creator expert town line up.

With the other sets people have mentioned the main thing stopping rises above 1.5 x rrp is the number hoarded. With PS,SC and EV doing so poorly post eol I can already see a shift in attitudes towards putting money and storage space into large sets that are a PITA to sell. That will hopefully bring about a market correction in future years.