Bulk purchase, need opinions

2 hours ago, scatttcat said:

On my CL everyone seemingly over prices their Legos. I live in San Diego, so this probably makes sense. Everyone has a couple sets, checks eBay and lists their lots at double. Also a lot of garbage "1 duffle bag full of Legos" in which you have NO way of seeing anything.

There was a comment about the bulk seller's photos being disorganized, ironically they had their lot the most organized I have seen so far, easy. haha

Seems like its a tough city to get any good deals in general, but its the nature of the game I guess. 

Thanks for the advice!

I am in San Diego too, and trust me, you will come across better deals. It just requires a bit of patience. I picked up a couple of bulk lots here the past month at really good deals. Plus look around Craigslist in LA area if you are willing to drive a couple of hours. Every now and then someone just needs to unload their Lego for whatever reason and will accept less money. The last two lots I purchased were at half the original asking price which wasn't that inflated in the first place.

Edited by JoshB

I am in San Diego too, and trust me, you will come across better deals. It just requires a bit of patience. I picked up a couple of bulk lots here the past month at really good deals. Plus look around Craigslist in LA area if you are willing to drive a couple of hours. Every now and then someone just needs to unload their Lego for whatever reason and will accept less money. The last two lots I purchased were at half the original asking price which wasn't that inflated in the first place.

Just curious if you don't mind me asking. With these last two lots, how much did you pay for each and how much return (approximate) did you get?

Also were they well organized? As in they semi-knew what set numbers they had?

Or did you just pick up rare stuff because you have a good eye in your experience?

It's such a rush finding a large lot that has some organization, haha I think that's why I jumped on that last one

3 hours ago, scatttcat said:

Just curious if you don't mind me asking. With these last two lots, how much did you pay for each and how much return (approximate) did you get?

Also were they well organized? As in they semi-knew what set numbers they had?

Or did you just pick up rare stuff because you have a good eye in your experience?

It's such a rush finding a large lot that has some organization, haha I think that's why I jumped on that last one

One was listed at $400. It was a 60 lb lot with a millennium falcon 4504, international jetport 6396, 7893 passenger plane, also tons of minifigs and train stuff from the 90s. He ended up taking $200 for the lot. The other was a 40lb lot with 60+ minifigs with a good mix of star wars, city, and castle stuff from the last 15 years. He took $120 for the lot. Both sellers just wanted to get rid of their lots. I haven't listed anything yet to sell from those lots, but I figure I will get around to it this summer.

99% of craigslist and offerup lego listings are overpriced (at least in the san diego area) and as soon as the sellers realize that after their listing hasn't been sold after a week they are more flexible on the price, even those that list their price as firm. Also, if they live close enough to me I will go and look at the lot. This is what I did with the last two, and I was able to look through and see a lot of good stuff that you couldn't see in the images. I was also able to see if and how much non lego junk was in there.

As already mentioned, the sellers look around on ebay and see some prices for some lego sets and they automatically think that their lego is worth as much if not more. If you are patient and polite with them, usually they will drop the price down to your ballpark.