Amazon Business Account

TheBrickClique

I'd like opinions on the Amazon Business Accounts for Lego reselling.  Since many of the deals and no-limits buying seems to be coming into the Business Accounts.

I assume I wouldn't have any problems getting an account and I've had a reseller certificate for years if I wanted to submit that as an option.

Right now, I ship more out of state than in state, so I don't charge in-state customers sales tax since I more than offset all the necessary collected sales taxes with originally paid sales taxes.  Even with the offset, I'm leaving money on the table that the state gladly keeps.

I haven't ever tried to avoid sales taxes with the retailers in order to stay below their reseller radar as much as possible.

But, if Amazon welcomes Lego purchases, then I expect the percentage of sales wouldn't change my formula if I bought from Amazon and got out of sales tax -- I'd still have paid more sales tax from TRU, Target, Walmart, etc... than I was obligated to collect from in-state buyers.

So, I guess two questions.

Are there any drawbacks to signing up for the Amazon Business Account?

Are there any drawbacks to also submitting my reseller permit?

Seems they welcome personal prime accounts (have of course) applied to their business accounts so I'd take advantage of that too.

I'm having trouble seeing any cons in this equation.  Definitely a bunch of pros.  Just want to make sure before I make the plunge.

Thanks!

• Like 1

The drawback would be not starting one .. paying sales tax when u are eligible to purchase tax free puts u at a major disadvantage with many sellers . 

U don't want to use prime shipping for business purchases since that's a no no with Amazon ( having a prime account is not an issue ) 

u can also offer business prices like Amazon does to those with a business account so u can tap into that if u so choose . 

I have a legitimate business that I do purchasing for, so I signed up because of that.  I also have the freedom to shop for myself when necessary. 

I also signed up because at the onset they were offering some type of crazy coupon, I don't remember the exact details but it was like 25% off a purchase of up to $500 or something like that so I used it for my own benefit.  

2 hours ago, TheBrickClique said:

I'd like opinions on the Amazon Business Accounts for Lego reselling.  Since many of the deals and no-limits buying seems to be coming into the Business Accounts.

Thanks!

What no-limits buying are you referring to?  I have a business account and haven't run into any situations in which Amazon removes their buying limits, but I don't buy a lot from Amazon anymore because of the quantity limits so I can't say that I've tested it much over the last year or so.

2 minutes ago, redcell said:

What no-limits buying are you referring to?  I have a business account and haven't run into any situations in which Amazon removes their buying limits, but I don't buy a lot from Amazon anymore because of the quantity limits so I can't say that I've tested it much over the last year or so.

It's hit or miss, mostly miss.

2 minutes ago, redcell said:

I thought I had seen instances indicating the cart could be filled with a lot of items -- beyond the typical 2 limit.  Maybe not.  Thanks for clarifying and exactly why I wanted to start this discussion :)

Seeing more cons now. 

So now I'm weighing lower prices versus shipping costs.  What does typical shipping set you back?

I found the clause in the Amazon Prime terms and conditions:

Prime members are not permitted to purchase products for the purpose of resale, rental, or to ship to their customers or potential customers using Prime benefits.

So this is a Prime Membership condition and not necessarily a Business Account with Prime Membership condition.

Oops.  I wonder percentage of us are guilty of violating this policy ?  Probably good that I have a ton of not-for-resell items in my order history.

Now, getting a business account, adding a reseller number, and linking it to my personal prime account sounds like I'm asking for trouble.

Also, with Amazon's accounting connecting detective work, they could see a reseller account not linked via Prime would have the same address, same IP, likely same CC info.

I checked a couple of shipping quotes on an old buyer account I have without Prime and for the most part, the shipping is on par with the sales tax rates -- $8 or so on a $100 item.  If the item is cheap, then the shipping is much more than tax unless you order $50 or more and the item qualifies for free shipping.  Also looks like I could use the Amazon Locker option -- as there one is nearby -- for small items.

Well, looks like the best route would be to go legit with a business account, submit the reseller permit, forgo Prime, and then start all resell purchases on that account and hope Amazon never reviews my past personal account purchases.

48 minutes ago, TheBrickClique said:

I thought I had seen instances indicating the cart could be filled with a lot of items -- beyond the typical 2 limit.  Maybe not.  Thanks for clarifying and exactly why I wanted to start this discussion :)

Seeing more cons now. 

So now I'm weighing lower prices versus shipping costs.  What does typical shipping set you back?

BTW, it seems that the Amazon purchase limits are all over the place now.

1 Technic Porche

3 Minecraft Snow Hideouts

7 Falcons

27 Poe Fighters

I know someone who opened an Amazon Business account. Amazon sent him a 20% code valid for the first $500 in purchased or something like that. It was pretty sweet! They may have stopped doing that though or it may have been some sort of promotion.

Edited by bigboy61

in 2016, i canceled my biz account after learning biz accounts exclude the monthly "subscribe and save" feature.  i didn't want to create a separate amazon just for that.

when i had my biz account, lego were never among the special biz discounts.  are lego products now included?

I haven't found anything that is excluded.

26 minutes ago, jaisonline said:

so you still see the "subscribe and save" links when logged into the biz account?

Yes, you can do recurring deliveries for anything, but may not be the same thing as "Subscribe and Save".  I haven't used that since converting.  "Prime Pantry" is still available too.

6 minutes ago, Bold-Arrow said:

everyone who is in the business of selling should have a personal and a business buying accounts, CC, bank accounts. ect.... choosing to do otherwise is not recommended .

So, what you're saying is, personal Prime account, business not so Prime account.