Unopened 8040 (1984)

pumlic

If you visit the main portion of this site with the news feed and Brickfolio etc (everything except the forum that is) you'll see a search bar. If you type in a set number into that bar it'll bring up the stats for the set. This is based off of average sales of the set on ebay, split up by the different US/UK/EU marketplaces. 

It's often good practice to take the reported number with a grain of salt though. I typically also go visit Bricklink.com and search the set there, then view "Price Guide" for last 6 months average sales (keep in mind, typically BL will be cheaper due to less fees for sellers, factor that in). Then I'll also go over to ebay itself, plug in a search like "lego 8040" and then tick the "sold listings" box and take a look at recent sales for the past month. 

Searching ebay.ca shows only 4 Used copies sold recently, around the price your seller is asking. I suspect you'd get a little more considering it's NISB, but I don't think you've found any sort of goldmine unfortunately; since the set is so old and rather dated in build technique and appearance, I suspect it's only hardcore technic collectors that might be chasing this one down. If I were a kid and received this over some of the other $35 USD modern sets... I think I'd be a sad panda. 

Edited by Zelgazra