Speed Champions 2017

Phil B

13 minutes ago, Gary81 said:

So with 75882 Ferrari FXX development retiring seemingly very early, what are the opinions on how this set will perform? It has potential to be a winner if people picked it up at the right price, though I didn’t see many decent discounts towards the end of the year. Whilst Ferrari is always going to be relatively steady, I can’t help thinking with all these new Ferrari speed champs coming out it may lose some of its appeal..

Not great in my opinion. It's the cars that people want, and this set only has one car. 

On 4. 12. 2017 at 10:42 PM, crayxlp said:

according to the known info these 6 2018-Champions sets should be on sale in January.. as I have seen the usual practice of LEGO is to make some announcement before tthey get into stores.. and its like a day less than a month to start of January.. somehow it doesnt compute.. 

I dont think so as they are not in catalog for the first half of the year

7 hours ago, kumas said:

I dont think so as they are not in catalog for the first half of the year

right. its been numerous times over and over posted here that there is a side note in the catalogue "expect new SCH sets in march / april" - its visible in the German catalogue and also in the first leaked Ukraine catalogue (although its quite understandable that almost noone noticed it in the Ukraine catalogue due to the azbuka lettering)

So with 75882 Ferrari FXX development retiring seemingly very early, what are the opinions on how this set will perform? It has potential to be a winner if people picked it up at the right price, though I didn’t see many decent discounts towards the end of the year. Whilst Ferrari is always going to be relatively steady, I can’t help thinking with all these new Ferrari speed champs coming out it may lose some of its appeal..

What new Ferrari’s? How many? I’ve seen several new Porches and a couple of Fords, but no Ferrari yet.

Nvm. I found them.

I’m a little sad. I really liked the FXX Dev set. I thought a dyno was a really cool and unique idea. I guess Lego thought so too and decided to do it again. With Ferrari again ...

At least this car is still unique. As long as it’s the only way to get this model, it could have some legs. Though I’m not sure how popular this particular model is in the real world.

The new set is more than double the price, but it does come with three cars. Though one is a repeat I think.

I had a chat on the phone with someone from the Entertainer about the sudden availability of Ferrari FXX set (75882). The Toy Shop took on a large order of 3 to 6 sets per store (127 stores) which are now on the physical shelf. Most stores now carry stock, according to her database. That is several hundred sets now back in play - quite a bit of dilution.  

Anyway, food for thought for this set, and indeed others. 

Edited by Villager Chris

On 19/02/2018 at 7:59 PM, Villager Chris said:

I had a chat on the phone with someone from the Entertainer about the sudden availability of Ferrari FXX set (75882). The Toy Shop took on a large order of 3 to 6 sets per store (127 stores) which are now on the physical shelf. Most stores now carry stock, according to her database. That is several hundred sets now back in play - quite a bit of dilution.  

Anyway, food for thought for this set, and indeed others. 

The Lego flush-out of 75882 has seen this set drop from £50 to £60 (sold prices), to under £30. 

Just shows how vulnerable we can be on any set. 

Guest TabbyBoy
1 minute ago, Villager Chris said:

The Lego flush-out of 75882 has seen this set drop from £50 to £60 (sold prices), to under £30. 

The thing is to not be too greedy and sell as soon as there's a reasonable profit. I sold mine at just under £50.

4 hours ago, Villager Chris said:

Those are auction sales, this set may pick up later in the year. Just look at the Ferrari truck, this time last year it looked like it was a turd, but it blossomed once the lowballers shifted.

Better to have these than the phantom, that may never reach RRP again LOL. I wonder how many of those will be returned this month?

• 1 month later...
6 hours ago, dragonmist64 said:

Bugatti is being shown as out of stock on Lego as of 4/4/18.  Thoughts on if it's an early retirement?

its being shown as CALL TO CHECK - not just out of stock.   c2c is a prelude to SOLD OUT though that could be months away.

maybe TLG doesn't want to crank out another batch since TRU is not going to take any.  or merlin will take up slack.

Edited by cladner

Yeh, TRU is a huge factor.  Regardless of whether or not it's going to retire now, I picked up quite a few yesterday in case this is the end.  Worst case scenario: it comes back and then retires by the end of the year.

On a slightly different note, since TRU is dead, do you think TLG will continue to make speed champions and sell them with another retailer(s)?  If so do you guys think just 2018 lineup or including 2017's?  I personally don't think TLG would send 2017 stock to retailers.

15 hours ago, cladner said:

its being shown as CALL TO CHECK - not just out of stock.   c2c is a prelude to SOLD OUT though that could be months away.

maybe TLG doesn't want to crank out another batch since TRU is not going to take any.  or merlin will take up slack.

Now showing SOLD OUT. Will be interesting if this actually goes 9 months ahead of schedule.

So, just a thought.  Weren't the Speed Champions exclusive to TRU?  Since TRU is going away, what do you think is going to happen to Speed Champions as a series?  Think there is enough demand for LEGO to continue the series?  I can't think of any series that are limited to just LEGO stores as this one soon will be. 

Personally, I think the first and this last wave have been the best.  But now that LEGO is going to be stuck with loads of this wave I wonder what the bean counters at LEGO will think about continuing the series as a whole.

14 minutes ago, exracer327 said:

So, just a thought.  Weren't the Speed Champions exclusive to TRU?  Since TRU is going away, what do you think is going to happen to Speed Champions as a series?  Think there is enough demand for LEGO to continue the series?  I can't think of any series that are limited to just LEGO stores as this one soon will be. 

Personally, I think the first and this last wave have been the best.  But now that LEGO is going to be stuck with loads of this wave I wonder what the bean counters at LEGO will think about continuing the series as a whole.

Umm yeah there is plenty of demand.  They are not going anywhere.  Probably by far the most popular line out the last few years.  At $15 a pop the cars fly off retail shelves and are oos at about 3 times the length than they are in stock. 

4 minutes ago, ravenb99 said:

Umm yeah there is plenty of demand.  They are not going anywhere.  Probably by far the most popular line out the last few years.  At $15 a pop the cars fly off retail shelves and are oos at about 3 times the length than they are in stock. 

I agree, I think the demand is there.  But can anyone think of another series that is sold exclusively by LEGO?  (Since TRU will be no more).  So I guess my question is more about the ability to move the sets rather than demand.  Like I wonder if LEGO will try to get someone else to pick up the series like either a Target or Walmart.  If they're smart, they're already lobbying LEGO to pick up the series.  Like you said, at $15 a pop, they easily move but in a few weeks their ability to move will be greatly reduced.