Purchase Thread of Shame

Phil B

After reluctantly buying my very first Nexo Knights set (Christmas present for my son who seems to be into it), I figured others might have "Shame" purchases that they might want to fess up to. Sort of the AA thread of BP. Not to be confused with the "Buyers Remorse" thread - these are purchases you willingly made for "good" purposes.

Anyways, my name is Phil B. and I purchased a 70321 General Magmar's Siege Machine of Doom from Jet.com today. The good news - I got it at 51% off using the EXTRA20 coupon after bundling it with a smaller set for my BL store.

• Like 1

When I first got into Lego reselling/collecting, I went all gung ho during my first double VIP event and ended up buying some 20 odd sets consisting of such luminaries as TB, PS, ToO, R5, VW Bus, and PC. When faced with my first Target clearance, I went crazy again and bought every Xmen Sentinel set I could get my hands on for $30. Two years later these sets are still in the red. You can even pick up the Xmen set for under RRP more than a year after retirement. Super Heroes - never again.

• Like 3

Anyways, my name is Phil B. and I purchased a 70321 General Magmar's Siege Machine of Doom from Jet.com today. The good news - I got it at 51% off using the EXTRA20 coupon after bundling it with a smaller set for my BL store.

On same line I got Jestro's Evil Mobile from a closing Kmart (-40% + gc). Secretly I want all the Nexo evil sets, esp the Volcano Lair. I wouldn't even bother building the token blue bits included.

Purchased discounted and dinged PS in Lego B&M the other day. Got double Snowglobe (instead of extra points). Only have 1 other of these purchased to build with kids, so...
  • Like 2

Yo, my name is Donbee. I bought an Elves display case featuring a boat and a tree house-type thingy for my daughter. The thing is huge, I have no place to put it, and the pieces are glued together. Every single little piece. Even the minifigure head my son broke off trying to play with it. My kids hate that they're glued together, purely on principle. I thought the ship would be even more playable glued together (Lord knows I'm regularly "repairing" accidentally disassembled sets), but they hate it.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Val-E said:

Research Overhoarded Institute.

I confess to buying a Maze - purpose and destination unknown. Just didn´t want to be left out. Does that make me a member of the horde?

I could get rid of them all - with a slight loss...

99 Euro + shipping costs will be sure in 2 or 3 months fr Maze... But to get more we would have to wait 1 or 2 years...

5 minutes ago, mauro23 said:

I could get rid of them all - with a slight loss...

99 Euro + shipping costs will be sure in 2 or 3 months fr Maze... But to get more we would have to wait 1 or 2 years...

In 2 years it will be in oblivion.

Only to remain in the remembrance of the reseller who bought it.  

Edited by Ciglione

5 minutes ago, mauro23 said:

Not for the LEGO Ideas completionists...

Well... I do not own any Exo-Suit and RI (anymore). Never bought any of the minecrafts, Doctor Who or anything else. Now... if I would be a huge Minecraft fan I would have bought those and would want to have the minecraft series complete. But Ideas/Cuusoo is not all of the same.

I just bought and kept the ones I liked. Delorean and Ecto-1. I do not need them all. And I am sure I am not alone.

Edited by Ciglione

I have bought 25 Chima sets at half-price to part out... just because I was tired of seeing a 4-digits amount in Paypal with nothing to spend it on. The Chima minifigs haven't moved as the cheapest on BrickLink and BrickOwl for a month.

And that was just a month before Black Friday.

Edited by Stragus

55 minutes ago, Ciglione said:

Well... I do not own any Exo-Suit and RI (anymore). Never bought any of the minecrafts, Doctor Who or anything else. Now... if I would be a huge Minecraft fan I would have bought those and would want to have the minecraft series complete. But Ideas/Cuusoo is not all of the same.

I just bought and kept the ones I liked. Delorean and Ecto-1. I do not need them all. And I am sure I am not alone.

You make me thinking - I have all of the ideas sets but don't like a half of them. I just have them for completion reason. How many percentage of sets should one like to collect every set of one theme... ?? 

35 minutes ago, mauro23 said:

You make me thinking - I have all of the ideas sets but don't like a half of them. I just have them for completion reason. How many percentage of sets should one like to collect every set of one theme... ?? 

Lego Ideas/Cuusoo isn't really a theme. Scooby Doo, that is a theme for example. There I can imagine someone would like to have the complete collection. Minecraft is a theme on its own. Just like Ghostbusters. So you do not have to own all Ideas/Cuusoo sets if you do not like them all.

I hope you catch my drift.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ciglione said:

Lego Ideas/Cuusoo isn't really a theme. Scooby Doo, that is a theme for example. There I can imagine someone would like to have the complete collection. Minecraft is a theme on its own. Just like Ghostbusters. So you do not have to own all Ideas/Cuusoo sets if you do not like them all.

I hope you catch my drift.

Yes, it would also explain, why 50% of this "theme" is not really nice to me... Minecraft, Dr. Who, TBBT, EXO, Maze do not appeal to me.

Guest TabbyBoy

I've now decided to NOT complete my Cussoo/Ideas collection as I just refuse to pay through the nose for anything, ie. Shinkai Sub! Also several are possible turkeys as follows:

21102 - Minecraft Forest (Peaked when out of stock and then bombed after EOL, spoiled by Microsoft?)

21109 - Exo Suit (Did this ever reach RRP on the secondary market? A superb set so why so universally detested?)

21302 - TBBT (What was the point of this? Dreadfully boring show!)

21305 - Unpopular since it's a game but, bits could do OK on Bricklink?

The others currently available have got potential as occasional selling over RRP is a good indicator. The only negative is the vast quantities produced and hoarded.