Hello, I am new here, I want to get started investing in lego, but it seems confusing, like, how do I know what sets to buy, what sets to not buy, when to buy them, and when to sell them, so I am asking for someone to please help me.

Thank You,

ps: I am also a lego vip member, would that help or not?

Edited by imnotyourdev

1 hour ago, pstebbing said:

Welcome. Grab a comfortable chair. You have A LOT of reading to do.

Oh and you could also grab this to read:

The Ultimate Guide to Collectible LEGO Sets: Identification and Price Guide

This book is really good if you are just starting out in lego investing, I highly recommend it.

It gives you lots of historical information of retired lego themes and sets and why they performed so well, information which can be found on Brickpicker, however it will take time to locate, this book has it all in one, its worth the £15, think of it as your first investment.

This book is really good if you are just starting out in lego investing, I highly recommend it.

It gives you lots of historical information of retired lego themes and sets and why they performed so well, information which can be found on Brickpicker, however it will take time to locate, this book has it all in one, its worth the £15, think of it as your first investment.

I'm not sure about the two blokes that wrote it, do they really know their stuff?? ;o)

11 hours ago, imnotyourdev said:

Hello, I am new here, I want to get started investing in lego, but it seems confusing, like, how do I know what sets to buy, what sets to not buy, when to buy them, and when to sell them, so I am asking for someone to please help me.

Thank You,

ps: I am also a lego vip member, would that help or not?

There's so many helpful resources on here is can be difficult to know where to start!  In the end you're best to put on a pot of hot cofee and hit the boards for the knowledge (as everyone's said it a case of just jumping in and reading).

A good general thread I'd recommend for all geographies are the "Lessons learned thread": 

Trust me - we're all going to make the same mistakes and this is a great source of "ohhhh... thats so obvious.... but exactly what I've just done!".  Some good advice there so I'd take a look.  

And also the "what did you buy/sell today" gives a good idea of what people are stocking up on and what is selling well.  There is plenty of help out here but as others have said this question is just a bit too vague.

Or there's this thread which I've found very helpful in the past:

Also the blogs - i cant speak highly enough of these.  Some real effort goes into them and its really good reading.  Especially the old ones on sets no longer available.  The market for Lego investing has changed so take with a pinch of salt but you don't get the distractions that some of the threads have when they go OT.

Even some back from 2013 make good reads and the insight in them there as you can compare it to what actually happened with the sets mentioned.  I won't list all the great ones here (as i may as well just link to the blog home page) but this is a good one to read on the kind of things you might hear on the site:

And I'll also say why limit yourself to new sets?  Just want to throw it out there that there's potential profit in already retired sets.

Welcome to the site and definitely let us know how you get on :)

Edited by GiliusThunderhead
  • Like 2

Not necessarily. If the fig is so incredible that it will carry the set on its own, then maybe. Usually for a good investment you want a set that has great exclusive minifigures AND a cool build design that can be appreciated by many types of collectors and builders. It's only been 2 days. There's no way you've read enough yet. Time for another pot of coffee, and back to it. I read for about a month before I even made a post and asked any questions.

There is much to learn in the depths of these threads. Heck, 15 months later and I'm still learning new tricks and strategies! 

8 minutes ago, thoroakenfelder said:

Do you mean an advent calendar? Don't let that be your first mistake.

No, like the winter toy shop 10249 and sets like that

15 minutes ago, Zelgazra said:

Not necessarily. If the fig is so incredible that it will carry the set on its own, then maybe. Usually for a good investment you want a set that has great exclusive minifigures AND a cool build design that can be appreciated by many types of collectors and builders. It's only been 2 days. There's no way you've read enough yet. Time for another pot of coffee, and back to it. I read for about a month before I even made a post and asked any questions.

There is much to learn in the depths of these threads. Heck, 15 months later and I'm still learning new tricks and strategies! 

I dont drink coffee, and I am tired of reading, I'll buy a star wars lego set that is exclusive, and comes with an exclusive minifig

Edited by imnotyourdev

3 minutes ago, imnotyourdev said:

No, like the winter toy shop 10249 and sets like that

I dont drink coffee, 

And what? Therefore you want your research and work done for you, for free? What was the point in that reply? You picked out the least important part of my message and replied to it. 

Best of luck in this game. I sense you'll go far. :umbrage: