Excited over Westfield San Francisco Grand Opening!

heat010

Tomorrow marks the grand opening weekend at Westfield San Francisco.  I'm a bit reluctant on the huge crowds that will be there between the kids and the AFOLs to get the cool promos.  But will try to get there as early as possible.

Friday - The backpack - Kind of cool. Will probably give it to my son when he gets old enough.

Saturday - The mini retail store - That will be the hot promo.  Extremely rare and in a limited number.  I hope I can get one.  It has a huge amount of collectibility/coolness.

Sunday  - Mini figs - Not as high on my list, but if I'm in the area, I may check them out.

10 a.m. tomorrow morning starts an interesting weekend.

7 hours ago, heat010 said:

Tomorrow marks the grand opening weekend at Westfield San Francisco.  I'm a bit reluctant on the huge crowds that will be there between the kids and the AFOLs to get the cool promos.  But will try to get there as early as possible.

Friday - The backpack - Kind of cool. Will probably give it to my son when he gets old enough.

Saturday - The mini retail store - That will be the hot promo.  Extremely rare and in a limited number.  I hope I can get one.  It has a huge amount of collectibility/coolness.

Sunday  - Mini figs - Not as high on my list, but if I'm in the area, I may check them out.

Advice & Tips: especially for Sat, get there right when the mall doors open, and wait in line outside the Lego store for it to open

example: if mall opens at 9am and Lego Store opens at 10am get there at 9am!

a big crowd is gonna be there, be early and prepared to wait, bring friends or family if possible to grab a few extra sets then sell any extra

I took my wife & mother-in-law to our last grand opening, got 3 Lego Store Promo, sold 2 and bought the Ferris Wheel (for free with profits) and kept one for us 

Have fun! :beerhat:

Edited by Deanfjr
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, heat010 said:

And yet the minifigs sell for as much as the store on eBay, if not more.  Do a search for lego store grand opening.  Looks like nothing special about the figures; must be all about the packaging.

@Deanfjr: Thanks for the tips.  I just noticed that there is a new one opening in Virginia "soon"

25 minutes ago, hockeyweasel said:

And yet the minifigs sell for as much as the store on eBay , if not more.  Do a search for lego store grand opening.  Looks like nothing special about the figures; must be all about the packaging.

@Deanfjr: Thanks for the tips.  I just noticed that there is a new one opening in Virginia "soon"

The minifigures have the year and location printed on their back, so they're actually the most exclusive item from a store grand opening. 

45 minutes ago, Deanfjr said:

Advice & Tips: especially for Sat, get there right when the mall doors open, and wait in line outside the Lego store for it to open

example: if mall opens at 9am and Lego Store opens at 10am get there at 9am!

Some malls will open the doors early to let people line up inside .. go the night before and ask a LEGO employee (preferably the Manager) if the mall will be open early. My local mall opened the doors at 8 or 8:30am (I can't remember) to let people in even though 9am was the official mall door opening time.

If you're looking for a store set to build, they usually get a few extras in case of damaged boxes. Don't ask on the weekend since you'll likely be told none exist (give them a break, it's pretty busy), but go early the next week and ask if they have any damaged boxes. Only the store manager is authorized to give those out though.

• Like 2

Wow, great day 1.  I got there with my infant son at 10:15 and we made the line that didn't start on the street level.  We went to the line outside of the store.  Waited about 20 minutes and we were in.  Got set 75150 which was on sale at 20% off.  They put in the london bus as a promo, but accidentally charged me for it, since I didn't hit the $75 limit for the purchase.  Will be returning it tomorrow.  Got the promo backpack for my son.

I know I'll have to be there much earlier tomorrow since it's the weekend and kids and parents will be attacking the store to get the mini Lego promo box.  I'll probably have to get the Falcon to get over the $100 limit.  No other sets caught my eye.

Also had a fun time at the build event on the second floor of the mall which I build a quick section and gave it to Chris the master builder who will add it to the giant figure build.  Unfortunately they will be done by tomorrow, but will have to tear it down tomorrow night.  Got a certificate of participation in the build event. 

Round 2 tomorrow.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, heat010 said:

Wow, great day 1.  I got there with my infant son at 10:15 and we made the line that didn't start on the street level.  We went to the line outside of the store.  Waited about 20 minutes and we were in.  Got set 75150 which was on sale at 20% off.  They put in the london bus as a promo, but accidentally charged me for it, since I didn't hit the $75 limit for the purchase.  Will be returning it tomorrow.  Got the promo backpack for my son.

I know I'll have to be there much earlier tomorrow since it's the weekend and kids and parents will be attacking the store to get the mini Lego promo box.  I'll probably have to get the Falcon to get over the $100 limit.  No other sets caught my eye.

Also had a fun time at the build event on the second floor of the mall which I build a quick section and gave it to Chris the master builder who will add it to the giant figure build.  Unfortunately they will be done by tomorrow, but will have to tear it down tomorrow night.  Got a certificate of participation in the build event. 

Round 2 tomorrow.

Nice, I have yet to see the backpack, could you post a pic please?

The new Lego Store in San Diego opens in September, so I'm curious to see how it goes in SF.  It's an open air mall, though, so I'm sure there will be some people lining up early.  The plan is to take the wife and kids both days, so we can grab everything and get a couple of stores and minifigure sets.

• Like 1

Well round 2 was interesting.  Got there at 7:15 a.m. and it was about 15 deep.  The mall opened the doors at 9:45 a.m. to get people into the lower level.  We then queued until the doors opened at 10.  Very organized, but my wife and I went a bit overboard and we came back with over $300 in merchandise and a bunch of promo stuff.  It was a once in a lifetime opportunity to get those retail mini models.  We're not going for the mini figs tomorrow.  Talking to people in line with like love of lego made the time go quickly.  A nice community.

1 hour ago, heat010 said:

Well round 2 was interesting.  Got there at 7:15 a.m. and it was about 15 deep.  The mall opened the doors at 9:45 a.m. to get people into the lower level.  We then queued until the doors opened at 10.  Very organized, but my wife and I went a bit overboard and we came back with over $300 in merchandise and a bunch of promo stuff.  It was a once in a lifetime opportunity to get those retail mini models.  We're not going for the mini figs tomorrow.  Talking to people in line with like love of lego made the time go quickly.  A nice community.

Pic of the backpack please.....

I was there too. I got there at 8:35am and didn't walk out of the store with my purchase until 11:40am. I wanted to pick up the new beetle but was told they just gave the last one away. While I was in line holding the Mini Cooper, someone from the back brings out a case and proceeds to hand one to someone standing near me. I immediately asked if I could have one and was ecstatic to get it. Got the London bus, Lego store set, and Olaf polybag (bought a tiny $6 Disney set). It was a lot crazier than I thought it was going to be but all the Lego employees were nice as usual.

I'm going tomorrow as well to get the minifigures. 

• Like 1

So when is the store opened? 10am or 11am? Wondering how early should one be planning to start getting in line to secure the exclusive set/fig...

…my day didn't start out the way I had planned the night before: Woke up late, then found out that my car was leaking coolant/radiator fluid. Had to choose whether to go and take a chance getting the Lego store set giveaway, knowing the line would be quite long by the time I get to the mall or bring the car for service and had it repaired by the end of the day...

…Lego won and I was in line around 8:40am and by this time, the line had already looped to Market St (it started on 5th St)… I was surprised when the line started moving around 9:45am and this is where my blood pressure went up a few degrees… between the group/family that was at the very corner of Market and 5th Sts, which was four groups before me, an additional 30-40 people (both children and adults) suddenly appeared in line - a classic case of line cutters? I thought my chance of getting the free set was now unattainable. Just imagine, these are people that I saw, what about those that I didn't because I was standing on Market St, yet there was already a long line on 5th St? Another long line outside the store and my patience was rewarded not only by a free Lego store set, but also a London Bus! How cool is that!?… Families were breaking up and paying separately to get multiple copies of the freeby sets. Grabbed one Star Wars set that was over $100 and was out by 11:30am...

…as always, the staff did their best to make the wait bearable and the buying experience memorable… shelves were well stocked and except for a few big ticket items that ran out (tho not limited), most, if not all were happy with their purchases… unfortunately the coolant leak in our car was not fixed; got to the shop a bit late to have the parts ordered so I have to try again next week...

…will I be there tomorrow morning for the minifigs?… you betcha! And this time I'm bringing a folding chair to sit on while waiting...

• Like 3

Day 3 and it was a nice but tiring finale.  Went down with my family and got there around 2:30 and there was a 10 minute wait to get in.  Surprisingly there were minifigs available.  If we got there an hour later I would have imagined that they would have been gone.  These are not to be opened at all with individual numbering on the package and cool printing on the back of each minifigure.  We spent a ton, but we got gifts and sets that my child will open and build in a few years.  Here's a picture of my 3 day quest.  It was a fun weekend and the staff at the San Francisco store were very nice.

IMG_7926.JPG

minifigs.jpg

• Like 8

Yesterday was a cake walk compared to Saturday. The line wasn't half as bad and I was able to go back in around 1:30pm after lunch and get a few more. It's ironic about the line because yesterday's promo was the most exclusive of all three. I guess not every one out there were low life reselling scum like me. :devil: The exclusive back printing is simple but very cool considering SF is my hometown. 

Lego Store 3.jpg

Lego Store 2.jpg

• Like 5

1 hour ago, oneknightr said:

Yesterday was a cake walk compared to Saturday. The line wasn't half as bad and I was able to go back in around 1:30pm after lunch and get a few more. It's ironic about the line because yesterday's promo was the most exclusive of all three. I guess not every one out there were low life reselling scum like me. :devil: The exclusive back printing is simple but very cool considering SF is my hometown. 

Lego Store 3.jpg

Lego Store 2.jpg

nice

• Like 1

11 hours ago, heat010 said:

Day 3 and it was a nice but tiring finale.  Went down with my family and got there around 2:30 and there was a 10 minute wait to get in.  Surprisingly there were minifigs available.  If we got there an hour later I would have imagined that they would have been gone.  These are not to be opened at all with individual numbering on the package and cool printing on the back of each minifigure.  We spent a ton, but we got gifts and sets that my child will open and build in a few years.  Here's a picture of my 3 day quest.  It was a fun weekend and the staff at the San Francisco store were very nice.

NICE! now lets see the pile of what you bought

Sorry, but all of the stuff is downstairs in storage.  Too much to keep upstairs, but from what I can remember:

Millenium Falcon, Ferris Wheel, Tie Advanced and A Wing, a small creator set, disney and DC duplo sets, 2 friends sets, LaFerrari, Flash vs Captain Cold.  It was a lot to lug, but we're pretty set.  Will wait for Disney Castle during Bricktober so I can get 700 VIP points.

1 hour ago, oneknightr said:

Lego Store 3.jpg

Lego Store 2.jpg

Care to help a fellow collector out with the figure 3 pack? I went to the Saturday opening as I had the morning off of work and was able to get my store set. 

Sunday with the traffic of a Sunday morning, later opening time, early afternoon Giants Game, and the fact I had to work in Cupertino early afternoon I couldn't make it up for the figures. Plus the way Saturday worked out with the chaos in the begining of line cutters from the BART station and food court just turned me off on risking it. Kinda bummed to hear it was easy to get the figures. Let me know if you can help. Thanks.