Need Help Valuing my Collection

X1Viper

Hi all, I am new to this site, and I've never sold Lego before, but I have a decent sized collection with minifigs and a rare set and I'd like to know what the community thinks it's worth. Also, should I sell them all together or sell the bulk separately? What's the best strategy? I was thinking all together for $1000 but could be way off in either direction. Also how much should I value the Yoda at? Let me know what you think, thank you! :D

Here's what I've got: 

Many retired sets, including the rare Star Wars Yoda, set #7194-1. Nothing newer than 2002 or so, some much older. Lots of Star Wars, aquanauts, police, firefighters, pirates, space shuttle, and lots of other random sets. Nothing in boxes. I have not picked this lot over for the "good pieces", everything was left in.

- 23 lbs of bricks – Pure Lego, mixed bricks, mostly clean, not sorted, no debris or trash or other types of crap. In overall good shape, a few damaged pieces but not many. Made up of many sets.

- The Yoda 7194-1 set. It’s in good condition, has all the pieces and the instructions, and is sorted into 5 bags. Does not come with original box.

- 133 minifigures, 23 of which are Star Wars, including R2D2, Luke, Obi Wan, two Chewbaccas, battle droids, Geonosians, etc. Sorted into two bags.

- 3 boat hulls, 2 base terrain sets, many flat boards.

The following is an incomplete list of some of the sets that are included in the mix, Yoda is sorted and bagged, the rest is mixed bulk:

7194-1: Yoda
7127-1: Imperial AT-ST

7140-1: X-Wing Fighter

7155-1: Trade Federation AAT

4478-1: Geonosian Fighter

7143-1: Jedi Starfighter

7203-1: Jedi Defense

6988-1: Alpha Centauri Outpost

6339-1: Shuttle Launch Pad

6195-1: Neptune Discovery Lab

6175-1: Crystal Explorer Sub
6270-1: Forbidden Island

6267-1: Lagoon Lock-up
1464-1: Pirate Lookout

6266-1: Cannon Cover

6773-1: Alpha Team Helicopter

6598-1: Metro PD Station

4021-1: Police Patrol

4020-1: Fire fighter Boat

6429-1: Blaze Responder

6075-1: Wolfpack Tower

6038-1: Wolfpack Renegades

0815162237a.jpg

http://www.brickpicker.com/bpms/lego_lot_price_calculator.cfm Found on the main page under Price Guide--> Lot Calculator. Once you've processed sets, make sure to select Used condition from the drop-down menu, or you'll mislead yourself. 

Your guesstimate of $1k is surprisingly close. However, using the calculator, that value is based off of individual sales of the sets on ebay, averaging them regardless of shipping differences; so already it's a guideline at best. Edit: (This also assumes the sets were complete including instructions; I don't see all the instructions in your pic, but I assume you have them since you know the set numbers.) You're then going to have to factor in approximately 15% selling fees if that's the platform you choose to sell on. Alternatively, if you're planning on selling locally, buyers typically expect a discounted rate over ebay prices. Even more so by selling the mixed bricks in the tub as a lot, since there's no way to prove the sets are complete to potential buyers, so the advertised list of "sets included" will always be taken with a big grain of salt... whether you're correct or not.

You'll have to weigh the value of the time it would take to inventory each set, against leaving them in a bulk bin and taking a substantial price cut compared to the calculator. 

Your best value will be earned by spending the time to inventory the sets like you've done with the Yoda. I would recommend first sorting the bin by colours, and maybe roughly by size for the common colours (I typically do a tiny bricks and normal bricks separation for white, grey, dark grey, and black when working a bulk lot purchase like this). Then using a tool like Brickstock or Bricklink, you can create lists of the sets' full inventories... then its a matter of ticking the boxes (or simply removing them from the lists) as you find the parts. Being able to sort these lists by colour is a massive time save over trying to just dig through a mixed tub like that. I expect I could part that bin out into that list of sets in about 12 hours of work. I feel I'm fairly proficient at this task, but I'm sure some Bricklink store owners could stomp that time through experience. 

Edited by Zelgazra
  • Like 1

Cool, thank you for the advice! Yeah, if $1k is close, and it's just going off the sets I KNOW I have, the total value must be a bit higher because there are sets in there I don't even know I have. But that's only if I sort them out and identify all of them. And I actually do not have any more instructions. And I'm sure a few of the sets are not complete.

Basically, I'm looking to only sell locally through craigslist, and I'm not going to do any more sorting. Don't have the time or patience to do all that, so I'll take the price hit. I had someone tell me the Yoda was only worth 200 max, but I saw on here it's 'used' value is at at least 262. So what should I value the Yoda at?

So, bottom line, what price do you think I should list the entire collection at on sites like Craigslist and OfferUp?