Abandoned FedEx truck

So, here's an odd story.

On my neighborhood's Facebook page, on Friday, someone posted a picture of a FedEx Ground truck.  They asked if anyone knew what was going on, as it had been sitting there for a few days, appearing to not have moved.

Of course, neighborhood drama and discussion ensued, with questions of "why doesn't someone call the Sheriff?" "Why doesn't someone call FedEx?"  "Why doesn't someone call the media?" It took a good day before someone actually DID anything other than suggest that someone do something.

Someone went and checked it out, and it was unlocked, and loaded with local packages for delivery.  That person locked the truck up.  The sheriff's did come out, and just drive by it (they didn't stop to check it out).

I'm not missing any packages.  I'm not on the page (I'm just hearing it about it from my neighbors).  This is just really weird....

Edit to add:

13592441_10154391916609165_2087740503508696177_n.jpg

Video of the inside

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Alpinemaps said:

Yep. And FedEx told the callers to call the Sheriff.

Now I get the "weird" label. You'd think FedEx would be interested in their truck and their driver, not to mention their customers' merchandise inside ....

Guest TabbyBoy

The driver probably just stopped to go to the toilet and died on the potty? Or... dropped something off in "Plain Packaging" to his favourite customer and died in an even more embarrassing position?

Have dealt with similar situations where drivers come to the end of their set of working hours and just leave the truck where it is. This was also a FedEx truck and official notifications to the company were met with similar attitude. I believe the company came a few days later to retrieve it. No word on driver's status. Hopefully fired!

Guest brickcrazyhouse

ok here's my guess. The driver knew he/she was going to be fired at the end of the work day, and thought F'em they can come get their truck.  

I am in the same county as the poster (but not in his area).  I'm actually glad to see it's full of packages.  Very often dummy trucks are used by the cartel to smuggle contraband here.  But since this does seem to be a legit Fedex truck, I don't think I would be able to do too much other than make sure it's locked (and call Fedex again).  Fedex telling the person to call law enforcement is odd.  I would assume a company like Fedex has GPS locaters on their vehicles and they know where it is.  

I'm also curious if that's how packages are normally stacked inside Fedex trucks.  It looks like it was driven hard and they are all over the place.  Might be a disgruntled driver who decided to quit without the two week notice.  

3 minutes ago, steelmelt said:

It looks like it was driven hard and they are all over the place.  Might be a disgruntled driver who decided to quit without the two week notice.  

BINGO. I think that, after delivering @Alpinemaps umpteenth delivery for the week and almost breaking his back with those heavy and large LEGO boxes, he said F-it I'll work somewhere else ....

Edited by Phil B

2 hours ago, labfreak7 said:

Wow. You guys have a sheriff?

LOL, yes, we have a sheriff.  I live in an unincorporated area of the county.  I'm not in a city, and have no city (only county) services.  So Highway Patrol and Sheriff for law enforcement, etc.

I stopped by the truck and snapped some photos.  Then I called it in.  Yes, I was on hold more or less for 20 minutes, in between giving information.  But it was basically a "file a complaint against the driver" and "we'll radio the station it's from, and have them come out and retrieve the vehicle."  smh, I don't know why that was so hard for my neighbors.

I'm kinda curious to know what the status, online, shows for those packages?  Out for delivery?

• Like 1

I am in the same county as the poster (but not in his area).  I'm actually glad to see it's full of packages.  Very often dummy trucks are used by the cartel to smuggle contraband here.  But since this does seem to be a legit Fedex truck, I don't think I would be able to do too much other than make sure it's locked (and call Fedex again).  Fedex telling the person to call law enforcement is odd.  I would assume a company like Fedex has GPS locaters on their vehicles and they know where it is.  

I'm also curious if that's how packages are normally stacked inside Fedex trucks.  It looks like it was driven hard and they are all over the place.  Might be a disgruntled driver who decided to quit without the two week notice.  

It may be a stolen truck and used by the cartels, and the Sheriff and FedEx don't want to get involved; so someone may need to call the FBI or DEA.

Guest brickcrazyhouse

oh here another guess. maybe ironbrick has been spending his time on a fedex forum trying convincing them to quit.