Cheese

Guest TabbyBoy

£21.99 @ Amazon UK (Current cheapest?)

£29.99 @ LEGO (not tagged)

£34.95 @ Harrods (LOL)

Edited by TabbyBoy

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I'm still gun-shy with this one.They don't move off of Target shelves, and every Target near me has a shelf full. I was waiting for more discounts or clearance...but I'm not sure that's going to happen. May be a sleeper...but no one gives two sh*t's about it right now...

• Like 3

Logic says that as this set was included in the 6 or so sets that got the "retiring soon" status in Canada first, it will retire first in north America then europe. So there should still be a delay of 1 / 2 months for it to retire in europe. 

I previously thought this set would do well due to very good build + exclusive figs + performing well at cinema. 

However, due to the set being highlighted of impending retirement for a few months + the set being on the radar of the qf  (reached 200 selling items on eBay at one point by QF and parter outers...), I'm questioning whether to buy any for investment.

One key point I've learnt is that once a set has been targeted by the quick flippers, it won't reach that high post retirment. This set could buck the trend, but in Europe even if this sets does do well, I personally see the ceiling at 1.5/2 x RRP, and that woil be possibly 1 year after the quick flippers have exhausted their stash.

• Like 2

Two other Target exclusives...The Zombies and The Orc Forge. The Zombies was very under the radar and had a very short run. Huge success if you targeted or lucked into this set. The Orc Forge was all the rage back in the day. Many were stockpiling at RRP since it wasn't discounted much, myself included. Dr. Strange seems to fall somewhere in the middle. Which way will it go?

I never bought any Zombies. It was never discounted and then disappeared before I knew it. I had approximately thirty Orc Forges, mainly bought on the hype from BP and the success of the Zombies. I'm down to six, making a little on each one. I'm going with twenty Dr. Strange, just in case. All bought this past week during the current sale at 24% off after red card. 

• Like 4

Weird situation with this set in Canada.

It was a Target exclusive... but we have no more Targets to source from! It was only available at LEGO.ca and has never appeared on any retailer shelves in Canada from what I know of. So there will be a great deal of Canadian buyers who have missed/will miss out on this set and I'm banking on a niche shortage in the after market up here.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, lobo1969 said:

Weird situation with this set in Canada.

It was a Target exclusive... but we have no more Targets to source from! It was only available at LEGO.ca and has never appeared on any retailer shelves in Canada from what I know of. So there will be a great deal of Canadian buyers who have missed/will miss out on this set and I'm banking on a niche shortage in the after market up here.

It was available at TRU for a few months. Never saw it at mine again after they sold through before Christmas so got mine at Lego's website

Two other Target exclusives...The Zombies and The Orc Forge. The Zombies was very under the radar and had a very short run. Huge success if you targeted or lucked into this set. The Orc Forge was all the rage back in the day. Many were stockpiling at RRP since it wasn't discounted much, myself included. Dr. Strange seems to fall somewhere in the middle. Which way will it go?
I never bought any Zombies. It was never discounted and then disappeared before I knew it. I had approximately thirty Orc Forges, mainly bought on the hype from BP and the success of the Zombies. I'm down to six, making a little on each one. I'm going with twenty Dr. Strange, just in case. All bought this past week during the current sale at 24% off after red card. 

Org Forge sold at a good and brief clip at $96 FBA. Hoarders then got greedy and shipped their stock in. The price never recovered. I sold half of them then and then had to let the price rebound to close to $90 before selling the remaining.

7 hours ago, Mhd747 said:

Logic says that as this set was included in the 6 or so sets that got the "retiring soon" status in Canada first, it will retire first in north America then europe. So there should still be a delay of 1 / 2 months for it to retire in europe. 

I previously thought this set would do well due to very good build + exclusive figs + performing well at cinema. 

However, due to the set being highlighted of impending retirement for a few months + the set being on the radar of the qf  (reached 200 selling items on eBay at one point by QF and parter outers...), I'm questioning whether to buy any for investment.

One key point I've learnt is that once a set has been targeted by the quick flippers, it won't reach that high post retirment. This set could buck the trend, but in Europe even if this sets does do well, I personally see the ceiling at 1.5/2 x RRP, and that woil be possibly 1 year after the quick flippers have exhausted their stash.

Remember to add into the mix the  recent 45% discount runs at Amazon.es.

Guest TabbyBoy

I think it'll be lucky to reach 100% RRP after fees. There's been too much talk about this set for it to be rare in the future. Buyers are no longer stupid, they now mostly buy at RRP when available rather than get fleeced by resellers. I passed on these at 50% off and glad I did ;-)

11 hours ago, terrymc4677 said:

Out of respect for other BP's for that don't know better, you are hand picking a few scenario's(which is fine).  Just please disclose for the hoard.  Over the years Target, Walmart, & Toys R Us have had many exclusives for nearly every theme.  This nothing new.  Some last for 6 months, some last for 3 years.  Each is its own scenario, hard to compare each one.   Carry on

• Like 1