60132 - Service Station

TheOrcKing

On 26-5-2016 at 6:49 PM, redghostx said:

My largest complaint about this set is that it isn't nearly as impressive as the 6397 set that was released almost 25 years ago.  I guess that Lego hasn't made significant strides in gas stations in that time.

This type of set really needs a baseplate imo. Especially for such a high retail price.

And no car wash? That was one of the nicest play features on the old service stations.

I understand that some pieces are more expensive, and the weight argument, but I just don't see $90 here. I would want more of a station for that. Really I would need 3 to make a decent sized station with a few pumps and repair  shop out back. I would trade the vehicles and a more impressive station. I don't see why they include 3 vehicles, when most collectors have tons of little cars and similar ones can be purchased separately.

37 minutes ago, weitzel78 said:

I don't see why they include 3 vehicles, when most collectors have tons of little cars and similar ones can be purchased separately.

Hint: this is made for kids, many of whom only receive LEGO 1-2 times a year.

3 minutes ago, Will 4 said:

I would love to know why somebody takes a bicycle to a petrol (gas) station.

I used to go there to pump the tires. They also did minor repairs. Also gas stations sell refreshments.

Edited by inversion
  • Like 2

The Euro prices of the summer sets are inflated in most cases and with little justification. Seems TLG have revised their pricing strategy upwards.I mean 100 euros for an X Wing when 9493 cost max 75 in the most expensive countries is a bit much but when non licensed sets are now all above 10 cents a piece it seems to be a commercia decision.

1 hour ago, Val-E said:

The Euro prices of the summer sets are inflated in most cases and with little justification. Seems TLG have revised their pricing strategy upwards.I mean 100 euros for an X Wing when 9493 cost max 75 in the most expensive countries is a bit much but when non licensed sets are now all above 10 cents a piece it seems to be a commercia decision.

TLG thinks If people are stupid enough to pay those prices were stupid enough to charge them those prices

4 hours ago, Val-E said:

It is a commercial decision. LEGO is able to do this because the company is doing too well relatively to its competitors. It means they are creating enough value so people still buy it with these prices. 

The underlying decisions might be that people who would be deterred due to the price increase actually mostly don't buy sets at RRP and are waiting for discounts. If the wholesale price is also getting an increase then even discount prices will be higher. Plus this is another way to combat capacity constraints.

For investors this is good. The product is becoming more exclusive and a toy of the affluent. 

• Like 1

I will not be picking one up until it goes on sale. Maybe 50-60? I passed on a dented box service station for $80 at the Lego store yesterday.

At least if TLG hikes it's prices, it could make buying retired sets more attractive and boost the secondary market.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...