Deal - what could go wrong?

Ma-gic

Fellow BP,

I would like to hear some thoughts and perhaps pointing out my oversights. My gut feel it is a scam.

I negotiated a deal on two retired sets for about €600 on the local Dutch eBay site. Originally I meant to go and pick up but due to unforeseen circumstances I could not make it. The drive is about 3 hrs each way as items are in North of the country - I do think it is worth it as it involves large sum.

Seller only been on site for 1 week. I did reverse image search and came up with no similar images. Seller sent me few picture of the item with his name and today date. Everything looks fine... I then manage to find out by doing a google search (via cache) that a similar item (same photo) was listed and with the same phone number 2 months ago. The previous seller was no longer selling. Adding to this, seller provided his house address (can't confirm whether it is genuine). So, seller offered to send as I struck a deal to buy both and there have been few inquiries to offer collect right away but only for 1 item. Seller has motivation (or scam?) to sell both together. Seller also offered to take 1/4 of the amount in order to send the items and I pay up the remaining after receiving the items - with the condition that I provide him my driving license. Btw, I spoke to seller few times.

What could go wrong? What did I missed?

If your gut feeling tells you something is wrong: pick it up.

And never provide them with copies of your indentity papers like passport or drivers license. They will use those to commit fraud. Then they'll have your back account number, your home adress and a copy of your drivers license. Very bad idea.

If I was in your place, I would drive up there. I would inspect and collect. Not to scare you but people can do worse thing with your ID these days as the earlier post mentioned.

I know its a chore, but if its a big amount and the sets are exclusive, I would invest the time in going and inspecting them in person before paying any money. Worst come to worse at least you enjoyed a trip and visited the north side rather than out of 1/4th amount.

Yes I planned all along to drive up on Saturday or even put a small deposit  (€50) for the seller to hold the set - as I'm unavailable tomorrow.

Seller then start pushing he received a lot of enquiries and folks willing to pick up right away. That again made me feel something is amiss.