looking for a course of action

kman223

Question

So looks like I over did it a bit. I kept picking up bulk lots when I found good deals on them. I filling. Intended on sorting them when I bought them. We recently moved and that's when I realized what I had.  now my question is, what do I do? Either sort it bit by bit, or start selling it Off bit by bit and hope I break even?  what. Would you do?

20160319_204717_resized.jpg

6 answers to this question

I'd just start with a pile sorting for the minifigures first. It'll give you an idea of what you have for sets. You never know what you'll come across. I've found some nice unexpected gems. I've been starting to keep a note book to help with organizing. While you're searching keep an eye out for specialty parts too. While doing this always sort out the non Lego when you see it. I have about 20+lbs of MegaBloks and other crap in my crap bin. By the looks of it you're like me and a few others on BP that can't stop buying "deals" when you find them. Just my 2 cents.

EDIT: If you do start to piece sets together visit here to brag some.

Edited by MarleyMoose

What's your goal?  and how much time do you have to achieve it?

Like Marley says, digging through it to find the gems can be fun.  And, once you know what unique pieces you have, it does make it easier to reconstitute older sets.   This can be fun, too, if you have time to spare.  If you don't have time or you aren't enjoying the work, dumping it in 1-2 lb bulk lots on ebay may be the way to go.

• Like 1

that looks like a ton of work to me. I just finished initial sort of much less than that, and I'm still looking at a lot of work ahead of me. I'd dig out the minifigures since that's where you're most likely to make back money quicker. I really don't have great advice for you since you dug a huge hole there. Make a plan, If you want out from under the stuff the quickest, be prepared to take a loss. Your best bet to recoup the most is to do a crapton of work.

• Like 1

Wow, that is a huge pile.  Do you know what you paid for it in total?  That can help drive your sale strategy.

I recently about a large lot of bulk off craigslist.  I knew a few sets were mostly in there.  I did the work of sorting out all non-Lego, and at the same time sorted parts by color and also put "special" pieces in a pile to help identify what other sets might be in there.  Then I inventoried some key sets and logged their missing parts.

After all that, I determined that the rest of the work and expense to replace parts wasn't for me.  I returned to craigslist to sell it - but I had added value.  I was able to list about 10 sets present, offer to send .pdf files of the known missing parts, and advertise everything sorted by color and show photos of the minifigs present that weren't part of sets.

In the end, I'd purchased a bulk lot for $60, put in maybe 15 hours of work, and sold it all for $400.  I was happy to get rid of the remaining work and also about collecing a nice profit.  And the guy who bought it was happy to get the documentation and some Lego to sort in front of his TV.

Point is, if you can put in a bit of work to communicate what's likely there, it'll help your resale value.  Would you rather buy a huge pile of Lego, or a huge pile of Lego where you can see a Hogwarts, a Winter Toy Shop, etc, etc, etc. 

• Like 1