My local Smyths

I've picked up a few from my local Smyths since they officially retired. In fact Smyths seem to have a lot of retired set's on shelves because they seem reluctant to discount any sets until they are only available in 1 store ( like the £150 Sandcrawler no one could find)

Keep hoping they'll discount the retired technic cargo plane they have huge stock of. But they just seem determined to keep old sets on the shelves.  I've never seen a single set discounted by 50% clearance deals the website suggests they do at end of line

9 minutes ago, Fenix_2k1 said:

I've picked up a few from my local Smyths since they officially retired. In fact Smyths seem to have a lot of retired set's on shelves because they seem reluctant to discount any sets until they are only available in 1 store ( like the £150 Sandcrawler no one could find)

Keep hoping they'll discount the retired technic cargo plane they have huge stock of. But they just seem determined to keep old sets on the shelves.  I've never seen a single set discounted by 50% clearance deals the website suggests they do at end of line

They do end of line clearance deals the whole time, you just have to be quick and sometimes the sets aren't even marked down on the shelves. 

1 minute ago, Sprocket77 said:

They do end of line clearance deals the whole time, you just have to be quick and sometimes the sets aren't even marked down on the shelves. 

I can believe that in Ireland because you always seem to have stock long after all Smyths mainland UK has run out. 

3 minutes ago, Fenix_2k1 said:

I can believe that in Ireland because you always seem to have stock long after all Smyths mainland UK has run out. 

No, UK too, I remember when I was picking up Lonely Mountains and Benny's Spaceships for €50 last September, the guys on the forum here were getting them for £50 in the UK too. You obviously have to pay the sterling tax, it's a bit like the being Dutch Lego tax.

I got Sea Cows for €150 which were marked as €220 on the shelves, so I would believe the Sandcrawlers for £150.

Obviously being Irish is great too :D

Edited by Sprocket77
Had to add Irish comment

4 minutes ago, Fenix_2k1 said:

I have a Smyths within 2 mins of my office so keep an eye on the site and regularly nip over at lunchtimes to check but seen no discounts as yet. I'll keep trying though.All I've noticed so far is the £10 Tumbler tax

Depends on time of year too, not going to be a lot of it at the moment, because their shelves have been restocked heavily after the Christmas mayhem and there's not a whole lot of sets disappearing yet.

2 minutes ago, Fenix_2k1 said:

I'm just surprised that sets heavily discounted by most other retailers haven't dropped much at all in Smyths. Ie Star Wars Flash Speeders and Naboo Star Fighters that seemed to be in fire sales in Jan.

Not sure what your local Smyths was like in January, but mine looked like Taz had done a few runs up and down the aisles and there was no stock left. The only item I'm surprised they haven't discounted is Jokerland, because after Christmas they were filling every shelf space with one Jokerland to fill the space. That set is a turd, not only is it a turd, but it's a turd on fire on your door step.

I have noticed, as mentioned above, prices discounted online but not on the shelves. Calling this to the attention of the cashier is usually enough to sort that, they normally check their site to be sure, but never any hassle. Apart from the 20% off sale, Smyths can be pretty hit and miss, Generally more Miss than hit though. I did score the BSSS and LM at €50 and £50 but not a whole lot else.

• 1 month later...
  • 7 months later...