What's up? from The Big Easy

Hi, found this site a few weeks ago after reading some story about how it's easy to make money with Legos.  I've never really played with them, I actually think they're stupid, but if I can make some extra money from them it doesn't matter what I think.  My name is Mike, but my friends call me Zod cause I look like Terence Stamp in Superman II.  Some of my favorite movies are anything Star Trek, 12 Monkeys, and Stargate.  TV shows I like are The Following, Ghost Hunters and How I Met Your Mother.   Favorite group is Big Tymers - they're from New Orleans!  Enough about me, my question is what should I buy?  Like I said, I don't like Legos so they're all the same to me.  Is there a feature where I can say how much I have to spend, how long until I want to sell them, how much risk I'm comfortable with, etc and then it gives me a list of what to buy?  Thanks and I look forward to buying and selling lots of Legos!

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, KShine said:

Welcome Zod - I am not so sure that your introduction ("I don't like Legos, I think the're stupid") will be taken very well, but best of luck.

Maybe stupid was too strong, but it doesn't matter if I like them or not, right?  I don't like Magic, Pokemon, Funkos, etc and I still make money from selling them.  

1 hour ago, Kneel_Before_Zod said:

Enough about me, my question is what should I buy?  Like I said, I don't like Legos so they're all the same to me.

One of the biggest pieces of advice you'll see around here is to be mentally/emotionally/physically invested in the product you're selling. Maybe with Funkos, Magic, Pokemon you don't really need to like or know the product... but with Lego this is certainly not the case. Market research is key to succeeding in this reseller market. Not all Lego is created equally. You have to know (or have a good gut feeling) about the popularity of one set versus another, and use that to your advantage. Stocking up on a bunch of stinkers that nobody wants to buy while they're on the shelves is not going to earn you "easy money" [the articles are all wrong, none of this is easy by any sense of the word besides perhaps the buying part, and even then finding the right sets and the right discount rates is tricky]. Picking the right sets, purchasing them at the right times, and holding them until the opportune time [their peak] to resell them is how you make great gains in the Lego business. Unwillingness to know or learn the product and the market you're selling that product to is a recipe for failure. 

You said you've been around for a couple of weeks. I can tell you with certainty that you haven't read enough on the forums yet. Two weeks simply isn't enough time to get through all the key pieces of information about this business. Keep the research up. You may quickly decide selling Lego is not for you, and sticking to the Funko's might be the better use of your cash flow. Not trying to discourage you outright, but yea.... do your research mate. This isn't easy money, especially when folks like yourself jump into the fold by the 10s every day....increased competition ramping up drastically due to all these news articles about 'Lego is better than Gold'. Be aware of this as well. :)

• Like 3

Welcome Zod.  Just watch out - people 'round these parts don't like the term "Legos."  It's supposed to be LEGO.  But otherwise, it's all.

Read read read.  And ask around.  Take a look at the threads.

Since you're not too familiar with the product, let me ask you this - beyond the money aspect, what's the draw?  Is there anything in specific that might be of interest or something that you've heard of?  Star Wars, for example?

• Like 1

lol....  i love the variety of nuts on this site...(just look at the posts between zod's and mine)  -it really is a mixed bag which is what life is all about.....  i also love zod's opener....    can't blame the dude for getting to the point, I too am not the biggest fan of legoS, yet here I am returning every day and trying to log in some knowledge with regards to polymers and their relationship to profits in the future!     lol....  love it!     Peace !    PP

7 minutes ago, plastic passion said:

lol....  i love the variety of nuts on this site...(just look at the posts between zod's and mine)  -it really is a mixed bag which is what life is all about.....  i also love zod's opener....    can't blame the dude for getting to the point, I too am not the biggest fan of legoS, yet here I am returning every day and trying to log in some knowledge with regards to polymers and their relationship to profits in the future!     lol....  love it!     Peace !    PP

See, there's the big difference. You said that you come back every day to read more. Someone popping up saying, "I care nothing about this stuff, just give me your hard earned knowledge because I am following the flavor of the week." gets as much valuable information as they invest their time in. He mentions Funko Pop, Magic and Pokémon. It's pretty obvious that he chases the easy dollar with the fast turnover. Hell, Magic and Pokémon have their rarity already known the moment you open them.

• Like 4

I completely ^^^ agree....   - and I get it....  it just amazes me how different people are....   lots of nuts.... lots of different shells.....   - I guess its my polite way of saying some folks have NFC  (don't know if thats a regular lego acronym, but I am sure you can figure it out... lol)        I am not knocking anyone, I just get a kick out anything that makes me laugh and this particular thread did just that.     

13 hours ago, Phil B said:

Oh and don't forget ... interest on a credit card is only 20%, and LEGO profits are easily 100-200% within 6 months, so raise your limits and buy as much as you can find. UHaul trucks are pretty cheap to rent.

Better than gold my friend.

Better. . . . Than . . . . Gold

Edited by KShine

19 hours ago, Kneel_Before_Zod said:

Hi, found this site a few weeks ago after reading some story about how it's easy to make money with Legos.  I've never really played with them, I actually think they're stupid, but if I can make some extra money from them it doesn't matter what I think.  My name is Mike, but my friends call me Zod cause I look like Terence Stamp in Superman II.  Some of my favorite movies are anything Star Trek, 12 Monkeys, and Stargate.  TV shows I like are The Following, Ghost Hunters and How I Met Your Mother.   Favorite group is Big Tymers - they're from New Orleans!  Enough about me, my question is what should I buy?  Like I said, I don't like Legos so they're all the same to me.  Is there a feature where I can say how much I have to spend, how long until I want to sell them, how much risk I'm comfortable with, etc and then it gives me a list of what to buy?  Thanks and I look forward to buying and selling lots of Legos!

Lolol guys perhaps I've internet'ed for too long here in my youth but this guy is an obvious troll. Think about it: If you were going to create an alternate account for the sake of messing with everybody and getting some chuckles, doesn't this OP hit on all the most "hilarious" items on the *rolls eyes* checklist? It's not a bad bit for a few laughs if you're aware it's a joke, but for anybody who's not... now you know.

• Like 1

If I'm not mistaken, his first post was about how he and his wife both ordered Tumblers during the brief Amazon BLIP a few days ago. Then this intro, then his Exo Suit post. I for one believe he's not a troll, but he might do better just reading along instead of actively posting about his opinion on the hobby. I can only assume there are many others out there who do just the same.

If I'm not mistaken, his first post was about how he and his wife both ordered Tumblers during the brief Amazon BLIP a few days ago. Then this intro, then his Exo Suit post. I for one believe he's not a troll, but he might do better just reading along instead of actively posting about his opinion on the hobby. I can only assume there are many others out there who do just the same.

Everyone's first post now is "I just made my first Lego purchase, a Tumbler" or two or 20...

• Like 4