Used Legos

Roman Around

Question

17 answers to this question

3 hours ago, Empirecinema2u.com said:

Just wondering how much percentage of loss there is on used/built sets? Of course in mint condition......Lets say sets in the areas of UCS Star Wars, Tumbler, Creator Builds...

What? Do you mean how much less is a used/built set worth rather than a new one? You've looked at the price guide right? Punched in a set like 10212 or 10220 or 10185 or .... and compared them right?

Listen, I know your new at this and no question is a dumb question, but sometimes it seems like you haven't even TRIED to answer the question before posing it. But since I don't really know for sure, here's an answer that is my opinion only for those big baddies.

What are the things that equate to less difference?

1. Rarity - if a set is rare, there is less difference.
2. Cool factor (how desirable is the set) - if a set is desired, there is less difference whether rare or not.

What are the things that equate a larger difference?

1. Boxes .. some collectors love pristine boxes, so a new set OR used set with mint box vs one with no box is worth more.
2. Stickers .. sets with lots of stickers will be worth more new in the box since there is always a risk that the stickers weren't place nicely or are starting to age and peel (note: do some research on this if you haven't already).

If you want to calculate the difference, you need to jump into the Price Guide (http://www.brickpicker.com/bpms/index.cfm) here on BrickPicker or check out Bricklink's price guide of new vs used. Be careful though, there is much more variation in what USED means vs what NEW means. The only way to really sort it out is to manually dig through the hundreds of listings on eBay and Bricklink to see what sellers are selling as USED.

Enjoy and I hope you have plenty of time on your hands.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, gregpj said:

What? Do you mean how much less is a used/built set worth rather than a new one? You've looked at the price guide right? Punched in a set like 10212 or 10220 or 10185 or .... and compared them right?

Listen, I know your new at this and no question is a dumb question, but sometimes it seems like you haven't even TRIED to answer the question before posing it. But since I don't really know for sure, here's an answer that is my opinion only for those big baddies.

What are the things that equate to less difference?

1. Rarity - if a set is rare, there is less difference.
2. Cool factor (how desirable is the set) - if a set is desired, there is less difference whether rare or not.

What are the things that equate a larger difference?

1. Boxes .. some collectors love pristine boxes, so a new set OR used set with mint box vs one with no box is worth more.
2. Stickers .. sets with lots of stickers will be worth more new in the box since there is always a risk that the stickers weren't place nicely or are starting to age and peel (note: do some research on this if you haven't already).

If you want to calculate the difference, you need to jump into the Price Guide (http://www.brickpicker.com/bpms/index.cfm) here on BrickPicker or check out Bricklink's price guide of new vs used. Be careful though, there is much more variation in what USED means vs what NEW means. The only way to really sort it out is to manually dig through the hundreds of listings on eBay and Bricklink to see what sellers are selling as USED.

Enjoy and I hope you have plenty of time on your hands.

Thanks bud.....and yes I'm realizing more and more how dumb my questions are becoming....lol. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Empirecinema2u.com said:

Thanks bud.....and yes I'm realizing more and more how dumb my questions are becoming....lol. 

I honestly mean no question is a dumb question, just trying to steer you in a certain direction. Buying is only a small fraction of the process.... there is so much to learn if you truly want to be successful at this this. There is even more to learn if you want to enjoy yourself and make some money doing it.

8 minutes ago, gregpj said:

I honestly mean no question is a dumb question, just trying to steer you in a certain direction. Buying is only a small fraction of the process.... there is so much to learn if you truly want to be successful at this this. There is even more to learn if you want to enjoy yourself and make some money doing it.

And I greatly do appreciate it.....As of now I have some time on my hands.....come May I'm lucky if I ll have time to look at a computer....lol

Greg pretty much answered this question, but i'll throw in my personal experience with used sets.

I purchase a lot of UCS and "big" sets that i like to display. However there is limited display room and limited storage space. So every so often i sell off some older stuff to make room (and money) for the new.

I've found that on a lot of my UCS sets; i get very close to retail (or new market value if the set is retired). However the smaller sets usually net a fair bit lower than retail/new market value price, all depends on some of the factors Greg outlined though as well.

Bottom line: build what you want to build knowing in a few years time you will likely break even or even profit off of it if you ever want to sell.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Sandwraithx157 said:

Greg pretty much answered this question, but i'll throw in my personal experience with used sets.

I purchase a lot of UCS and "big" sets that i like to display. However there is limited display room and limited storage space. So every so often i sell off some older stuff to make room (and money) for the new.

I've found that on a lot of my UCS sets; i get very close to retail (or new market value if the set is retired). However the smaller sets usually net a fair bit lower than retail/new market value price, all depends on some of the factors Greg outlined though as well.

Bottom line: build what you want to build knowing in a few years time you will likely break even or even profit off of it if you ever want to sell.

Thanks Sand , I appreciate the heads up!! I love building the sets with the kids, the look in there lil eyes when its complete is priceless...lol

I have just bought my first SW UCS set, A 75059. And  work colleague cannot believe that I am going to store it and not build it. Arguably he has a small point. The ebay used price is very close to the UK RRP. But every single set varies.

And arguably the difference gets greater the further past EOL you get.