Build Log: Jurassic Park T-Rex Paddock Moc

Sandwraith

42 minutes ago, TheOrcKing said:

Maybe have the lawyer posed on the road in a way so he appears to be running towards where the lavatory would be. "Well, when ya gotta go....ya gotta go...."

Ooooh I like this idea! Will have to browse minifigs parts and possibly make him. Only have parts on order for the 4 figs mentioned earlier.

Got around to putting the minifigs together. Overall fairly happy with what i was able to make given how difficult some of these characters are to make with LEGO's current parts inventory.

They aren't perfect, but i think at least for Lex/Alan/Ian they are pretty recognizable. Didn't plan on making Muldoon, but i had this custom shotgun that looked just like his from the film and found enough parts to make him somewhat believable. He doesn't fit into this scene however, but maybe i'll do something fun with him and a Raptor in the bushes...

Not happy with:

Tim in general, i can't find a good torso piece. 

Ian's headpiece isn't "cool" enough, but i had trouble finding a flesh-tone face with cool sunglasses.

Front and back of Alan's shirt has writing on it, but it's not very visible from the front.

Lex's neck is yellow, but it doesn't stand out too much.

Thanks to @TheOrcKing 's suggestion, i will probably make a lawyer figure, but do not currently have the pieces as finding a tan suit is sort of hard. Professor Lupin has a great one so i might have to go that route.

If anyone has any suggestions for better pieces just let me know!

IMG_5744.thumb.JPG.c7e23f92b18452bad9a96

IMG_5745.thumb.JPG.26d8c4216d63f019e2f57

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Sandwraithx157 said:

Thanks to @TheOrcKing 's suggestion, i will probably make a lawyer figure, but do not currently have the pieces as finding a tan suit is sort of hard. Professor Lupin has a great one so i might have to go that route.

If anyone has any suggestions for better pieces just let me know!

Sandwraith,

You maybe able to use the Aldrich Killian minifig from the Iron Man #76006 set for your lawyer. He has a tan suit with a dark blue shirt (no tie though)...that might work. it is also pretty cheap on Bricklink.

Edited by Kevink24

36 minutes ago, Kevink24 said:

Sandwraith,

You maybe able to use the Aldrich Killian minifig from the Iron Man #76006 set for your lawyer. He has a tan suit with a dark blue shirt (no tie though)...that might work. it is also pretty cheap on Bricklink.

It was available from the Build a minifigure bins at LEGO Shop for a little while with Yellow hands I believe. I might have a couple extras due to that.

1 hour ago, Kevink24 said:

Sandwraith,

34 minutes ago, thoroakenfelder said:

It was available from the Build a minifigure bins at LEGO Shop for a little while with Yellow hands I believe. I might have a couple extras due to that.

Not bad! thanks for pointing it out, but this torso seems a bit more "business casual" and i think the tie is a must for this character.

There's also a grey suit that Indiana Jones has which isn't the correct colour, but matches a tad better than Lupin's.

Gennaro-Coupon-Day.png.a7c7d6f35e638ec89

973px172c01.jpg?0

There is also this one - if you really want a tan colored suit (Tan Torso Studios Suit Jacket with Vest and Red Tie Pattern part #973px172c01) ....from 2002, but has the vest and a red tie.

973pb0291c01.jpg?0

Or this one (Torso Spider-Man Suit with Checkered Shirt and Striped Tie Pattern part #973pb0291c01). Shirt and tie look better with this one in comparison to the movie.

Edited by Kevink24
  • Like 1

Pretty much finished up the fences, just missing a couple axles to connect them.

Not sure i'll keep the yellow 1x4 caution tiles on the bottom on each fence, but i do think i need to add a bit of detail to the foundation, maybe just tile it. Also played around a bit with having 1 fence with some of the coils broken, also unsure if i like it or not, but i think the idea is good as it breaks up the monotony of the fences a bit.

To connect the angled fence to the vertical one; i did have to break the rules by manually cutting some wand pieces down to fit. Axles did not align properly so i needed something i could bend easily. Result looks good though and doesn't appear to be "illegal" from looking at it :P

I still can't get the road started as the Bricklink order i made that included the monorail tracks, did not actually include them :mad: so i need to wait for the seller to ship them out again. Still need the pieces for the Goat enclosure, T-Rex sign, couple foliage bits, and need to decide on the Lawyers pieces. Otherwise it's getting close to finished! I have not put all the pieces together yet to see how it looks, waiting until i have every piece i need to get the full effect of it.

18 hours ago, Kevink24 said:

973pb0291c01.jpg?0

Or this one (Torso Spider-Man Suit with Checkered Shirt and Striped Tie Pattern part #973pb0291c01). Shirt and tie look better with this one in comparison to the movie.

I like this one! Actually last night looking at the MOC, i realized the lawyer in full Tan would blend in too well to the Tan baseplates, so i decided to probably go for a light grey. And this is a cheaper alternative to getting the Indiana Jones figure.

IMG_5746.thumb.JPG.f122799c19fbf276448f5

IMG_5747.thumb.JPG.7ba7981ca4cb67a20bd6c

IMG_5748.thumb.JPG.0d661c701f6d71518e840

IMG_5749.thumb.JPG.88fed261541d42c2e1113

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, Sandwraithx157 said:

To connect the angled fence to the vertical one; i did have to break the rules by manually cutting some wand pieces down to fit. Axles did not align properly so i needed something i could bend easily. Result looks good though and doesn't appear to be "illegal" from looking at it :P

Looking good!  Did you try to use Rigid hoses instead of the Bar pieces?  Can cut to Length and is legal.

41 minutes ago, thoroakenfelder said:

Are you going to have him wearing shorts? I thought he had shorts on in that part of the movie.

In a perfect world yes, but i think there are very few flesh-tone legs with shorts (if any at all) Lots of Yellow toned ones, but i don't personally know of any flesh-tones shorts that would work.

7 minutes ago, Sandwraithx157 said:

In a perfect world yes, but i think there are very few flesh-tone legs with shorts (if any at all) Lots of Yellow toned ones, but i don't personally know of any flesh-tones shorts that would work.

Oh yeah. I forgot about that. I was thinking of Simpsons legs, but unless Gennaro was very jaundiced, it wouldn't work.

Little details such as the right color business suit or shorts with flesh tone legs are an inevitable annoyance in trying to recreate or fully realize an idea however I would not worry about it here. In the original "running to the can" scene, he was also missing his jacket and I do not recall any minifigure torso with just a shirt and tie.

Still waiting on the few parts i need to finish this up. So for the time being I've just been playing around with the Paddock interior. Moving plants around, adding plants, removing plants. And adding in fun little scenes/items. I've also finished the Goat enclosure.

I don't have room for the washroom as previously discussed, but i decided to add a little Restroom sign that the Lawyer will be running to :D

IMG_5757.thumb.JPG.76939137d192d8fe7dc9a

IMG_5759.thumb.JPG.4baf1fdd3490dbd1d0f62

IMG_5758.thumb.JPG.e6c4fba0d0505a90bd0c2

Clever girl.....

IMG_5761.thumb.JPG.1e618169e2b5dc5861e5d

IMG_5760.thumb.JPG.99c53560cef29884e7339

Just about finished. Waiting on track pieces, Lawyer pieces, T-Rex Paddock sign parts, and a couple plants to finish it up.

• Like 6

All parts have arrived!

Just some final tweaks to go and then putting all the builds together and throwing it in the display case. Until i get those pictures here are a few of what i did last night.

Firstly here is the Lawyer figure which i think looks pretty decent given the difficulties. I know he doesn't have his suitcase in this scene, but it just helps identify him more. The little T-Rex sign i think looks as good as it can in this scale. 

IMG_5767.thumb.JPG.041c64992c57995f43119

I also changed the colour of the Bathroom sign to be all white just to make it look nicer.

IMG_5768.thumb.JPG.737b73dcf09d8d4f9eacf

Monorail tracks came! I did have to cut one curved piece down with a dremel as i would never be able to make it work perfectly without doing so. Sadly the curved pieces do not come in bluish grey, so i may end up swapping the stright pieces for old grey if it bothers me too much.

IMG_5769.thumb.JPG.4bd9fe5c27239fdcf5566

And i added some random bones around the goat :3

IMG_5770.thumb.JPG.b6232fe653c2011744883

And for anyone wondering; the exposed Duplo is covered up when the fences go in. Just saves me on some good parts to not cover them up.

My next post will likely be the fully complete model, so make sure to check back soon! ;)

• Like 4