Best way to match up part inventory vs. wish list?

Poly 30286

Question

I'm sure there's already an answer, but I don't know where to look.

I have decided to Frankenstein my very own Green Grocer 10185. I am curious to know if there is a way to cross reference the inventory of a specific set vs. the pieces on my wish list. For example, I have a 10197 Creative Tower. I would like to use a function to find which pieces I should pull out to put towards my project. Is there a mechanism for this already? Via Bricklink or elsewhere? Please advise. Thanks!

5 answers to this question

There is a (now hidden but still available) feature of Rebrickable where you can compare the parts lists of multiple sets to one specific set that you want to build without having to load up a set/parts inventory first.

For example, if you want build the Taj Mahal and have access to a lot of Architecture sets, some of them have a lot of the needed pieces in quantity, specifically the 21015 Leaning Tower of Pisa (66% match, get 2), 21004 Guggenheim Museum (68% match) and 21050 Architecture Studio (56% match). Those 4 sets alone have about 1260 (21%) of the pieces you need.

How did I find this out? I simply used a customized Rebrickable URL and put in various Architecture set #'s to see how many shared pieces matched.

http://rebrickable.com/build_set_parts?s=10189-1&setlist=1&partlist=1&s1=21004-1&s2=21015-1&s3=21050-1&s4=21015-1&c=2&ignore_print=1&ignore_mold=1&ignore_alt=1&ignore_minifig=1&ignore_nonlego=1

You can replace any of the set #'s listed in the URL with the ones that you want to find out about.

If you already have a set/parts list in Rebrickable and you want to exclude them from the comparison, simply set setlist=0 and partlist=0 in the URL.

Rebrickable used to make this very easy to do with a nice interface to enter set #'s. No idea why they disabled this when they updated the website a while ago.

Edited by grackleflint
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, grackleflint said:

There is a (now hidden but still available) feature of Rebrickable where you can compare the parts lists of multiple sets to one specific set that you want to build without having to load up a set/parts inventory first.

For example, if you want build the Taj Mahal and have access to a lot of Architecture sets, some of them have a lot of the needed pieces in quantity, specifically the 21015 Leaning Tower of Pisa (66% match, get 2), 21004 Guggenheim Museum (68% match) and 21050 Architecture Studio (56% match). Those 4 sets alone have about 1260 (21%) of the pieces you need.

How did I find this out? I simply used a customized Rebrickable URL and put in various Architecture set #'s to see how many shared pieces matched.

http://rebrickable.com/build_set_parts?s=10189-1&setlist=1&partlist=1&s1=21004-1&s2=21015-1&s3=21050-1&s4=21015-1&c=2&ignore_print=1&ignore_mold=1&ignore_alt=1&ignore_minifig=1&ignore_nonlego=1

You can replace any of the set #'s listed in the URL with the ones that you want to find out about.

If you already have a set/parts list in Rebrickable and you want to exclude them from the comparison, simply set setlist=0 and partlist=0 in the URL.

Rebrickable used to make this very easy to do with a nice interface to enter set #'s. No idea why they disabled this when they updated the website a while ago.

Ooooh I like this! I've been toying with the idea to create elbakcirbeR.com, where you enter the set you want to build and the tool tells you what the minimum price combination is of currently available sets that gets you the closest to the original set. E.g.: You want to rebuild 10179, you enter that number, and it gives you a bunch of current Star Wars sets that combined make up 98% of the pieces in 10179, plus a list of the parts you would still need to get (with BrickLink avg price for those pieces), and a list of left-over parts with their 6-month average sales prices on BrickLink :)

Edited by Phil B