60134 - Fun at the Park

Alpinemaps

I apologize if I insulted you. As far as my PC comment goes, it refers to the fact that LEGO decided after 50 years of production, 30 years of minifigures and I have no idea how many sets to feature someone in a wheelchair and use that as a selling point to all the self congratulatory people who feel inclusive now that they have a kid in a wheelchair minifigure. It should be insulting that they never included one before or that it is being touted as revolutionary or interesting. It should be insulting that mainstream media swooped in on it and celebrated that it's here instead of decrying that it never existed before. It's PC because now high minded consumers can feel inclusive, you know, except all the other things that are excluded. I feel like it should have been introduced sort of apologetically "Sorry it took us so long." instead of "Now with added wheelchair!" Maybe I misspoke. But I feel like the prerelease media that touted how exciting it is to include a wheelchair is the same thing that took away from the message of the research scientists. Finally women are shown in the sciences instead of "Look we are showing how inclusive we are!"

LEGO is not the source of the pre-release hype. The hoopla was stirred up by a group called Toy Like Me, who campaigned for figs with disabilities.There was no self congratulating by LEGO. They did confirm that it was the first wheelchair when asked by NPR.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, cladner said:

there's nothing politically correct about a child in a wheelchair minifigure coming from the father of 2 daughters 6 and 7 who will never walk, much less wipe their behind.

I can only imagine how that would be.. but I think you're stomping on the wrong person here. LEGO (and any other toy maker) is in a no-win situation these days with the products that go to market. If we look carefully at this set...

- 8 female minifigs, 5 male minifigs (assuming climber is male) - no even stevens?
- 3 females in traditional male roles (business suit, painter, gardener) - some men still do those jobs, just ask exciter who cuts the grass!
- young man in wheelchair - why not a young woman? Maybe this was a nice middle ground for LEGO.
- grandma, grandpa (in old people clothing) - no park is complete without them
- baby clearly has no gender specified with white outfit - white/yellow/green typically considered gender neutral colors for babies
- man in lumberjack attire setting out the picnic - come on, he should have a chainsaw!
- 4 kids - 2 and 2 but clearly gendered (see below)
- climber seems genderless - nice safe move
- hot dog stand man with mustache - hah, such a traditional chef
- some figs with glasses, some without - nice balance don't you think?
- boys wearing baseball cap and tshirts/hoodie, girls in pink tank tops and star necklaces - girls wear caps and boys wear pink too!

It attempts to meet or break many typical stereotypes so I would say it's an attempt on LEGO's part to be very politically correct (whatever that really means).

So I'll reiterate .. I can't imagine the hardships your family endures, and I express sincere gratitude to all parents who look after kids with disabilities. But I too see this set as very politically correct - and a great place to finally introduce a wheelchair into the LEGO world. For kids who have never been exposed to what life is like in a wheelchair, any kind of exposure is good exposure. That's how we as a society can raise socially responsible kids - by normalizing things that have traditionally been not normal. 

/end soapbox

From an investor angle, this set could be a long term winner if LEGO doesn't produce another set like it. It will appeal to the mass politically correct or not. But I have a sneaky suspicion that it's early popularity means it'll get on someone's radar and be something that gets revisited with a twist such as a slide or climber instead of the spinner. 1x1 tan rounds for the sandbox win!

Edited by gregpj
edit - sorry, looking at a closer picture there is clearly 2 girls and 2 boys, even stevens!
  • Like 6

At the Lego store yesterday, a mom and her kids came in specifically for this set. They were disappointed to find they sold out days ago.

As an alternative, they did have the 40161 "What Am I?" set/game... heh..  perfect name for this set... I mean... What the h_ll is it?  Anyway, it has 16 minifigs for $40... but not the same "fun factor" as the Fun at the Park set.

2 hours ago, Kenxxx said:

At the Lego store yesterday, a mom and her kids came in specifically for this set. They were disappointed to find they sold out days ago.

As an alternative, they did have the 40161 "What Am I?" set/game... heh..  perfect name for this set... I mean... What the h_ll is it?  Anyway, it has 16 minifigs for $40... but not the same "fun factor" as the Fun at the Park set.

If it's the number of minifigs they're after, they should have walked out with Pirate Chess - 32 minifigs for $48 :)

Edited by Phil B
  • Like 1

I've seen these at TRU and the Lego store... they both had plenty. Checked eBay and its about par value. Does not seem hard to come bye.

I think you are missing the point. People want these for their personal collection. Sure, this site is about investing. But it's also about obtaining and chatting about rad sets that they want to add to their collections. They are stoked to find them to get some fountains too for a cool promo.

• Like 4

8 hours ago, thegooch49 said:

I think you are missing the point. People want these for their personal collection. Sure, this site is about investing. But it's also about obtaining and chatting about rad sets that they want to add to their collections. They are stoked to find them to get some fountains too for a cool promo.

I'll probably pick one up with TRUTH. Just saying no stock outs near me, as others mentioned.

• 2 months later...