Those old transparent pieces.....

steveviscious89

Question

13 answers to this question

34 minutes ago, steveviscious89 said:

Well regular ABS plastic sure, but do we know if the transparent pieces, particularly window pieces, are the same exact thing?

Not for sure, but why wouldn't they be? That would pretty silly to have to manage different kinds of plastic like that.

The bottom line is that this isn't easy and some experimentation on your part will be required. There is no easy solution to fixing scratched plastic.

1 hour ago, Rodeogeorge said:

What about the products used for cleaning car headlights?

Well I don't even know if those work for headlights...haha. Plus I don't know if the same 'hazing' that occurs on the headlights is the same thing that happens to these pieces. I figured someone around here as probably bricklinked pieces like that that were in bad condition and wanted to fix it. 

Practice on some elements that's you don't care about. You can try Turtle Wax ICE synthetic car wax on all clear and colored pieces it will fill (not remove) some of those surface scratches thus making them less visible and the part more translucent.  For clear pieces like windows I have read but never tried heating and liquid acrylic.  There should be you tube videos on this.

6 minutes ago, gregpj said:

Not for sure, but why wouldn't they be? That would pretty silly to have to manage different kinds of plastic like that.

The bottom line is that this isn't easy and some experimentation on your part will be required. There is no easy solution to fixing scratched plastic.

I may try getting a kit that is meant to resurface car headlights. Sanding and polishing will be involved. Fortunately I have an older space set I can use to experiment with.

6 minutes ago, steveviscious89 said:

I may try getting a kit that is meant to resurface car headlights. Sanding and polishing will be involved. Fortunately I have an older space set I can use to experiment with.

The rain-x headlight restoration kit's consistently rate at the top of the heap with less muscle power needed... The problem with those restoration kits is that you're removing the manufacturer's original finish! So a sealant is required to maintain the brightness/finish for any length of time. Since the LEGO bricks won't be exposed to the elements, the results _should_ last longer.

The acetone suggestion above is in fact creating a new finish on the item. :)