Are the LEGO F40 and LEGO Mini Cooper Going to Be Retired Soon?

Jeff Mack

Could it be possible that the LEGO Creator Ferrari F40 is already on it's way out the door?  I am sure that most of you would say no.  I would say no?  How could it be, its been out for only a few months?  Maybe it's an error on the LEGO Shop at Home website or maybe its a bad seller and LEGO didn't make a huge run.  I doubt we will even know.  If you do a quick query of 'retired' sets on LEGO S@H, you will see both the Ferrari F40 and the Mini Cooper listed there among the rest of the sets that are already retired.

lego_f40_retired.thumb.jpg.dfeb6f7a2e6ba

The Mini Cooper is no surprise, but the Ferrari would be if this is accurate.  Of course it can just be bugs in their system, but why would that show up with the rest of those and not some keychains.  Both are still available.  The Ferrari F40 has a limit of 2 per order while the Cooper has a limit of 5 per order.  If you haven't picked one up, now might be a good chance to at least grab at least one.  

View full blog article

• Like 1

I't could be retiring soon, i still have my doubt. This is SAH we are talking about so anything can happen there and I take nothing serious on it and i'm begging to doubt the retired product label now. I think the mention of retirement will cause ether the set being produced more if sell climb from the horde or actually causing the set to retire. The F40 could also be a mini tumbler all over again with many on the shelves and Lego wants the slow seller gone.

I'm always weary of a retiring soon label on anything, if my own investment plan has a item that gets a retiring soon label stuck on it, I them move and not buy anymore of it.

Edited by Armor

It's a "hard to find" set because it's still an exclusive set to LEGO Shop at Home (here for the least).

It's the same with other sets (ninjago airjitzu temple..). Some sets are exclusive to Lego for 6 months. Then it becomes available in some other retail shops (Toys'r Us, etc). The "hard to find" tag is removed at that moment.

The "retired" category for this one is a mistake, I would say, especially considering some sets released few weeks ago are listed along.

The F40 isn't going anywhere IMO. However, if you want this set to build, I wouldn't wait... 'cause who knows...

Edited by biniou
  • Like 1

There's a reason for everything. The Mini Cooper has been rumored for retirement for months now. So has the Jurassic Park sets. Technic sets retire early all the time and nobody notices. People pay attention to colors of the "Sold Out," so there could be something to this. I don't see this set as a good seller. But that's just me.

3 hours ago, senteosan said:

In Mini Coopers product page there is drop down menu.

6061191 shows up as retired,
but 6144522 is still available and will be (and will be for a long time, I think).

See the attached picture.

Thanks for sharing this page. I originally ran this query against the US site.  This kinds proves all of their country sites (portal) prob pull from the same database / data warehouse and then each portal renders only want should be displayed to people in that country (inventor, tags, language used, etc...). Country Code is prob "primary key" like Customer ID to help drive everything.  

So that box variation which is fully seen on non-US web sites (e.g. Denmark) does impact how the set is categorized in the US.  

Maybe the sets are returning in "retired" searches because of the word "tire"?  Not sure.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, valenciaeric said:

I think you got it there. Both sets have "tire" in the description text and I think that the search engine probably matches up with words containing 4 or more letter strings.

If that is the case, why isn't it that the Drag Racer and other titles that have multiple "tire" words in their description listed on that page with retired products (there are a lot of sets with "tire" in the description)

http://shop.lego.com/en-US/Drag-Racer-42050

2016-01-15_07-34-06.jpg.4390275ece2e19fd

No idea  but it´s SAH, the world´s best web so anything can happen.

Mini has a coherent explanation as the old box version is retired product. I would need a very good explanation to accept that F40 is retiring any time soon as it is a certified best seller and even Lego has raised the price in some countries.

I have seen many new sets show up when searching for "retired".  when i do the search now the entire first page is full of new sets with tire in the description, so...

I will say however that AT-AT (which definitely has no tires) was definitely showing up in the retired search late last year, so its possible there is something to sets that are available showing up in this search.

Edited by jay4e
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, jay4e said:

I have seen many new sets show up when searching for "retired".  when i do the search now the entire first page is full of new sets with tire in the description, so...

I will say however that AT-AT was definitely showing up in the retired search late last year, so its possible there is something to sets that are available showing up in this search.

Yes, this is nothing new.

Guest TabbyBoy

FWIW... The Mini Cooper and VW Campers on the shelves at John Lewis (Reading) are now all in tatty boxes which tells me they are either slow sellers (customers pick them up and then plonk back on the shelf with extreme vigour) or there's limited supply and the ones on the shelves are returns. LEGO has caught us with our pants down several times and nothing will surprise me now.

F40, Mini & Camper are currently limit 1 in the UK.

New style boxes or old? Seal codes?

I think at least one car will be done this year but we still need a list of new  exclusives to be able to estimate better what will go out to make room. VW seems to still be a strong seller and F40 is only just a non exclusive.

Unless you have access to the code base from which the search for the word 'retired' is executed, it's pure speculation. Back-end application searches aren't necessarily searching what you're reading on a particular page.... they're checking against whatever fields the design says to check against... and those fields aren't always visible to us the users. The partial word search algorithms are well known .. but how loosely they are applied is up to the company itself.

It's an interesting observation but one hardly deserving of wild ass speculations about partial word matching between 'retired' and 'tires'.

• Like 2

Guest TabbyBoy

BTW... If I had to decide on which one to invest, it would be the Mini Cooper due to it's better detail and previous great performance of the Beetle. The F40 is too "Toy Like" and could be as disappointing as the 8169 Lambo (only selling for £100 now with similar RRP in real terms). The VW Camper often sells for RRP+ while still being available by the truckload from "every shop in the universe" meaning that this is a no-brainer.

No idea  but it´s SAH, the world´s best web so anything can happen.

Mini has a coherent explanation as the old box version is retired product. I would need a very good explanation to accept that F40 is retiring any time soon as it is a certified best seller and even Lego has raised the price in some countries.

Certified by who?