Question about set review categories.

After reading so many reviews by other members and their choice of stats, I'm a little confused on this one.

If on a scale from 1-10, with 1 being a common set that was or is available at any major retailer and 10 being insanely exclusive (like Comic-Con exclusive, "The Zombies" set exclusive, grand opening of a LEGO store exclusive, a UK only exclusive!), then why are there so many reviews with the "Exclusivity" rated so high on what would be considered a 'common' or easily available set? Is my logic off? I really need some clarification on this, please!

I am not putting your opinions into question or saying they are wrong, not at all.

I am just trying to understand what my fellow members stance is on 'Exclusivity' when it comes to the review process.

Edit: I have added a general scale for 'Exclusivity'. I will edit it based on everyones feedback.

Exclusivity

1 - Most common & easily available from numerous sources. May sit there for months or are always in stock.

2 - Pretty much every store has them in large quantities.

3 - Good amount of stock at anytime.

4 - Decent abundance of stock. Starting to be limited to major retailers.

5 - Average availability. Not rare & relatively easy to get hold of a few. Most retailers have them.

6 - Slightly more difficult to find or limited production. Not every store has them.

7 - Difficult to find & limited production. Wal-Mart, Target, or Toys R Us exclusives.

8 - Really difficult to find & very limited runs. Tougher to find Wal-Mart, Target, or Toys R Us exclusives.

9 - Items primarily available only from LEGO. LEGO Store & Shop at Home VIP member exclusives.

10 - Very exclusive & insanely difficult to even get one. Comic-Con or Toy Fair exclusives and numbered items.

After reading so many reviews by other members and their choice of stats, I'm a little confused on this one.

If on a scale from 1-10, with 1 being a common set that was or is available at any major retailer and 10 being insanely exclusive (like Comic-Con exclusive, "The Zombies" set exclusive, grand opening of a LEGO store exclusive, a UK only exclusive!), then why are there so many reviews with the "Exclusivity" rated so high on what would be considered a 'common' or easily available set? Is my logic off? I really need some clarification on this, please!

I am not putting your opinions into question or saying they are wrong, not at all.

I am just trying to understand what my fellow members stance is on 'Exclusivity' when it comes to the review process.

For my review I used 5 as my guide. Anything below 5 was a more common set. Anything above 5 was more exclusive. Every person feels different on how exclusive a set is so the numbers are going to vary.

For my review I used 5 as my guide. Anything below 5 was a more common set. Anything above 5 was more exclusive. Every person feels different on how exclusive a set is so the numbers are going to vary.

That helps brings it more into perspective. Thank you.

With that in mind, how would you rate the 'Exclusivity' of the "Planet" sets?

This is a good question. I have thought about this too, specifically with "exclusivity." In my reviews, I will address the exclusivity factor more often than not, but I never know how to rate it either. Good idea for a discussion. Ed - Maybe put like a little "scale" in with the rating section? Put "Rare" by the 1, "Average" by the 5, and "Common" by the 10. Something like that?

After what Ed said (heh, that sounded funny), I think the scale for 'Exclusivity' goes like this.

1 - Very common & easily available from a number of sources. Could also be sets that 'sit there' for months.

5 - Average availability. Not rare and, for the most part, easy to get a hold of but not always.

10 - Very exclusive and insanely difficult to get one.

Average sets you can pick up in most stores I'd go with a 5-6 on my reviews. Things a little harder to come by like Orc Forge being a harder to get set I went 8 and the same for things like big UCS sets were not many of my local retailers carry them or only have them for a very short time. Things like Minecraft or giveaway sets at special events I'd go 10. For things like planets which was mentioned I'd rate 1-3, as they are so easy to find and seem to have been on shelves in big numbers for a decent time period.

I don't think everyone will ever agree on these numbers, but I personally would not say that sets like The Zombies or Minecraft should be a 10. While somewhat limited, they are far away from being really exclusive and giving them a 10 doesn't leave any room for truly exclusive items. If the highest you can rank is a 10, that should be saved for things that are available in very small quantities at very limited venues, for example, the Toy Fair Super Heroes. In my opinion, a 9 would be stuff that is made in slightly larger quantities, but still only available at limited venues or difficult to originally get like Comic Con exclusives or the Chrome Gold C-3PO. It would start to get a little more difficult between 8-6. I would say The Zombies and Minecraft would be between 7-8. Sure, The Zombies weren't around that long, but they were available for several months at dozens if not hundreds of Target locations. If you really wanted a Minecraft set, you could could have easily ordered one online from TRU(ebay), Amazon or S@H during one of its many restocks. All in all, this rating is always going to be extremely subjective, and honestly, probably not very accurate. If someone lives in a small town and can't find set "x" they will rank it as a 10 even though it was sitting on thousands of store shelves everywhere else in the world.

This is a good question. I have thought about this too, specifically with "exclusivity." In my reviews, I will address the exclusivity factor more often than not, but I never know how to rate it either. Good idea for a discussion.

Ed - Maybe put like a little "scale" in with the rating section? Put "Rare" by the 1, "Average" by the 5, and "Common" by the 10. Something like that?

We will see what we can do. As with anything on this site, it is a work in progress. I'll write something up and have Jeff add it to the introduction.

I don't think everyone will ever agree on these numbers, but I personally would not say that sets like The Zombies or Minecraft should be a 10. While somewhat limited, they are far away from being really exclusive and giving them a 10 doesn't leave any room for truly exclusive items. If the highest you can rank is a 10, that should be saved for things that are available in very small quantities at very limited venues, for example, the Toy Fair Super Heroes. In my opinion, a 9 would be stuff that is made in slightly larger quantities, but still only available at limited venues or difficult to originally get like Comic Con exclusives or the Chrome Gold C-3PO. It would start to get a little more difficult between 8-6. I would say The Zombies and Minecraft would be between 7-8. Sure, The Zombies weren't around that long, but they were available for several months at dozens if not hundreds of Target locations. If you really wanted a Minecraft set, you could could have easily ordered one online from TRU(ebay), Amazon or S@H during one of its many restocks.

All in all, this rating is always going to be extremely subjective, and honestly, probably not very accurate. If someone lives in a small town and can't find set "x" they will rank it as a 10 even though it was sitting on thousands of store shelves everywhere else in the world.

I agree. Over time, the review section will become an informative and very popular area of the site. As more people review the sets, a blended and more accurate number will be created. I don't think any set is a perfect 10 by the way....some get very close though.

I guess another consideration is minifigs. If you have a set with two or three minifigs that are exclusive to the set, or maybe several brick parts that are exclusive to the set then that bumps this value up. At least that's what I was thinking. Should that be a consideration as well?

That is a very good point. I think it is a valid consideration. When I evaluate sets, I very much bear in mind which mini figs are exclusive to it. Good thinking Spacewalker95.

I guess another consideration is minifigs. If you have a set with two or three minifigs that are exclusive to the set, or maybe several brick parts that are exclusive to the set then that bumps this value up. At least that's what I was thinking. Should that be a consideration as well?

I was just pondering on that a little while ago. In some small part, the minifigs and/or even some of the pieces included can contribute to 'Exclusivity'.

I don't think everyone will ever agree on these numbers, but I personally would not say that sets like The Zombies or Minecraft should be a 10. While somewhat limited, they are far away from being really exclusive and giving them a 10 doesn't leave any room for truly exclusive items.

It is difficult to come up with a generalized system that works for everyone. I do agree that "The Zombies" doesn't fit at 10, but maybe 7-8. It was difficult to get cause everyone wanted them zombies and was a Target exclusive, but as much as stock went, both Target and the LEGO store was fully loaded with those things. They just flew off the shelves like mad.

"Minecraft" could be a 8 or 9, I guess. It is a CUUSOO set afterall, which is something you never see in store. Or atleast I haven't. But like you mentioned, 10 should be reserved for the ones that are ridiculously exclusive and insanely difficult to even look at one. Shouldn't the Comic-Con exclusive minifigures & tins fall at the 10 spot though? I haven't seen the "Bizarro" minifig from the San Diego Comic-Con anywhere else besides eBay.

If you really wanted a Minecraft set, you could could have easily ordered one online from TRU(ebay), Amazon or S@H during one of its many restocks.

Somehow the words easily and Minecraft really should not be in the same sentence.

Lucky, perhaps. But easily? Hmm....

I was just pondering on that a little while ago. In some small part, the minifigs and/or even some of the pieces included can contribute to 'Exclusivity'.

I don't think everyone will ever agree on these numbers, but I personally would not say that sets like The Zombies or Minecraft should be a 10. While somewhat limited, they are far away from being really exclusive and giving them a 10 doesn't leave any room for truly exclusive items.

It is difficult to come up with a generalized system that works for everyone. I do agree that "The Zombies" doesn't fit at 10, but maybe 7-8. It was difficult to get cause everyone wanted them zombies and was a Target exclusive, but as much as stock went, both Target and the LEGO store was fully loaded with those things. They just flew off the shelves like mad.

"Minecraft" could be a 8 or 9, I guess. It is a CUUSOO set afterall, which is something you never see in store. Or atleast I haven't. But like you mentioned, 10 should be reserved for the ones that are ridiculously exclusive and insanely difficult to even look at one. Shouldn't the Comic-Con exclusive minifigures & tins fall at the 10 spot though? I haven't seen the "Bizarro" minifig from the San Diego Comic-Con anywhere else besides eBay.

If you really wanted a Minecraft set, you could could have easily ordered one online from TRU(ebay), Amazon or S@H during one of its many restocks.

Somehow the words easily and Minecraft really should not be in the same sentence.

Lucky, perhaps. But easily? Hmm....

I agree...A 10 in the "exclusivity" category would be a Comic Con or Toy Fair numbered set. If you can buy it on LEGO S@H, it is not a 10 on my scale when talking about being exclusive. An 8 or 9 is a possibility.

I've added a generalized scale to the main post for further discussion if you wish. Now on to the next category, "Value for Money". What would you consider an average set (scale of 5) be at in this category? I know we try and shoot for the typical $0.10 a piece routine, but that isn't quite the actual average anymore, is it? The lowest I have seen is $0.05 a piece, I think. So that could be the ultimate 10 scale, but what about everything below a scale of 10? I'm sure if we all toss around some ideas on this, we can come up with an average.

I've added a generalized scale to the main post for further discussion if you wish.

Now on to the next category, "Value for Money".

What would you consider an average set (scale of 5) be at in this category?

I know we try and shoot for the typical $0.10 a piece routine, but that isn't quite the actual average anymore, is it?

The lowest I have seen is $0.05 a piece, I think. So that could be the ultimate 10 scale, but what about everything below a scale of 10?

I'm sure if we all toss around some ideas on this, we can come up with an average.

Darth Lego- $0.10 a piece is more average for the non-licensed theme like City. $0.10 a piece for Star Wars or Superheros is not average. (More like $0.11-$0.13)

$0.10 a piece is more average for the non-licensed theme like City. $0.10 a piece for Star Wars or Superheros is not average. (More like $0.11-$0.13)

I think that is a good assessment. There is a bit of discrepancy between themes, like a few cents differance in average.

So in general, on the scale of 5 for the average set, would $0.10-$0.15 a piece sound right?

(This is only accounting for the basic price per piece count, not including limited minifigures or parts.)

I think that is a good assessment. There is a bit of discrepancy between themes, like a few cents differance in average.

So in general, on the scale of 5 for the average set, would $0.10-$0.15 a piece sound right?

(This is only accounting for the basic price per piece count, not including limited minifigures or parts.)

Yes, that sounds about right.

Yes, that sounds about right.Cool. That takes care of the basic price per piece part, now how would one go about including minifigures in the mix?

For example, DC Superheroes "Arctic Batman vs Mr Freeze" is a good one. It is right at the $0.10 a piece count, and includes three great minifigures that can be parted out for profit. (It will happen, trust me. People were and still are selling all three minifigs included from "Wolverine's Chopper Showdown" separately for a good profit.) I am thinking that the set itself would be a 5, and then add 1 for the cool minifigures.

On the scale it would look like:

5 ($0.10 a piece count) + 1 (unique minifigures) = Scale of 6

How about that? I'm not sure about going up to 7 on this set.