Can you help me with feedback on a lego rental service idea?

Arno_Arno

Question

Hi everybody,

Happy new year!

I am new at the forum because I am looking for feedback on a idea that I have. I am working on a lego rental service for my hometown (Amsterdam). The legosets for rental that I am thinking about are the more special sets (16+ series) to attract a older target audience. I now have for rental set 10220, 10221 and 10234. 

My guess is that people like to rent a set so that they can build without the cost and without having to deal with the lego after they are done with it. 

I found out that there are many services like this (in the states) and I am curious on your point of view on this services and if you can give me feedback on my idea.

• Would you be interested in renting a legoset?
  • What would be a fair rental price?
  • How long would you like to have a legoset at home?
  • What are things that I should think about with renting out lego?
  • Anything else?

It would be great to have a discussing with you on this topic, maybe we can inspire each other and get some ideas going.

Best wishes for 2016,

Cheers,

Arno

Edited by Arno_Arno

11 answers to this question

There are many Lego rental businesses popping up in the US. Most users here (and collector's in general) are more than skeptical about the business model working.

I am sure that you can search the internet and find many discussion boards which would address the pros & cons of this business model, and its long term prospects.

Also, while going after the high end builder might seem rewarding, I would expect it would also attract a lot more problems/issues, and a much more unforgiving client base.

Edited by KShine
  • Like 1

Kshine thank you so much for your quick response and insights. I appreciate your suggestion for discussion boards, I will definitely look into this, maybe you can help me with some website suggestions to look at?

Problems and issues I like to keep to a minimum, could you elaborate more on the things you are thinking about?

I like to get more forum members into this thread to get more opinions, do you have advice how to get them in?

I hate to rain on your parade, I really do but I think that renting out lego sets is not a good idea. I feel like the similar businesses out there are giving the impression that its a thriving market but I just can see how it can be. I could be 100% wrong but I just don't feel alot of people out there want to go through the hassle of renting then returning sets. I do not want to discourage you in any way  if this is really something you want to do. Go for it but I think there is a tough road ahead if you decide to.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Arno_Arno said:

Kshine thank you so much for your quick response and insights. I appreciate your suggestion for discussion boards, I will definitely look into this, maybe you can help me with some website suggestions to look at?

Problems and issues I like to keep to a minimum, could you elaborate more on the things you are thinking about?

I like to get more forum members into this thread to get more opinions, do you have advice how to get them in?

Pley.com is the first company I saw doing this.  I would imagine lost pieces is a problem. 

Good luck to you! 

Edited by mudcatsfan

Like others here, it's an interesting idea, but at first glance... seems it would be difficult to make it work. The AFOL who might be interested in this service, in general likes order, likes to follow instructions, and see his creation turn out perfect.  Getting halfway through the build of a 10220 VW T1, and then discovering that one piece is missing can be infuriating. And how much could you rent the set for?  Looking at USA economics (I don't know anything about Amsterdam) I could buy this set for US $120 (or less).  I might consider renting it for maybe, $50... or $60?  For me... that would be about the maximum.  Anything over half the MSRP, and I would prefer to just buy it. So if your customer rents it for $60, there are delivery costs to consider ... maybe $10-$20 each time it is shipped... so that leaves you with about $40 revenue.  Then - when the customer returns it - I would assume your company would have to disassemble and repackage the bricks... or at the very least, do a careful inventory of the 1332 pieces. That will take hours. How much will you pay the person who has to do this?  And these are just  the first few roadblocks I can think of. I'm sure there are many more. I just don't see much profit in it.

Hey Arno,

Since you're from Holland, you might have heard of this: http://www.destentor.nl/regio/lochem/legotheek-voor-eefde-1.5413704.

Hard to say if I would be in for renting a lego set for building and returning afterwards. I guess I'm more a collector and I like to mix and match the bricks to make new creations.

Regards and keep me posted on the plans!

Emiel

Hi Everybody,

Thank you so much for the feedback, you are amazing, I am very happy to have find this forum!

I will now try and find my first customer to experience what problems there are.

To avoid losing bricks:

• I will weigh the bricks before and after;
  • I will try and find a plastic box with spaces to sort the pieces;
  • I will also ask the renters to deliver the build in one piece so I can deconstruct it and sort the bricks.

I will also higher the rental price to try and make a profit.

If you have and more advice or feedback on the idea I would love to receive it!

When I have more experience with renters I will get back to you!

Thank you so much again.

Cheers,

Arno

This is a great idea. These start ups buy a lot of sets (including retired sets) to get off the ground. If you follow the forum you can remember posts of sellers here unloading a fair amount of sets to the same buyer to start up their rental service. The actual service I think has to many problems, but if you buy a bunch of sets from me to do it, that would be great