Customer Mapping

kfishe2

When I was buying/selling a lot of baseball cards, I did the same thing.  I would say that over half of my sales went to New York City and the state of California, for obvious reasons.  It was fun to show the kids, though they were really small at the time.  I had sales to all 50 states, but took awhile to get stuff to sparsely populated states such as Montana.  Kind of wish I would have started over when starting the Lego hobby, but never did. 

It started because we were going to use most of the profits from our venture to help pay for a trip to Disney World. Since we would be pulling our son out of kindergarten for a week, the school requires it to be an educational trip. I know there are websites devoted to showing how Disney IS educational, but we wanted to really do it. So this was just one facet of getting ready for the trip. One side result is when we are looking at a potential set to sell or to keep for ourselves, I can just ask my son, "would you rather keep this set and build it, or if we sell it it could pay for an extra day at Disney?" Almost 100% of his answers have been to sell. Plus he gets to get some kind of concept about how big our country is. Right now everything is measured in his standard units, like "this city is 10 trips to grandmas house away", or "82 episodes of Phineas and Ferb away."

I was really into geography as a kid. This map is actually 30 some tears old. I got it out of one of my dad's National Geographic magazines. I still have a collection of maps from those magazines.

When I look at the map, I know that I do have sales going out to affluent areas in California, but they are mostly smaller items that I can do free first class shipping on. I could offer free shipping and expand to those areas, but thanks partly to my map I also can see that a large portion of my larger sets go to New Jersey with customer-paid shipping. So there is obviously a market close to me for my items that I can tap into and have them pay for shipping. 

• Like 3

This is really interesting to me as I live very close to you (geographically speaking anyway) in Montgomery county, PA and I don't sell a lot of big sets, I mostly sell parts on bricklink, and the vast majority of my orders seem to come from California and Oregon. Very few that are even kind of local. My daughter will start kindergarten this September, so I think I'll also try to make use of your idea so she can learn a little more about these places. Thanks for taking it one step beyond simple customer mapping and making it a great lesson plan!

This is really interesting to me as I live very close to you (geographically speaking anyway) in Montgomery county, PA and I don't sell a lot of big sets, I mostly sell parts on bricklink, and the vast majority of my orders seem to come from California and Oregon. Very few that are even kind of local. My daughter will start kindergarten this September, so I think I'll also try to make use of your idea so she can learn a little more about these places. Thanks for taking it one step beyond simple customer mapping and making it a great lesson plan!

I guess I should be specific on "large set". For me its one between $75-$200 and where I make my most money. Might not be the same definition for everyone. Looking back, I should have used the different pin colors to represent different types of sets or different values . That way you could really see where your different customers were. Might be something for anyone who is going to start their own.

If you can please at least teach him Canada as well and that we're not one big blob like it is on that map... lol.

As soon as we get a Canadian sale it will get added! We already have a list of 10 or so countries for him to research after he is done with his states. Sometimes I want to have a free shipping promotion to certain states so we can complete our set of 50. "Free shipping for buyers for North Dakota !"

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

Looks awesome. By the time you buy a standard large map and frame and pins you would be close to $50 anyway. And it wouldn't have 200 tiny pin holes all over it like mine!