42009 mobile crane mkII problems

kuiper1982

Question

Hi folks,
I seem to be having a problem with my 42009 crane mkII. I've built the main body of the crane and found that when I've wound the gear to extend the legs out only the front ones extend out for some reason and not the rear set.
Problem number two is with the superstructure with all the gears. I've built it twice following the instructions. Each time with the connecting pin that goes from there to the main crane body won't turn for some reason either. I am kind of at a loss as to why it is happening. Is there any ideas folks?? Many thank

4 answers to this question

4 hours ago, kuiper1982 said:

Hi folks,
I seem to be having a problem with my 42009 crane mkII. I've built the main body of the crane and found that when I've wound the gear to extend the legs out only the front ones extend out for some reason and not the rear set.
Problem number two is with the superstructure with all the gears. I've built it twice following the instructions. Each time with the connecting pin that goes from there to the main crane body won't turn for some reason either. I am kind of at a loss as to why it is happening. Is there any ideas folks?? Many thank

Can you take some pictures of the assembly?

When I assembled my 42009 I made a mistake in the main gear area, I only noticed about 30 steps later but it was fairly easy to rectify.

My guess is that you're not meshing a couple gears properly (either you're going through the wrong hole in the bricks or you've used the wrong gears) and that it is simply not transferring the rotating motion to the next set of gears and axles.

It's ridiculously easy to make a mistake in the gear trains and gear box on 42009.  I, too, had the reverse-operating leg problem you had.  I disassembled, and went over the instructions with a fine-toothed comb and found I had reversed a gear on a shaft that caused the problem.  Rest assured 42009 works perfectly when properly assembled, and as painful as it is to admit, you may have to backtrack on the instructions to find your mistake.

Edited by diablo2112